Repashy Superfoods for fish

Items for sale in the United States of America and Canada.
tjudy
My cats species list: 13 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:115)
Spotted: 24
Location 1: Stoughton, Wisconsin
Interests: aquariums

Repashy Superfoods for fish

Post by tjudy »

Allen Repashy is releasing a new line of his excellent gel foods, and these will be for fish! I think these gel foods are going to change the way we think about feeding fish. I posted a video in my blog about the food: http://tedsfishroom.com/2012/01/13/rapa ... tock-shop/

The lists of ingredients can be found on the product pages: http://tedsfishroom.com/store/products/ ... ent-green/

The only loricarids I keep are bristle-nose plecos. They love any of the formulas I have given them, but I feed them mostly the Community Plus and Soilent Green. I have a lot of cories that go nuts over the food too, especially Meat Pie. Eric Bodrock and Stephan Tanner were also testing the food, and are pretty high on it as well. Stephan is also selling it.

Check out the video... the fish reaction to the food is pretty cool to watch.
Coursair
My cats species list: 3 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
Location 2: California USA

Re: Repashy Superfoods for fish

Post by Coursair »

I'm a Beta tester for his new gel foods and my Shrimp and Fish LOVE the food !!
ars
My cats species list: 19 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 11 (i:1, p:397)
Location 2: Madison, WI, USA
Interests: Corys... corys... corys...

Post by ars »

Definitely recommend Meat Pie for cory keepers. My corys love this food!
bsmith
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: St.Louis, MO

Post by bsmith »

That looks like a great food for my pleco fry. I see the amounts he sells but how much food can you make from an oz of the food?
nvcichlids
My images: 6
My cats species list: 44 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 6 (i:4, p:279)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: Milwaukee, WI
Location 2: Waimate, New Zealand

Post by nvcichlids »

There is an explaination on our local fish club by Ted explaining it a bit more.

"I just did a better cost analysis on the food (I found a food scale!!!!). 1 oz of powder using the 3:1 mix ratio makes one pound of food. In my video, those deli cups hold roughly 1/2 pound of food. So a 2 oz packet of food will make FOUR of those deli cups."

here is a link to the club's site with all the explainations.

http://madisonaquatichobby.com/forum/vi ... 4&start=10
What's your favorite Dressing~~
tjudy

Post by tjudy »

About price comparisons... comparing dry weight Repashy to dry weight of a flake or pellet, the Repashy is going to be more expensive. But imo there is less waste and the the delivery system for getting the food into the fish is more efficient. What I was trying to point out my local clubs forums was that comparing cost of feeding to feeding is comparable, because in the end I feed less Rapashy (dry weight) than a flake/pellet food in a week and still get excellent results.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

tjudy wrote:About price comparisons... comparing dry weight Repashy to dry weight of a flake or pellet, the Repashy is going to be more expensive. But imo there is less waste and the the delivery system for getting the food into the fish is more efficient. What I was trying to point out my local clubs forums was that comparing cost of feeding to feeding is comparable, because in the end I feed less Rapashy (dry weight) than a flake/pellet food in a week and still get excellent results.
Comparing dry v dry would be silly IMO. I am going to order some, probably the “aufwuchs” packed 'soilent green' since I believe that “aufwuchs” is the German term for the microorganisms that thrive on leaf litter and the drift woods we have in our tanks, and the community plus (unless you or anyone else has a better idea for cories, Sclromystax and L183 Starlight bristle nose plecos).

If I used circular or square containers I could get 16 either pie shaped slices or 9nice cubes. I would think that one of those would last at least a day and if I fed them one ever 2 days that's a bit over a month. But I would be supplementing with the dry foods I have too so it would be a great addition to any feeding regime it seems.

What is the recommended storage for the food after it has been hydrated, how long will the hydrated food last in the fridge/freezer and do you know the shelf life of the powder pre-hydration?

Thanks, this stuff has me excited!
jvision
My cats species list: 26 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:41)
Location 1: Edmonton, Canada
Location 2: Edmonton, Canada

Post by jvision »

Does anyone know of a distributor for Canada?
Jason M.
L. triactis
P. changae
L128
L34
L349
Uraguay Bristlenose
Common Bristlenose (albino, albino longfin, regular)
C. trilineatus; C. hastatus; C. paleatus 'longfin'; C. elegans; C. pygmaeus; C. aneus
tjudy

Post by tjudy »

What is the recommended storage for the food after it has been hydrated, how long will the hydrated food last in the fridge/freezer and do you know the shelf life of the powder pre-hydration?
Shelf life of the powder is 18 - 24 months. In a fridge the gel will last a couple weeks, and in a freezer a year. Basically, treat the gel like human food that will spoil.
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Post by andregurov »

Has this food been tested with fry? How long does it stay in gel form (under normal conditions) in an aquarium? I'm sorry if these have been answered in the vids ... my player doesn't function on my computer so I can't watch them.
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
tjudy

Post by tjudy »

The gel takes 24 - 48 hours to dissolve in water. The food is excellent for fry because it is available for them to graze on for hours and hours. The specific application of feeding fry is what caught my attention right from the start.
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

What about small fry like tetras? Are they attracted to it, or have to wait till they learn to take it?

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
tjudy

Post by tjudy »

I have been feeding it to all fry, including tetras. Yes, they have to learn what it is, but that does not take very long. I have also been starting fry on the dry powder sprinkled over the water surface like a micro food or APR.
tjudy

Post by tjudy »

Does anyone know of a distributor for Canada?
I do not know of one yet, but I will ship to Canada.
jvision

Post by jvision »

PMed
Jason M.
L. triactis
P. changae
L128
L34
L349
Uraguay Bristlenose
C. trilineatus; C. hastatus; C. paleatus 'longfin'; C. elegans; C. pygmaeus; C. aneus
CanadaPleco
My images: 1
My cats species list: 17 (i:1, k:0)
Location 2: Haliburton, Ontario, Canada

Post by CanadaPleco »

All my fish have been going crazy over the foods. I am also selling it now because my fish love it so much http://www.canadapleco.com/store/
CanadaPleco.com - Pleco forums for Canadians
LDA105, L24, L25, L282, L97, L114, L600, L450, L333 "Porto Do Moz", LDA-05
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I have ordered some to try out, but initial responses from my local club members is that it stinks to high heaven during preperation. If I mix this up in the kitchen... am I going to be sleeping in the doghouse? I would be curious to hear if others are finding the smell to be an issue.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
megacat
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Canada/USA

Post by megacat »

jvision wrote:Does anyone know of a distributor for Canada?
Here is the distributors site.

http://www.northerngecko.net/wholesale- ... ities.html
jvision

Post by jvision »

Shoot me a PM for a 10% discount at Ted's Fishroom
Jason M.
L. triactis
P. changae
L128
L34
L349
Uraguay Bristlenose
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Shane wrote:If I mix this up in the kitchen... am I going to be sleeping in the doghouse?
Mix it up in the doghouse then? :-) I have some coming to the UK (I hope) so very interested too.

Cheers,

Jools
tjudy

Post by tjudy »

Shane.... I have not noticed a horrible odor, but I mix it differently than the directions on the package (which tell you to mix it while the water is cold and microwave it until it boils). I put the powder in a bowl and then ad boiling water to it while whisking. Standing over it I do not get a horrible odor. I suspect that boiling it in a microwave would release a lot more gases as it bubbles. Maybe that is the source of the stink.
verbal
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Location 2: Reston, VA, USA

Post by verbal »

tjudy wrote:Shane.... I have not noticed a horrible odor, but I mix it differently than the directions on the package (which tell you to mix it while the water is cold and microwave it until it boils). I put the powder in a bowl and then ad boiling water to it while whisking.
I did the same and the odor was strong but not horrible. I then baked brownies and my wife never noticed there was a smell :)
Thank you for your support of the 2014 All-Aquarium Catfish Convention
http://catfishcon.com
Hope to see you in 2016
NorthernGecko
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Toronto

Post by NorthernGecko »

jvision wrote:Does anyone know of a distributor for Canada?
I am the distributor for Repashy Superfoods in Canada: Northern Gecko Specialty Pet & Pet Products. We are looking for more Canadian Resellers or you can buy direct from us.

Go to www.northerngecko.net and look under Repashy Fish Food Gels. You can also check for authorized Canadian resellers in your area on the Repashy Resellers list.

Thanks,
Mark.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

So is everyone making 1oz (powder) then just keeping the prepared food in the freezer/fridge in a Tupperware/baggie and this is working out well?>
tjudy

Post by tjudy »

I mix up 1 oz or so at a time and store it in the fridge. It is good for two weeks or so, but it only takes me a few days to feed it all. If you are mixing very small amounts, it works better to mix the powder with cold water and then heat it until boiling in a microwave. Use a container that has plenty of room, or it will boil over. I have done a total volume of 1 oz (water and food combined) this way, and it only takes about 15 seconds to boil... so watch closely!
bassgenie
My cats species list: 14 (i:1, k:0)
Location 2: USA, NY

Post by bassgenie »

Ted, I ordered the Solient Green from you All my plecos took it. The ABN's, Syndosis and Flash plecos especially loved it. Thanks for getting it to me so quick!
Thanks, Josh
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

I ordered 2oz of the meat pie last week, just waiting for it to arrive.

Think I'm going to pour it into ice cube trays and keep it in the freezer
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

It honestly goes fast enough there isn't much need to freeze it, at least at my house. I have tried all four of the formulas now, and my fish really love it. I think it will be a great way to potentially medicate fish, by getting them to eat small doses of metro or what have you in food they easily recognize.

My husband claimed the smell was enough to gag him and I prepared it by adding boiling hot water to the dry ingredients and stirring. It smells like a multivitamin, IMO, but I think that's a good thing for the fish. It's definitely a great idea and I'm getting the little nano fish at the store to eat more regularly than I ever did trying the micro foods. My display tank fish are evenly gaining weight instead of a few that look rotund and a few that are obviously struggling, also. All in all, I'm pleased so far :).

Barbie
tjudy

Post by tjudy »

I have had some feedback on using Repashy to medicate. The trick is to add the medications when the food has cooled enough to not negatively affect the medication. Metro is pretty heat tolerant, so it can go in after the mix has only cooled slightly. Antibiotics are less heat tolerant, so what users have been doing is mixing a batch continuously stir it as it cools. When the food starts to set they add the antibiotic and keep stirring until it starts to resist stirring.

I would like to learn more about dosing. If anyone is using REpashy to administer medications, please share how much medication you are using in how much food, and what your rate of feeding is. Logically, we should be able to use less than a full tank dose because the food is (hopefully) being ingested.
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

I can personally vouch that adding antibiotic only after it has cooled dramatically does work, and does work wonders. I dosed Kanamycin for an internal bacterial infection that ran rampant through one of my racks. Dosing the system did practically nothing, but only two fish refused to eat the gel. One of them is no longer alive, but the other does seem to be improving at it's own pace in a stand alone quarantine.

There was some concern about whether it would be possible to treat the gel with antibiotic because of the high temperature. It is definitely possible, but don't rush adding the medication.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.

Return to “For Sale (USA & Canada)”