Short-bodied fish in the aquarium trade

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
coelacanth
My articles: 1
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Short-bodied fish in the aquarium trade

Post by coelacanth »

Been asked a question elsewhere on how these things are produced (specifically in relation to Pangasius in this case), can anyone elaborate?

Pete
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Re: Short-bodied fish in the aquarium trade

Post by Bas Pels »

I think it is an affect of inbreeding for generations

After a few generations defects pop up. This can be albinism, extra long - or short - fins, deformed gill covers or, as stated, missing vertebrae resulting in short bodied fish.
cats have whiskers
coelacanth
My images: 2
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Bolton, UK
Location 2: UK
Interests: All things Aquatic

Post by coelacanth »

I'm not sure, the results are too consistent, too uniform and seen in too many species for it to be selective breeding in my opinion, plus I think the producers of these fish want faster results than waiting for things like Paroon Sharks etc. to reach maturity to produce a next generation (from which they would then have to select those fish with the desirable traits, grow them on etc. etc.)
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

There are several methods used by laboratories and farms to force mutation. There are a handful of mutagenic chemicals used to force these in labs studying genetics, and most of the strains I'm aware of from publications, Brachydanio rerio, appear to breed true provided they are given proper care for the strain. One strain of B. rerio, commonly referred to as vampire, cannot withstand light at any stage of its life cycle.

Likewise, hyperbaric chambers are often used to force other mutations. This is most common for polyploid carp and catfish. However, there are other mutations that do show up from time to time.

I don't know if either of these are being used to produce these fish, but genetic variations have seemed to increase several fold over the past twenty years. Likewise, short-body/balloon and longfin traits showing up in so many fish in such a short time (when compared to the time a species has been kept) seems a bit odd. To think the information for using either method is readily available, and not being used by some farm somewhere, seems a bit naive to me.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

I suspect there is some way to produce some types of disabilities in fish, notably the "short body"/"balloon" shape, which does not rely on finding random mutations or inbreeding. I would guess the early stages of development is interfered with through chemicals or e.g. temperature shock. A quick google scholar search shows that treating developing zebrafish embryos with retinoic acid or methyl mercury results in animals with fused vertebrae, i.e. "balloon" shaped fish. There are, however, also mutant zebrafish in which fused vertebrae is a hereditary trait. I've never owned a "balloon" fish and never intend to, so I do not know whether the offspring of "balloon" fish are normal or have the same disability as their parents.
-- Disclaimer: All I write is strictly my personal and frequently uninformed opinion, I do not speak for the Swedish Museum of Natural History or FishBase! --

Return to “Speak Easy”