Checking egg clutches

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Pinkerton11
Location 2: Hungary

Checking egg clutches

Post by Pinkerton11 »

Hello,

My ancistrus catfish recently spawned in a "cave" which is really a ceramic tube. I really would like a rough egg count as I can't see well into the cave from outside the aquarium, however I don't want to disturb the male protecting the clutch.

If I pick up the tube for a few seconds to estimate the number of eggs, will the male stop protecting the eggs?
What if I keep it in the water and the male never leaves the cave?

Thanks!
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Re: Checking egg clutches

Post by pleco_breeder »

It's better to set the cave so you can see inside before the spawn happens. However, it's not always possible outside breeding tanks to figure where the eggs are going to be laid.

It is possible, and I've done it myself. With that being said, it shouldn't surprise you if the male kicks the eggs out of the cave if you try it. I seriously doubt the male leaving the cave though. I regularly use caves to move fish rather than stressing them by chasing around the tank.

If he kicks the eggs, there are a couple things you can try that have worked in the past in my tanks. First, I try to simply put the eggs back in the cave. They usually continue fanning them as if they were never kicked out. On occasion, he will kick them out again.

If that happens, I usually try hatching them in an artificial mouth. If the water is clean, I can usually still get a decent hatch doing this. It won't compare to the male taking care of them, but is possible.

In the end, the choice is yours, but be careful and be prepared for whatever the consequence.

Larry
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Pinkerton11
Location 2: Hungary

Re: Checking egg clutches

Post by Pinkerton11 »

Thanks for the prompt response and advice.

I think Ill leave the clutch alone. This is my first batch of ancistrus fry and Im pretty excited for their arrival and wouldn't want to mess anything up.

I'll re-position the tube for the next spawn.

Thanks!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”