My Public Aquarium: exhibit blues - how to make them?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Re: My Public Aquarium: exhibit blues - how to make them?

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
Stands 4.JPG
Stands 5.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
NCE12940
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Midland
Location 2: Texas

Post by NCE12940 »

Still a fascinating journey. :-BD I might just have to make a trip to Florida one of these days.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

NCE12940 wrote:Still a fascinating journey. :-BD I might just have to make a trip to Florida one of these days.
That is what I think every time I check in to this thread.

Jools
Bioaquatix
My cats species list: 8 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: FL
Location 2: Florida

Post by Bioaquatix »

What a massive build. Looks like it is moving along. A few opinions and thoughts;

Shade cloth, in my experience raising fish outside in greenhouses i find the Florida summer heat is brutal. I have a mix of 30% & 50% shade and feel that is not enough. Some of my vats in the greenhouse kept near 85F most of the summer. When i get the money and energy I would like to swap out for 80% or higher.

Sump, the sump is a great idea. It is always nice to have extra water volume and easy access to your system. You can place other equipment in there to hide from the main tank or tanks. For biological filtration I have found that a fluidized bed filter to be superb. You get great surface area for bacteria. The key is to get a coarse grade of sand so it does not become a rock when shut off. Something the size of aragonite but not aragonite since anything calcium will dissolve away. I have tried some gravel at the bottom as well to prevent a clog. You dont need as much sand as most people will tell you. Depending on the diameter of the tower you only need a few inches of sand. Once it is floating a couple of feet you get a massive bio filter.
Current Breeding projects; Clown Loach, Cardinal Tetras, Royal Farlowela, Panda Gara, Panda Loach.

http://www.bioaquatix.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thanks guys for your interest, good wishes, and suggestions.

Small update. I bought the pumps - twenty Aquasurge 5000's, so will try to use just one pump type for all my needs. Submersible (quiet), asynchronous drive, 360 W, 5300 GPH at 0' of head, ~5000 GPH at ~5', which is ~ where I am.

Also, got a 500 gal PE water tank from Craiglist to use as a mechanical pre-filter or an analog of an aquasock. Drilled 1.5" holes.

Will line with two layers of the Poly-Flo green 1" medium density mechanical filtration pad (got a 56" x 120' roll). Not sure if this will pass through 30,000 GPH (15,000 GPH, three pumps per each 4500 gal tank) but will have to play with it. Can raise the pre-filter higher with blocks (the sump is 5' deep) and/or take out one pad layer. The idea is to rinse the pad 1-2 times a week right inside the pre-filter and vacuum the muck out. If does not work, take the pad out, rinse, and reinstall.

Four more pre-filters for other exhibits are planned to be made, probably the same way. There will be lots of PE shavings from the drilling. I am thinking of using the shavings as media for bio-filtration.
Attachments
500 gal aquasock before.JPG
500 gal aquasock after.JPG
500 gal aquasock shavings.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Oct 27, 2014. Have been plumbing the 4500's and filling them gradually over a week letting the tanks and the stands adjust slowly. Never mind the tannin-stained water - I am using straight well water for testing and plumbing purposes. When all holds, will switch to mainly RO + some well water.
Attachments
Tanks half-full 1.JPG
Tanks half-full 2.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

Post by JamesFish »

Wow - I wish I could do a project like this. Good luck and look forward to watching this develope. For everyone who would love to do this and can't for various reasons please keep us updated.
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nov 10, 2014. Thank you all guys for support.

A major milestone. The 4500's are full and running. Pumped down two outside ponds and transferred the tropicals and Co inside as the nights and the water temp outside are getting too cold.

The tank water is still colored yellow (plus blue paint produces green appearance). Tannin. Still at about 30% raw well water and 70% RO. Hopefully, in a few weeks it will be about colorless and the turbidity will subside too. Both also dim the lighting.

Need much better lighting for good photos. Just some quick and dirty for now. With a flash (one included) the pics are far better but have no depth, of course, as all gets blacked out in the background.

I have to get an upper hand on the parasites. Even an ~15 min ~10-20 ppm KMnO4 potassium permanganate soak has not killed all external bugs, it appears, as the fish are rubbing somewhat. The internal are being addressed through water (metro + prazi currently) and hopefully through food in a week or so. Need a good Epsom salt cleanse too. Have not had the time to quarantine. November has been unusually cool this year.
Attachments
both.JPG
right 1.JPG
right 2.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
right 3.JPG
right 4.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

The other 4500:
Attachments
left 1.JPG
left 2.JPG
left 3.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
left 4.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

With a flash:
Attachments
left 5 flash.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Amazing!
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
NCE12940

Post by NCE12940 »

No question that I'm going to have to make a trip to Florida! :-BD
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nov 13, 2014. Thanks guys! You might have to wait a bit though...

Well, you aim for best but get the usual. The first iteration was short-lived and blew up in my face. Nov 12 around 4 am, the 15,000 gal sump / water reserve caved in. I walked into the fish room flooded to the ankle, silt in the tanks, one tank overflowing, the other half full, ~700 cinder blocks fallen inside the sump, and a mud and ground slide too.

Based on evidence, my view of what happened is that my home-made plug-resistant drain grate was not nearly resistant enough. 15,000 GPH in a 4" drain create quite a suction. A fish was unable to free itself from it. A smaller fish. I had previously observed larger fish to overcome this without a significant effort. (Of course, if a fish died, any fish, the sad result would have been the same.)

The water has been overflowing for some hours and some of it found its way around the sump, weakening the ground. The six 5000 GPH pumps eventually pumped out ~80% of water and then, when the water pressure from the inside of the sump got too small, the collapse of the sump walls, the mud slide, and the falling of the blocks inside occurred.

The blocks have been just stacked up in 5 layers (6th layer in ground), no posts or rebar, etc. just some filled with dirt - I had built it to never give in to the water pressure and to always have a minimum water level inside the sump to keep it from caving in. Bad thinking. Haste and cutting corners makes waste... sometimes.

Would not be the first time. If God is willing, we shall keep tinkering. Just a learning experience which set us back by a few weeks and some $$.

Rehomed the fish. Pulled out the blocks, the shade cloth (1500'x10' for biomedia), the shade cloth weights, etc. Need to get the liner out and the underlayment, shovel out the mud and begin again. Now with posts and braces.

Also, I experimented with using economical, thin-wall, PE, flexible, corrugated drainage pipes for both incoming (4" each pipe - one for each 5000 GPH pump) and draining water (6" pipe for each tank). My water pressures are all less than 3 psi. 6' of water is 3 psi for reference.

While it works well for the incoming part, it's not worth it for the draining part. Lots of pluses but the minuses are just terrible. Besides, I've learned there is a good chance I can make it work with a 4" drain, not 6". For reference, my 5000 GPH pump fills only ~30%-40% of the 4” corrugated pipe cross section. So I'll switch out to 4" PVC. 4" PVC is far cheaper than 6" too.

(Oh yeah, sadly, lost some fish too.)
Attachments
111-1.JPG
111-2.JPG
111-3.JPG
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 14 Nov 2014, 03:05, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Attachments
111-4.JPG
111-5.JPG
111-6.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Incoming pipes - six 4" corrugated pipes. The pipes come up sharply and then slope down very gently and have a hole in each at the highest point to prevent both filling up (too much weight) and siphoning water out when turned off.
Attachments
111-7.JPG
111-8.JPG
111-9.JPG
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 13 Nov 2014, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

6" drain pipes:
Attachments
111-10.JPG
111-11.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
2wheelsx2
My cats species list: 71 (i:3, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:3)
Location 1: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Location 2: BC, Canada
Interests: motorcycles, tropical fish, car detailing

Post by 2wheelsx2 »

Sorry to hear of the minor setback (as that's all it is in a project as big as yours). Perhaps a "cage" around the drain will prevent this from happening in the future? Preventing contact with the immediate space around the drain should alleviate the suction problem.
Bioaquatix
My cats species list: 8 (i:1, k:0)
Location 1: FL
Location 2: Florida

Post by Bioaquatix »

Sorry to hear about your set back. It is tough to consider all the possibilities until some of them happen.

That is a huge amount of weight to try to hold together. What other options are you looking at for a sump?
Current Breeding projects; Clown Loach, Cardinal Tetras, Royal Farlowela, Panda Gara, Panda Loach.

http://www.bioaquatix.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Thank you, guys. As stated, I am thinking of putting up wooden posts or poles and tying them overhead with each other with braces. Also pondering about starting with blocks from the very bottom and not from the top of the berm around the pond as it had been made before, or attaching pressure treated plywood sheets to the posts, or rebar, etc. I am pondering whether to let the banks slope some and not make them ~vertical as the last time, since I decided not to "hang" the shade cloth biomedia but to spread it around randomly.

Originally, I was looking for an above ground pool that I thought I could dig into the ground ~1.5' but I failed to find the right size, the right kind, and the right price on Craigslist, etc. I needed no liner, just the form. New are too expensive and would be rather a waste in my crude application. I was looking at a bunch of hard wall pools, having looked and considered and discarded the soft wall ones.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
rcbows
My cats species list: 41 (i:40, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:49)
Location 1: Zephyrhills, FL 33540
Location 2: United States
Interests: Tropical Fish, Catfish, raising all animals.

Post by rcbows »

Hey Mats you are wrong, about breaking aquarium glass! (Earlier Post)

It is very easy to break an aquarium glass. I had a 55 gallon all set up, actually 3 in a row and I needed to take the end tank out! I emptied it completely and tried to jockey it out of position. I nicked the corner of the next tank with the empty one, the fully loaded tank with fish and water,"EXPLODED" all over the fish room hit my leg and cut it up badly. I wasn't standing right in front of it so I don't know what the results would have been, if I was but I was lucky anyways. I saved all the fish except one which went under a counter and I didn't find him for about a week later. I was sweeping glass and gravel up for at least a month after that!

Ron :-Q X_X
Thank you for reading my posts!
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

And so iteration #2 has been underway...
Attachments
Rebuilding 1.JPG
Rebuilding 2.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Painstakingly slow progress.
Attachments
2.JPG
3.JPG
5.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Have started fillin'er back up...
Attachments
Filling the filter again.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Finished the pipe work for the most part. Still working on producing 25,000 gal of RO water to fill the filter and the two 4500's. The mechanical filter is in with 50' of 1" x 5' medium density pad. Shade cloth (for bio media) and its weights are in. The outside of the filter "dome" is ~ finished.

Filter is at ~4' of 6' max at the moment:
Attachments
filter 1.JPG
filter 2.JPG
filter 3.JPG
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 18 Jan 2015, 02:53, edited 3 times in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

6" PE drain pipe was hard to work with and perhaps not reliable long term. Needless to say it is not meant for such an application but I had tried. So I've switched to 4" PVC. IDK yet if it will pass through 15,000 gal an hour needed. Soon will know. 2 pipes, 2 tanks.
Attachments
pipes 1.JPG
pipes 2.JPG
Last edited by Viktor Jarikov on 18 Jan 2015, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Drain screens.

Gen 1 was made of a threaded 4" clean out cover. Found only slightly clog resistant and, as such, utterly insufficient.

Gen 2 is made of a 4" clean out tee plus two end caps plus a home-made nipple to convert tee's female end to male. The area of 100 1" holes is 6.2 times larger than that of a 4" pipe opening. Yet, remains to see how it fairs.
Attachments
screen 1.JPG
screen 2.JPG
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Redtailrob
My cats species list: 48 (i:20, k:11)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hertfordshire
Location 2: England
Interests: Rare Catfish, P Bass, Predatory Fish, Sport Mad, Boxing, Thai Boxing, Weight Lifting, Nutrition, Fishing, Oceanography, sharks, Natural world, Travel, Culture, Good coffee, Good wine, Foodie

Post by Redtailrob »

Amazed by this project !!
NCE12940

Post by NCE12940 »

Redtailrob wrote:Amazed by this project !!
And a fascinating project as well! :-BD

Return to “Tank Talk”