Repashy food?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
yayfish24
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: lancaster pa

Repashy food?

Post by yayfish24 »

Does anyone use this food? I'm thinking about giving it a try but I'm curious if anyone else uses it and if there fish enjoy it. I'm not 100% sure which food I'm going to try yet. It's going to be fed to my l007 and probably my bristle nose. I also have a few geophagus I'll feed it to.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Repashy food?

Post by Jools »

Yes. If you search the forum for it, there is a fair amount of discussion around it. It's quality stuff.
Jools
Mol_PMB
I've donated: $50.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 37 (i:32, k:1)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:9)
My BLogs: 8 (i:34, p:416)
Spotted: 14
Location 2: Manchester UK

Post by Mol_PMB »

I use it a lot, in a variety of ways. You can pour it on flat surfaces like pieces of slate, or use it to fill old frozen food blister packs to make your own pellets. You can also easily add other foods to the mix.
My preferred way is to dip twigs in it to make 'lollipops' for my Otos and Farlowellas.
Narwhal72
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 100 (i:0, k:3)
My BLogs: 29 (i:0, p:400)
Spotted: 32
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Milwaukee, WI
Interests: Whiptails, hoplo cats, corys, plecos

Post by Narwhal72 »

I feed it to a lot of my fish. Plecos and cory cats go for it like crazy.

My geo's (and I have a bunch) are not that wild about it. They will eat it, but I think they prefer smaller bites to feed on. If I break it into little pieces they will go for it but the feeding response is much stronger with small pellets or flakes. This isn't really much of a problem for me as I have catfish in just about every tank I also have geo's in. So the Repashy goes to the bottom and sits for the catfish and the geo's get pellets.

I feed Morning wood, Spawn N Grow, and Fruut Luups mainly. I also use Ted Judy's formula too.

Andy
pleconut
I've donated: $35.00!
My cats species list: 35 (i:23, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:3)
My BLogs: 3 (i:4, p:154)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Bournemouth
Location 2: UK

Post by pleconut »

Good for plecos if fussy feeding, for whatever reason, is an issue. I would think good also for pleco fry feeding.
Thanks Teresa
catfishchaos
My cats species list: 35 (i:25, k:4)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 1: Halifax
Location 2: Nova scotia, Canada
Interests: Spearfishing, freediving, flyfishing, flytying, bowfishing, long boarding, archery, photography, reptiles, arachnids, catfish, cacti and succulents, exploration/travel, conservation and always acquiring more

Post by catfishchaos »

My plecos devour the stuff, Its awesome!
I can stop keeping catfish whenever I want. I just don't think I'll ever want to do that...
Linus_Cello
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Washington DC

Post by Linus_Cello »

A great advantage is you can add medicine to it and the fish will eat it and the meds.
NCE12940
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 7 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:5)
Location 1: Midland
Location 2: Texas

Post by NCE12940 »

My wild-caught Medusas and Blue-fin Panaques love it, as do the BNs which, of course, will eat anything, any time, anywhere. I feed Morning Wood, Soilent Green, Super Green, and Spawn N Grow.
yayfish24
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: lancaster pa

Post by yayfish24 »

I think I may order some this week and give it a try. I just need to figure out which food to get. How much food does the 12 oz actually make? I'm not too worried about spending a little more for good food I just don't want to need 12 oz for a single week of food.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

It does go quite a long way, a 3oz tub lasts me about three weeks, but i do combine it. It can be stored in the fridge once made up, as mentioned it can be combined either with another repashy food, or other food. I'd make s small ammout and use straight away if mixed with live food, or a dry fish food, veggies ect. Also to mention if you choose a meat based one such as meat pie. unless specifically for plecos with carnivorous diets, (too much protien can cause digestive problems for some plecos) its better to mix a small ammount with foods such as soilent green -good for aufwuchs eaters, and morning wood - good for wood eaters. There is an omnivore based one available also.
Thanks Teresa
rob rensen
My images: 19
My cats species list: 18 (i:1, k:1)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 2: netherlands

Post by rob rensen »

I feed my panaques 'morning wood'.....for the other plecos I often make a mix from 'grub pie', meat pie and 'super green'. Even my acnodon normani's love it......

rob rensen

Post by rob rensen »

Important is to use boiling water to prepare repashy......when it's stil liquid you can put some on a branch or stone

pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Rob, for the Panaques/Panoquolus. Panoquolus in my case, Im asking, as you know a lot about them, in my case is it safe to add in a small amount of the meat pie to morning wood once or a week or so for conditioning to breed, I did this for a short time. I stopped, as they put on a bit of weight and size, and I didn't want to cross the line regarding bloat.
Thanks Teresa
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

rob rensen wrote:Important is to use boiling water to prepare repashy......when it's stil liquid you can put some on a branch or stone
The first time I used Repashy food, I boiled the water then turned off the heat before adding the Repashy mix (to be clear, I did not intentionally allow time for the water to cool at all; I added the mix immediately). Then I stirred it together and applied it to some rocks. I guess I didn't get the mix hot enough because it never gelled; it turned into a gritty paste. As a result, when I added one of the stones to an aquarium, the food quickly disintegrated and clouded the water.

So, yeah, make sure the water is really boiling well. In fact, now I add the mix before I remove the water from the heat, so the food boils a little bit during mixing, and it gels up really well.
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
rob rensen

Post by rob rensen »

pleconut wrote:Rob, for the Panaques/Panoquolus. Panoquolus in my case, Im asking, as you know a lot about them, in my case is it safe to add in a small amount of the meat pie to morning wood once or a week or so for conditioning to breed, I did this for a short time. I stopped, as they put on a bit of weight and size, and I didn't want to cross the line regarding bloat.
I would guess that a little bit won't do any harm...in nature they will eat a shrimp if they'll get the change.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

I have one male,i think he got greedy, and took the others share, from what i gather, he grew bigger but sideways also, he is completely ok now! I think it contributed to prespawning behaviour as he's been (d)advertising to 2 females that frequently hang around his cave for a few weeks. Thing is because he ate most of it, i dont think the females are quite ready.
Thanks Teresa
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

Here's a little recipe I wrote on a different forum - hope it's OK to link here:
http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/ind ... msg1929770

Also a couple of photos of my 'twiglets' (Farlowella vittata fry) of various sizes enjoying their lollipops:

Cheers,
Paul
Attachments
2-day_old_twiglet_lollipop.jpg
twiglet_lollipop_closeup.jpg
2_twiglets_lollipop_2.jpg
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Maybe i need to make a slightly different recipe for my L397 who has a bit of a taste for meat pie, he tends now to go for food i put near his cave, I just dont think it will work somehow, lol A good guide on repashy recipes for different fish would be a very helpful resource.
Thanks Teresa
Mol_PMB

Post by Mol_PMB »

I sometimes add cubes of frozen food like brine shrimp. It's best to thaw it out first though or the mix cools down too quickly.
pleconut

Post by pleconut »

Probably slightly better for them i think for conditioning, Its worth a trial. Just need to keep watch on the greedy pleco!
Thanks Teresa

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”