Need help Repairing a Pump Power Cord, Please

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Need help Repairing a Pump Power Cord, Please

Post by TwoTankAmin »

I have a problem for the second time now that I am not sure how to solve. I use pumps for filling tanks as well as emptying bigger ones for water changes. My use of pumps is not a continuous undisturbed process. Rather with great regularity they are attached and detached from hoses, moved into and out of tanks and water containers and stowed and taken out regularly.

I have just discovered a problem with the electrical power cord on a second pump. Apparently, all the moving of the pumps has caused two of them to have the outer black layer that seals the wires inside crack open near the pump. This makes it dangerous to use. The thing is that both pumps where this has happened are still working fine.

What I am looking for is a fish safe way I can reseal/repair the cords. It is not possible to open the pump and use a new cord as far as I know as I could not reseal it safely. Here is what I have considered and either am unsure if it will work and be safe or have eliminated:

Cut or the bad end of the wire and re-attach it to the pump, Not possible as far as i know.
Crazy Glue- wont work on this sort of rubber.
Most Other glues- likely not fish safe when in water, or not likely to last. Any glues I can use?
Tape- glue issues and then will it even last if the glue were fish safe. Any tapes I can use?
Silicone- won't hold for long.

Things I wonder about:
Tank safe epoxy?
UV activated glue?
Patching methods of which I am unaware?

The thing is the wire is the cheapest part of the dang pump. It will cost me about $80 each to replace the pumps because of a few dollar wire problem. Any viable ideas would be greatly appreciated.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
MarcW
I've donated: $150.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Re: Need help Repairing a Pump Power Cord, Please

Post by MarcW »

I would also be interested in any responses. I have the same problem with a small Eheim pump I use for refilling tanks after water changes. Everything appears to still work fine, but I don't want to risk electrocuting my fish!

TwoTank does yours look the same as my picture below?
IMG_20170404_205233.jpg
Lycosid
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:2)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: United States
Location 2: North Carolina

Post by Lycosid »

I've used JB Water Weld for small jobs in tanks without issues. I'm sure it's not totally fish safe but I first used it in an emergency when the other option was that every fish died and I never saw issues. I suspect the amount used for most jobs is too small to be a serious issue. However, since it appears to be a variant on the two-part epoxy I suspect it leaks something as it cures. I might cure it and then rinse it in a few water changes if I went this route.
AZCatfish
I've donated: $100.00!
Location 1: Phoenix, Arizona
Location 2: USA
Interests: Aquariums, Orchids, classic & antique cars.

Post by AZCatfish »

Aquarium silicone is very strong when fully cured. I'd get a fresh tube, attach the nozzle and fill that area up with silicone. In 72 hours it should be fully cured and fine to use.

If you don't have a nozzle you can get a small disposable oral syringe from your pharmacy. Pull out the plunger then fill the body up with silicone from the main tube. Now you can inject silicone into tight places. I use this technique all the time on projects.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oral-Syringe-Small/10811118
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Investigate the world of swimming pool lights... I've used this in the past (once) to fix a similar problem (I needed to extend a cable underwater). However it won't work really close to the pump housing, maybe you'd need to use silicone too in that instance.

Jools
MarcW
I've donated: $150.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

That looks like something worth bookmarking in case its needed in future. I spoke to the Eheim support people in the UK and they suggested not to use my pump in the condition pictured above, as water may migrate to the motor along the internal cables. Luckily its less than 3 years old so the shop I bought it from is arranging a warranty replacement.

TwoTank, it may be worth checking if your pumps are still in a warranty period.
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

Unfortunately, they are not in warranty. They are both Beckett pond pumps. I also have a couple of Mag Drive pumps I use in a similar off and on fashion and they are fine. I have a host of those Eheim compacts. Some are in tanks permanently. But a couple are used for smaller water quantities. Neither the Eheims nor the Mags have this issue. One Eheim I have used now for 14+ years. The second one actually lost its back exterior panel. It is still sealed up fine internally but it sure looks funny.

The problem here is the moving around of the pump. I always try to use the hose to lift it out of things, but the constant using or it and moving it a lot seems to be the problem.

The first Beckett that got the problem took about 10 years. The second one I bough while the same flow rate was much smaller. It's impeller broke inside 6 months and it was replaced. The cord took about 1/3 the time to flake out. I can say that the cord on Becketts is less heavy duty than that on Eheim or Mag. I guess they figure pond pumps get moved rarely and do not need a heavier duty power cord.

I can try the silicone solution, but I fear it will not last. It might work as an back-up to the UV glue which should not let go. What those pumps need is a strain relief device where the cord enters the pump, imo.

So, has anynody out there got experience using the UV activated glue? Do we know if it is fish safe? I do know that denstist have been using UV activated things in peoples mouths for many years. But I am doubt it is the same stuff sold for UV Glue?
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
AZCatfish

Post by AZCatfish »

TwoTank,

I would try the silicone first because we know cured silicone is safe for fish. If you fill up the cavity with a nice BLOB of silicone once it cures it should bind up everything and also act a semi-flexible strain relief. Make sure to clean everything well so the silicone sticks to the surfaces. If the silicone doesn't work it is reversible. You can dig, pick and pull it out. It will be a PIA but you can get it out and try something else.

Or, I would try a Marine grade 2 part epoxy like the one below. This will dry rock hard and to my knowledge is inert once cured.

From the JB Weld web site FAQ: "When fully cured, J-B Weld is non-toxic." Go there and check it out for yourself.

But be warned, you won't be able to remove the epoxy if it doesn't work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2CDVIW/re ... B000KKPFFA

Best of luck! -Mike
TwoTankAmin

Post by TwoTankAmin »

TY all- I think perhaps the best solution is likely a combination of the suggestions with one more if I can find it. That would be some form of strain relief device like one sees for garden hoses. If I can find this in an appropriate size here is what I would try.

1. Use silicone to do some sealing inside before going onto the next step.
2. Slide the strain relief over the cord (I would have to remove and then replace the plug end for this).
3. Seal the cord with the strain relief in place using epoxy that not only seals the cord but also seals to the back of the pump as well as holding the stain relief in place..

I think without step 2 there is a good chance normal usage would result in the edge of the epoxy to cut into cord over time. I am not sure if I still have it, but I used to have a 2 par ttank safe epoxy stick. usually these are used by salties to attach corals.

There is also a chance I will just bite the bullet and just buy a new pump. It wont ne a Beckett.
AZCatfish

Post by AZCatfish »

Return to “Speak Easy”