Best algae eating pleco

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jmf
Location 1: Australia
Location 2: Sydney

Best algae eating pleco

Post by jmf »

Hi People,

I need some help on getting a pleco for my Australian native tank. The tank is roughly 75G (5ftx1.3x1.5). Whilst I know Bristlenose's are one of the best, my Australian bass (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_bass) and freshwater stonefish called a bullrout (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullrout) attack my bristlenose, so the bristlenose's got moved to another tank.

My tank has huge algae issues, I understand that it's due to light and nutrients, but even a few days after scraping all the algae and water change it comes back, so much so you cannot see into the tank.

I would like to get a plceo that grows larger and can handle the bullying, but that also is a herbivore. My research has only really uncovered the royal pleco. Unfortunately, these guys cost around $1500 AUD ($1200 USD) in Australia.

Can anyone suggest other pleco's for me? I have bigger tanks that I can move it to, if it gets to big.

Fundulopanchax76
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Location 1: Bulgaria
Location 2: Sliven

Re: Best algae eating pleco

Post by Fundulopanchax76 »

I have heard that otocinclus genus are the best algae eater.
jmf

Post by jmf »

Fundulopanchax76 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 10:13 I have heard that otocinclus genus are the best algae eater.
Unfortunately, the fish would find them nice to eat 😕
Koi-fantast
My cats species list: 29 (i:1, k:0)
My BLogs: 15 (i:2, p:582)
Spotted: 12
Location 2: Sverige

Post by Koi-fantast »

I wonder if pleco or gibbiceps would suit your need.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:8, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Anything in the genus will fit the bill but they get big.

Jools
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Are Pterygoplichthys legally available in Aus? I would hope not. But if they are, then they would be the best choice.

Also, what about nerite snails? These do wonders on algae, but don't know if your other fish would see them as a snack.
mike100
Location 1: Pinner,Middlesex,London,U/K.
Location 2: London,England,UK

Post by mike100 »

I have always found the bronze coryadoras to be a very busy cleaner for the gravel but you will be best served to pay a visit to your local aquarium to find some cats that have the habit of sticking to the glass sides and buy a couple of those, That way you get the bottom and sides of the aquarium cleaned,May I also suggest that your aquarium be moved to a position where there is NO light coming in from outside, then you can control the algae using the correct light tubes in your aquarium for non algae growth,my aquariums are in my outdoor building with NO windows and I have very little algae.I may clean my glass once per month and very little algae grows in that time,Good luck Mike.
mike100
Location 1: Pinner,Middlesex,London,U/K.
Location 2: London,England,UK

Post by mike100 »

Sorry just noted your cats get bullied, So you will have problems finding what you need, suggest re-stock with more temperate fishes, all the best Mike, London.ps i used to live in Brisbane.
jmf

Post by jmf »

Thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately I'm not going to get rid of Barry the Bass. I have had him for around 7 years. I purchased a sailfin pleco

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”