Synodontis sp.

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Xeno
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: NRW

Synodontis sp.

Post by Xeno »

Hey!
Can anyone ID this beauty?

Possible species for now:
Synodontis nigrita
Synodontis frontosus
Synodontis schall
Synodontis budgetti

It is around 30cm long (more like 27cm I guess)
Thanks!
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Re: Synodontis sp.

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

Looks very similar to "Troy," a syno I adopted ~5 years ago. The family I adopted Troy from received the fish in apparently quite poor tank conditions when they bought the house, the previous owner left the tank and catfish behind. I provisionally IDed Troy as being a , as the fish's body and fins are without any dark spots/stripes. If the ID is correct, Troy is rather undersize for an adult at now ~18cm SL compared to ~40cm SL recorded in the PC database, but that could possibly be explained by the conditions the catfish was found in by the previous owner when they moved in.

Troy is quite unique in my 6-foot African tank, in that this fish will readily flip upside down to feed from the water surface. "He" used to get a bit feisty after water changes, chasing round my fully grown Synodontis notatus, while never bothering with the three Synodonits brichardi; Synodontis angelicus and Synodontis schoutedeni (or the four Euchilichthys spp.).

Not to be trusted with small fish, the previous owner advertised Troy because their adult Neon Tetras and Kribensis youngsters were disappearing overnight. Smallest fish in the tank is a ~7cm SL male Empire Gudgeon, the only non-African resident.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Anyone else?

It can't be clarias as the caudal isn't red and the barbels aren't (strongly) branched, can it?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
N0body Of The Goat
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38952&p=266382&hil ... ti#p266382

Thread/photo of Troy before purchase, as I'm still very guilty of not photographing or filming my fish very often!
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Nice! Thanks for sharing, mate. I love obscure and rare synos. Yours looks very close to Xeno's but Xeno's doesn't sport any dorsal extensions... which may or may not mean much.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Anyone else out there with an opinion?
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

S. budgetti for me, I've only ever seen one that big, 25cm SL would be normal?

Jools
N0body Of The Goat

Viktor Jarikov wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 23:56 Nice! Thanks for sharing, mate. I love obscure and rare synos. Yours looks very close to Xeno's but Xeno's doesn't sport any dorsal extensions... which may or may not mean much.
Troy doesn't often have any of those fin extensions these days, my guess is that the six ~16-18cm SL Distichodus affinis and my singleton ~30cm Distichodus cf. rostatus give Troy the odd nip, especially when Troy is cruising upside down at the water surface at food time!
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

The D. sexfasciatum I ever kept were all jerks but the crown of the meanest fish I have ever kept goes to D. lusosso.

Thank you, Jools!
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “What is my catfish?”