Chaetostoma joropo (tentative ID) from PetSMART.

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Chaetostoma joropo (tentative ID) from PetSMART.

Post by bekateen »

Hi All,

From another thread I reported finding these rubberlips at PetSMART. Tentatively (since they are still small, about 50-60mm SL), I'm calling them , for lack of a better match.

I'm not asking any questions at this time, but I'm starting this thread in case things go well with these. Here's a photo of one fish with and without a flash on the camera. They have a beautiful yellow-green iridescence.
Without flash (top); with flash (bottom)
Without flash (top); with flash (bottom)
I haven't had the best fortune with my in the past, the longest lasting about 3-4 months in my tanks. But the C. dorsale were always emaciated when I got them, but these have more full bellies. So hopefully they are stronger and do better in my tank.

Wish them health and me luck! :-) :-BD :-SS

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Chaetostoma joropo (tentative ID) from PetSMART.

Post by Shane »

Eric,
Experiment with various foods. Good luck!
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Thanks Shane. I have Repashy mixes, regular algae wafers, Spirulina flakes, and algae covered rocks removed from a different (cory) tank. I don't know how accurate this is, but the fish dept manager at the PetSMART said the fish were eating well in her tanks. (and as I mention, their stomachs aren't hollow)

Cheers, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Location 2: UK
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

My Chaetostoma (believed to be 1x joropo, 2x L445, 1x formosae) all respond to Tetra Prima granules; Vitalis Catfish Pellets (2mm variety); JBL Novo Rift pellets.

Good luck getting them through quarantine in good health and recognising food! :-BD
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Thanks! :-)
MarcW
I've donated: $150.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire

Post by MarcW »

Hi Eric, nice looking fish, I've not kept Chaetostoma before but hopefully if they were eating in the store, it shouldn't take them long to get used to your food at home.

One thing I have heard before, is that you should try sticking with the same food for a few days before assuming they won't eat it and change to another type of food. It would seem that it can take the fish a few days to identify what you are putting in as food.

Good luck! :-)
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Thanks, MarcW. Yes that's a good idea.

Cheers, Eric
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Post by Jobro »

Like always, I would put about 5 smaller bristlenoses in with them. When the bristlenoses start eating, the remaing plecos usually fall into a frenzy as well. Best luck Eric :-)
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

While we are on this subject, what's the current view on versus ? We have them separate on the site but the ranges overlap and they are visually similar - what's differences do you see to keep them apart?

Cheers,

Jools
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Jools wrote: 30 Oct 2018, 21:10While we are on this subject, what's the current view on versus ? We have them separate on the site but the ranges overlap and they are visually similar - what's differences do you see to keep them apart?
Those are good questions. From the original description, is defined as a fish with relatively uniform small spots covering the body, the distance between spots being smaller than the diameter of the spots.
Ballen et al., 2016 wrote:Only a few species of Chaetostoma present a color pattern consisting of spots on both the head and the body (C. anale, C. daidalmatos, C. lineopunctatum, C. milesi, C. strompoulos, C. trimaculineum and C. vagum, (Lujan et al. 2015a; Salcedo 2006b). Chaetostoma joropo differs from these species except C. daidalmatos by having spots on the body that are (vs. space between spots larger or equal to spot diameter in C. anale, C. lineopunctatum, C. milesi, C. strompoulos, and C. vagum). Chaetostoma joropo differs from C. daidalmatos by having spots that are smaller than the orbital diameter (vs. spots larger than orbital diameter, (Salcedo 2006b). Finally, Chaetostoma joropo differs from C. milesi as follows: by having the spots on the head more densely packed together, with the space between spots smaller than spot diameter (vs. spots less numerous and with space between spots larger than spot diameter in C. milesi); by having more spots on body that are better organized in longitudinal rows (vs. spots less numerous and scattered in C. milesi); by the presence of scattered, numerous spots on the dorsal fin (vs. less numerous and always positioned anterior to each branched fin ray in C. milesi); by having a uniform black coloration on the dorsal surface of the pectoral spine (vs. with longitudinal row of spots on dorsal surface of pectoral spine in C. milesi); and by presenting undulated vertical bars on the caudal fin that transform progressively into spots (vs. caudal fin uniformly dark regardless of size in C. milesi).
In essence, is defined by its body spot size and color pattern:
  • The spots are numerous and densely packed, close together.
    • The spots are small, "smaller than the orbital diameter."
    • The spots are relatively uniform in size from head to caudal peduncle.
    • The spots are more densely packed together on the head than on the body (but without altering spot size significantly to accommodate this more dense packing; this is evident on the photo series of juvenile, subadult and adult on the CLOG page).
    • Compared to other species, the spots on body are better organized in longitudinal rows.
  • On the dorsal fin, there are numerous spots randomly arranged, scattered.
  • On the pectoral fin, there is a uniform (not spotted) black coloration of the dorsal surface of the pectoral spine.
  • On the caudal fin, there are undulated vertical bars that transform progressively (with age) into spots.
In particular, the spotting pattern of C. joropo is very specific. fails to match a number of these points.

If I were to describe L445 I'd describe it this way (based on the original DATZ photo):
  • The spots are numerous but variable in size and spacing.
    • The spots are smaller on the head (smaller than orbital diameter) and get progressively larger towards the caudal peduncle (equal to or exceeding orbital diameter).
    • The spots are more densely packed on the head (space between spots less than spot diameter), and progressively spread apart on the body towards the caudal peduncle (space between spots equals or exceeds spot diameter).
  • Our photos of the dorsal fin are insufficient for generalization, but appear to show spots anterior to the fin rays. (this is well shown on the original DATZ photo of L445)
  • From our photos of pectoral fin, dorsal surface of the pectoral spine appears similar to C. joropo, or may present as a series of broken black areas.
  • From our photos of the caudal fin, the tail appears to be similar to C. joropo. although I don't know if the variation shown in our pics varies with age: undulating vertical bars that transform progressively (with age) into spots
Certain to compound the confusion, I asked the author Ballen to examine all the photos we have posted on the CLOG page for L445. He believes that the photos we have on that CLOG page represent at least 3-4 species, but did not elaborate further; I suspect he meant C. joropo, L445 and other undescribed forms. I believe he means this:
  • C. joropo (7?, 12? 13?, 16?, 18?, 19)
  • L445 (Figs 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 20?)
  • Possible other forms (Fig 3, 4, 9, 17)
As you can see from my question marks, I'm not even sure which fish belong where. Some fish look to be intermediate between C. joropo and L445. Conversely, some of the fish have essentially no spots on the head; but perhaps this is just due to stress or tank conditions.

There is a line in the Ballen et al. paper that would suggest that L445 is just a juvenile C. joropo:
Juveniles present an almost plain color pattern with few large blotches that become
progressively smaller until transformation into more numerous spots better organized in rows
Their text refers to the photo series presented in the paper. So perhaps color pattern is just an ontogenetic development from L445 to the small spotted adult C. joropo. However,
  1. The juvenile in the article's photo is not a very good match for many of the L445 photos on our CLOG page.
  2. Just because juvenile spot size might start larger and get smaller with age, neither their published photos nor their text indicate either that the spacing between spots should increase with age (it does vary slightly towards the tail in the article photo, but not much) or that the spot sizes vary from head to tail (spots sizes from head to tail are almost uniform, even on the juvenile); furthermore, their juvenile does not resemble the subadult L445 I've seen in LFS stores (by "subadult" I mean large enough to sex, usually 60+mm SL).
  3. If L445 was simply a juvenile C. joropo, I would have expected Ballen to recognize this and say so when he examined the photos on our L445 CLOG page. But instead, Ballen concluded that the L445 CLOG page shows at least 3 species.
Perhaps L445 and all the other odd fish shown are just regional variants of C. joropo; honestly, I can easily imagine that to be the case. But the original description of C. joropo (including the description of a number of other type and nontype specimens) did not leave room for that variation in its very narrow wording (unless we can go by the brief comment about development).

Cheers, Eric
N0body Of The Goat
My cats species list: 25 (i:2, k:5)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Southampton
Interests: Sim racing; cycling (ideally not into the back of stationary dustbin lorries located on blind sweeping bends in wet weather, with rim brakes like chocolate teapots)

Post by N0body Of The Goat »

I've just added a photo from ~12 months ago to the provisional C. joropo in "my cats," I presume others can see it there, I cannot find a simple way to insert that photo into this thread.

The two provision L445s in the same tank have much squarer shaped dark patches on their body, rather than spots, but the patches are spot-like on their heads. They also noticeably differ from the C. joropo by a lack of a significant patch of white around the catfish's "nose" (which doesn't look so obvious in my joropo photo because of the catfish laying on the light coloured sand while the lights are on). My joropo also has intermittent black lines on its pectoral and pelvic fins, something my "L445s" lack. I must get a photo of the C. joropo's underside, because it also has a rather unique miniature fin by the anal opening.

Sadly, I don't currently have a photo to hand of the L445s!

Edit: Thanks Jools for tip below regarding images! This is the Chaetostoma that MartinS gave me around 2012, believed to be .
Last edited by N0body Of The Goat on 03 Nov 2018, 14:44, edited 2 times in total.
Dreaming of a full-on 5x2x2 Zaire River rapids biotope...
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Click "full editor", then below the submit button click attachments and then upload. Will have a look.....

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I agree Eric, we go with the description for C. joropo and limit anything in that species to meeting the description. Then, anything else, from the region, goes into L445 until such a time as some of those get moved, identified or otherwise re-classified.

Jools
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

N0body Of The Goat wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 22:18Edit: Thanks Jools for tip below regarding images! This is the Chaetostoma that MartinS gave me around 2012, believed to be .
From this photo, yes, I think your fish looks more like joropo than L445.

Cheers, Eric

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”