Wave maker model and size.

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
pointpleco
I've donated: $4.00!
My cats species list: 52 (i:52, k:49)
My aquaria list: 31 (i:28)
My BLogs: 29 (i:160, p:1739)
My Wishlist: 131
Spotted: 109
Location 1: adelaide, australia
Location 2: adelaide , australia

Wave maker model and size.

Post by pointpleco »

Hello,

Does anybody know a good brand and size wave maker that would be good for a 36x 15x 18x" 130L tank. I have been told it will be beneficial for my leopard frog plecos. What is a good L/hr size.

Thanks
Jobro
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:3)
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Germany
Location 2: Allgäu

Re: Wave maker model and size.

Post by Jobro »

My L134 live in a tank with quite little watermovement. They do fine. But a wavemaker is usually a great idea with plecos!
I use Tunze Turbelle Nanostream pumps. A 6045 creates more than plenty of watermovement for a tank of your size. You can buy the smallest one 6015 and if you need more power you can modify them quite easily to get the power of the 6045 or even more. They all have the same motor and basically differ in the pump housing. Making a little mod to the housing will allow insane waterflow on even the smallest models. There are some DIY nanostream mods on google.
follow my Plecos on Instagram: welsgefluester
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

Ok Jobro, thanks for the reply

I do have 2x 400l/ph filters angled across the front of the caves so maybe that is enough flow. I asked on here because somebody on a facebook page mentioned getting one was a good idea. Since then someone else said don't worry about one. And now you say it's not so vital, maybe i hold off for now and see how they go without it.

But thanks again for your help and i will for sure keep that type of wave maker in mind.

Macrae
MarcW
I've donated: $152.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

I would also suggest you see how things go for a while, as Jobro mentioned more flow is usually good, but not always necessary.

In my experience, its not so important to get the whole tank like a rapid, although that would be cool :-), more to create some flow around the areas the fish hang out, e.g. across the entrances of caves, or between rocks, etc.

If you want to try it out I would suggest starting with something like a 1000 lph power head as they are cheap and use very little power.
pointpleco

Post by pointpleco »

MarcW wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 19:14 I would also suggest you see how things go for a while, as Jobro mentioned more flow is usually good, but not always necessary.

In my experience, its not so important to get the whole tank like a rapid, although that would be cool :-), more to create some flow around the areas the fish hang out, e.g. across the entrances of caves, or between rocks, etc.

If you want to try it out I would suggest starting with something like a 1000 lph power head as they are cheap and use very little power.
Hi Marc,

Yes i also think i might just see how it goes, i think my flow is ok at the moment. Save my money just for now.

The filters i have are angled across the cave entrances so i think they like that.

Ok thanks i will keep keep it in mind to look at a smaller one if i decide to get one.

Thanks Macrae

Return to “Tank Talk”