New error message when viewing the home page

A historical forum for issues reported in the suggestions and bugs forum that have been subsequently fixed or resolved.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

New error message when viewing the home page

Post by bekateen »

Hi Jools,

When I visit PCF, I'm seeing this error message at the top of the page.

Cheers, Eric
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/_articles.php on line 421: Undefined variable $old_part
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/_articles.php on line 453: Undefined variable $part_text
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/index.php on line 135: Undefined variable $meta
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/index.php on line 135: Undefined variable $breadcrumbs
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/arn_make_page.php on line 43: Undefined array key "species"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4191: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3032)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4191: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3032)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/arn_make_page.php on line 47: Undefined variable $phpbb_root_path
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: New error message when viewing the home page

Post by Jools »

These are "undefined variable" errors - they won't break anything but will be a few of them still lurking around.

This is due to a background upgrade to the operating system on our server. I've been holding off for a better time, but it seems now I can't delay this any longer.

I will fix as I find them or reported here.

Jools
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Makes sense. Agreed it doesn't impair my ability to engage the site so far.

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Ltygress
My cats species list: 11 (i:7, k:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:6, p:157)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: United States
Location 2: Georgia

Post by Ltygress »

They're all over the place. I see a TON of them when I visit the L-numbers catalog.
Shovelnose
My articles: 5
My images: 116
My catfish: 4
My cats species list: 60 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Mumbai
Location 2: India

Post by Shovelnose »

Faced this issue sporadically with the home page the past few days, it now occurs every time with genus and species pages.
Untitled.png
Capture.JPG
Balaji

Vicar: It's about this letter you sent me regarding my insurance claim.
Devious: Oh, yeah, well, you see, it's just that we're not, as yet, totally satisfied with the grounds of your claim.
Vicar: But it says something about filling my mouth in with cement.
Devious: Oh well, that's just insurance jargon, you know.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

There are indeed loads of warning error messages, most are quite easy to fix in a couple of minutes, but a few are several hours to sort out. Each line is one error but they can be "duplicates" i.e. if a page has a pH dropdown on it, and I fix that error, all pages with that pH dropdown will be fixed.

Up to now I have focussed on the front page, some key admin features, the forum and now the species profiles which looked to be clear.

Will do the genus and then l-number pages next.

Cheers,

Jools

PS On the plus side, these errors point out where I have written code that usually works or might not now work as intended. In fixing them up I have found some old stuff no longer needed, one security vulnerability and one bit that just plain didn't work. Now the size data in the catelog is served up in mm or inches depending on your user profile data, if not set it asked you to do this and if not logged in (or a bot) it serves up both mm and inches. That's not worked in years, maybe ever.

Once the changes are made, dropdown lists (over 20 year old code!!!) in particular may be susceptible to new bugs.
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Jools wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 10:48Up to now I have focussed on the front page, some key admin features, the forum and now the species profiles which looked to be clear.

Cheers,

Jools
Thanks for all the work.

To make sure I understand, are you saying the front page and species (CLOG) pages are finished?

I see this error on the front page:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/latest_donations.php on line 14: Undefined variable $no
I'm still getting this error when I visit a clog page:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/_articles.php on line 491: Undefined variable $text
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/species_datasheet.php on line 205: Undefined array key ""
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/species_datasheet.php on line 205: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Cheers, Eric
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

These ones will be becuase the data on the page is different from what I checked. Which species was it?

Cheers,

Jools
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

bekateen wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 18:17Thanks for all the work.

I'm still getting this error when I visit a clog page:
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/_articles.php on line 491: Undefined variable $text
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/species_datasheet.php on line 205: Undefined array key ""
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /home/webcat/planetcatfish.com/common/functions/species_datasheet.php on line 205: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Cheers, Eric
Jools wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 19:30 These ones will be becuase the data on the page is different from what I checked. Which species was it?

Cheers,

Jools

Cheers, Eric
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

That should be the background warning messages fixed in the family, sub-family and genus pages.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

The "all genera" page has been fixed, and updated.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

The "IBAMA positive list" page has been fixed.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

The "Catfish IUCN Red List" page has been fixed.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

The list of species kept, bred, wished for and seen page has been fixed. Bonus new feature, the My Cats list shows the longest kept.

Cheers,

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Updated the List of species with no pictures page.

Jools
bekateen

Post by bekateen »

Jools wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 22:14 Updated the List of species with no pictures page.

Jools
I had no idea this page existed. :-J
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Now you do! A few candidates in there for re-assignment! :-)

Today I have made all the "My Aquaria" stuff work without error/warning messages.

Cheers,

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

On the species profile pages, there is a new link to the My Cats food data in the feeding data section. This has been in development for a while, and I never quite finished it and it was riddled with warning errors. While it is rudimentary, it works, now error-free, and I've added it in.

Registered keepers, spots and wishes pages next.

Cheers,

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

All book reviews, Shane's world and CotM pages should now work with errors. I've also checked most of the "recent updates of" pages too. I think this (big, hairy) monkey will be off my back in the next week or so.

Cheers,

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Over the past week, I've reviewed every other Planet page and removed these warning messages/bugs. I may have missed some but I think, generally, this issue is fixed. It has highlighted several areas of improvement and I found a bunch of old bugs or things that have just plain never worked and now do.

Anyway, closing this one off, if you spot anything else, not already reported, please post a new topic!

Thanks to everyone for your patience while I sorted this out; it was epic!

Cheers,

Jools

Return to “All Resolved Issues”