Pleco from Central America

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Luigi
Location 1: Liège, Belgium
Location 2: Belgium

Pleco from Central America

Post by Luigi »

Hello guys,
I’m working on a new 400L (Oase Highline 400), and I plan on stocking with a group of 6 T. Meeki and maybe a pair of Nicaraguensis and big tetras.
My main question is: is there a list of pleco or equivalent that are from Central America? Would love to have your suggestions so I can find what I like the most!
Thanks,
Luigi
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Pleco from Central America

Post by bekateen »

Hi Luigi,

The only native loricariid as far north as Costa Rica or El Salvador is . There are no native loricariids further north. There is at least one Rhamdia species as far north as Mexico, .

That said, I don't think of either of your cichlid species as great "community tank" fish and I'm concerned that they would be too aggressive, at least for Rineloricaria, in a confined space like an aquarium.

Cheers,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Hi Luigi,

The family page has a map which you can explore. There's nothing really from this region you will find in a fish store. Maybe consider spp. from Northern or Southern South America that like it a bit cooler? Even the good old common Ancistrus would be a good choice with the other fishes here.

Jools
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

As Jools indicated, there are no Lorricarids from your area, only a few species from Panama excist - and these are not available. You would have to go to Panama yourself to get them. Costa Rica has an export ban on all wild cought animals, so that would not help.

The common Ancisturs would be your best option. Pterogoblichthys is also poosible, but these grow far too big for a 400 L tank - I'd suggest a 1000 L tank orbigger for them. I have combined these species with Central American cichlids, and they do splendid.

On another note, T meeki and H nicaraguensae both are bottom oriented species. You might rather combine either one of them with Cryptroheros, Herotilapia or othe smaller species instead.
cats have whiskers

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”