Fossil loricariid in Africa

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Fossil loricariid in Africa

Post by Silurus »

Brito, PM, DB Dutheil, P Gueriau, P Keith, G Carnevale, M Britto, FJ Meunier, B Khalloufi, A King, PF de Amorim & WJEM Costa, 2024. A Saharan fossil and the dawn of Neotropical armoured catfishes in Gondwana. Gondwana Research doi: 10.1016/j.gr.2024.04.008.

𝗔𝗯𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗰𝘁
Siluriformes are considered as primarily freshwater and have frequently been a model for the study of historical biogeography. Among catfishes, the most diverse clade is the Loricarioidei, a Neotropical group for which the fossil record extends back to the Palaeocene of Argentina.
Here we describe a fossil from the early Late Cretaceous of Morocco, exhibiting typical morphological traits of the Loricariidae. A phylogenetic analysis integrating morphological characters with a multigene database for the main loricarioid lineages and outgroups highly supports inclusion of the fossil within the Loricariidae. A time-calibrated analysis corroborates the origin of loricarioids at about 112 MYA.
The presence of this loricariid in Africa provides evidence that loricarioids have diversified before the separation of Africa and South America. The Moroccan loricariid shows an ancient evolutionary history that, in Africa, ended in the Late Cretaceous but persisted in South America, later surviving the K/Pg extinction.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Fossil loricariid in Africa

Post by Jools »

This is interesting and I note the name Afrocascudo saharaensis for the fossil.

Thanks for posting,

Jools
Attachments
1-s2.0-S1342937X24000947-ga1_lrg[1].jpg
Kirin
My cats species list: 14 (i:2, k:0)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: United Kingdom
Location 2: Bristol
Interests: Just fishes, my career and hobby.

Re: Fossil loricariid in Africa

Post by Kirin »

I'm surprised this paper hasn't got more publicity. It's fascinating and kind of changes what we knew about the group.
Rebecca
Crazy catfish lady

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”