What cories would go with this fish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
megladonsharky
Location 1: north idaho , usa

What cories would go with this fish

Post by megladonsharky »

:shock: I purchased some butterfly cichlids at lfs, anomalochromis thomasi... it will be a ten gallon tank with several plants and a heater at 79 I think... 200gph flow on the filter..
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

This thread has some discussion about suitable companions for Rams, which isn't the same as butterfly cichlids, but close enough when it comes to temperature, which would be the first consideration with choosing any "companion fish". Next comes water conditions, but I would expect the butterfly's to be about the same conditions as most cories, both preferring soft/acidic water to hard/alkalic.

So would be a good match for temperature.

There are others. If you click on the Cat-eLog link above, and then click on the "Corydoras" in the top bar, you get a "Genus page" for all Corydoras. Have a look. Keep in mind of course, that most fish-shops do not carry all types of cories, so make sure you have a few different to choose from, when you go talk to your LFS. If they haven't got what you want, maybe they can get it brought in...

--
mats
mummymonkey
I've donated: $47.26!
My articles: 2
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:6, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:8, p:104)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Blairgowrie (UK)
Location 2: Blairgowrie (UK)
Interests: Fish, Ornithology

Post by mummymonkey »

In a 10 gallon tank I'd be looking for one of the pygmy species. C. habrosus would be my choice.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”