Sunshine Pleco (L014) Captive Breeding

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
GlockFu
Location 1: California

Sunshine Pleco (L014) Captive Breeding

Post by GlockFu »

Is it possible to breed these plecos in captivity? Has anyone ever done this? What size tank would be needed for this if it is possible?
laurab5
Location 1: kANSAS

Post by laurab5 »

I don't think it's ever been done. If I were you, I would get that L287 trio and put them in a 20 long. You will get more money off of these babies than L014, and I don't think you can breed L014, especially since it is your first attempt at breeding.
fishboy20
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 5 (i:0, p:68)
Location 2: Columbus
Interests: Cichlids, Catfish, Characins, Killifish

Post by fishboy20 »

While they haven't been spawned in captivity yet, I believe in time it will be possible. I believe that they are worth spawning though. Most juveniles sell for $20-50 each depending on their size and just think about how many eggs a 8"+ female could produce?

I also believe that breeding the small species is easier space wise. I am going to try my hand at breeding L-14's now that I have bred zebra plecos (those were the first catfish I spawned, they aren't hard to spawn but do not produce a lot of fry). I plan on raising several individuals in various tanks (150, 75's, 100 and 125) and then trying to pair from there. I already have a few individuals that are 6"+ but will probably buy 4-6 more to make sure both sexes are present and compatable. Good luck working with which ever species you choose. I wouldn't mind having those L-287's either!

~Jeremy Basch
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

Like fishboy say's i think it will be done so why not you to do it first. you might get lucky. good luck

Kev
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

L14 grows to about 12-15", and pretty quickly too. You'll need a big tank to get them to breed, that's for sure.

Not by any means impossible, but not particularly easy either. The biggest problem is finding enough RO water to stimulate rainy season in a 2-400g tank... :-(

--
Mats
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

I know of at least one aquarist in Northern Iowa that had them to the stage of the male trapping the female in the cave. The female's vent was even protruding, but to the best of our knowledge, she didn't lay eggs.

This happened well over ten years ago.

Unfortunately, nothing happened beyond that and a year or so later, the person housing these fish got out of the aquarium hobby altogether.

The tank was a standard 180 gallon. The 15" pair of fish had the tank to themselves. The tank was halfway filled with gravel with several caves buried deep in the substrate.

In hindsight, I think the main problem may have been the cave design. The cave was a piece of 4" PVC angled down into a 12 gallon rubbermaid tub that was buried upside-down. The male fish excavated all the gravel from the PVC pipe and tub (some 60+ pounds of gravel total). Perhaps if the cave was the "now familiar" blind cave that was closer fitting to the size of the male fish the results may have been different!

One tip to be learned from all this... DO let your fish excavate their own caves (and other Loricariids as well). These fish are clearly diggers, this may well prove an important part of their behavior.

BTW: My next attempt at Leprocanthicus spp. will include several partially buried caves.
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
pleco_farmer
I've donated: $50.00!
Location 1: Wash, DC, USA

Post by pleco_farmer »

Hear, hear...I've watched L-034's excavate for a nest between two pieces of slate, substrate was coarse sand. Would love to figure that one out reliably. This is also the next trial in the ongoing L-177 work, moving them into sand and letting them figure out the nesting site.

BTW, Paul, your L-264's from the convention are once again in the cave. Sixth time this year, like clockwork after big monthly water change, temp drop to 76F from 84F, insignificant change in conductivity. Three days after the change, off they go. Don't know who has conditioned who, but both the fish and the aquarist are regular. Now if the male could manage to fertilize more than two or three eggs per go...

Any estimates on time for a goldie to reach 12-15"? I've been picking up little ones from time to time this year, looking for another long term project.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

I have no idea how long it'll take them to grow out. I'd suspect 3-4 years. I do know L-14s will grow to ~10" fairly quickly, then slow from there.

The fish I mentioned above were purchased as adults for an amazingly high price! (we're talking like 1994-95 here)
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 275
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

I heard about some accounts but they seemed to be suspicious... also it seems that Glaser have some bred specimen on their stocklist...
it also appears that on the issue of February of DATZ there is a short summary of one account...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”