USA Catfish Convention!

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Andrew
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:21)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Ellicott City, Maryland

USA Catfish Convention!

Post by Andrew »

The Potomac Valley Aquarium Society is pleased to announce its All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2006! We will be in the same location as the '04 convention in Laurel, Maryland. The dates are October 20-22, 2006.

Just like last time, there will be a terrific group of speakers on catfish topics, as well as an all-day auction, vendor displays, field trips and a host of other activities. If you came to the '04 convention you already know that you need to come back and see us again. If you missed the last one, don't let this chance pass by!

Speakers will be:
Dr. Jonathan Armbruster, Loricariids
Chuck Davis, Banquet Address
Lee Finley, Auchenipterids
Ian Fuller, Corydoradines
Shane Linder, Bagrids
Dr. Mark Sabaj, Doradids
Mark Soberman (corybreed), African Catfishes
Dr. Peter Unmack, Australian Catfishes

The Convention web site is http://www.catfish2006.com. There are special incentives for early registration so reserve your spot now! Also, we have reserved as many rooms as possible in the hotel, but we suspect that it may fill up so please make your hotel reservations if you intend to come to the event.

See you in October,

Andrew Blumhagen, Chair
All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2006
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Thanks Andrew!!!
George
Location 1: Reston, Virginia
Interests: fish

Post by George »

I would go but it looks like Dave Rinaldo will be there again and you know what that means.

George

I do hate Miller Lite.
pturley
I've donated: $66.00!
My articles: 2
My images: 16
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Cleveland, Ohio USA

Post by pturley »

It's OK, I am sure Dave will let you buy...

...this time!
Sincerely,
Paul E. Turley
Picklefish
I've donated: $50.00!
Location 1: SC, USA
Interests: Africans and Cories

Post by Picklefish »

I hope to be there again.
PlecoCrazy
I've donated: $25.00!
My cats species list: 42 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 3 (i:1, p:92)
Location 1: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Interests: Fish, Fishing, Computers, Golf, Video Games

Post by PlecoCrazy »

Ever since I got back from the last one I have been waiting for another. Glad to see I only have to wait 8 more months. :D
Dave Rinaldo

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

pturley wrote:It's OK, I am sure Dave will let you buy...

...this time!
Thanks Paul!

(trying not to be obvious 'bump')
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Well, I'm not sure I will be able to attend this one, but I am sure it will be great.

Jools
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

I won't be there. Have fun.
pleco_farmer
Location 1: Wash, DC, USA

Post by pleco_farmer »

Last year was great, judging from the plans that I have seen, this time around looks even bigger and better. Andrew, thanks in advance!

(Is this an obvious bump?)
kribensis
Location 1: Maryland - USA
Interests: Corydoras

Post by kribensis »

I cannot wait to attend the second convention. We throughly enjoyed the first convention. I purchased a signed copy of "Breeding Corydoradinae Catfish" by by Ian A. M. Fuller. The chance to meet fellow catfish experts from all around the world alone is worth the convention alone. But then you have the various speakers on many subjects. I enjoyed speaking with Ian A. M. Fuller in person to pickup pointers on breeding corys. I hope to be able to purchase a signed copy of "Identifying Corydoradinae Catfish" by By Ian A. M. Fuller & Hans-Georg Evers this year. I would advise purchasing one early if he brings them, as they will sellout early.

I found out that the hotel has had a major upgrades done this year. They have updated all 6 floors in the hotel. I hope to see many of you at this wonderful event. Please do not get confused with the new name of Holiday Inn LAUREL WEST - I-95/RT 198W, It is the same hotel.

I was able to enjoy myself last time because the hotel staff went above and beyond to assist me with my special needs. I have been in a wheelchair for a while now and normally events like this are hard to attend.

The members of the PVAS treated me just like family during my stay. I met many new friends that I have had the pleasure of staying in touch with since the first convention. Andrew Blumhagen, Emily Novotny and Jamey E. Novotny from the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society made a extra special effort to assist me with many special needs during my stay. This is why we will be attending the event this October 2006. I have never seen a group take care of an event so well.

I hope that everyone will attend this event this October 2006. Please I would advise you to get your reservations early as possible. The reason that I say this is it might end up being impossible to get Convention tickets or reservations at this hotel if you wait to late. Please attend this year to see if we can make it a soldout event.
Potomac Valley Aquarium Society
All Aquarium Catifish Convention 2006
http://www.catfish2006.com/

Member of Delaware County Aquarium Society
Springfield, Pennsylvania
http://www.dcas.us
Catfish 2006 RegCat
Location 1: Reston, Va.
Interests: registering attendees to Catfish Convention 2006

Registration Chair Shout Out

Post by Catfish 2006 RegCat »

Hi Andrew,

Great post. I'm excited about the upcoming 2006 Catfish Convention. It was such an outstanding success in 2004, and I'm really pleased to be helping out with the convention this year as the registration chairman (or RegCat in conventionspeak).

To all catfish aficionados, please register early and make your hotel reservations as soon as possible! If you have any registration-related questions, please be sure to contact me by email.

You Can Register Online: http://pvas.com/catfish/register/paypal_reg1.htm

Chuck, Register Cat
All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2006
regcat@pvas.com
Registrar for the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2006
Please visit http://www.catfish2006.com/ today!
Join us Oct. 20-22 in Maryland!
Chuck & Veronica - Reston Fin Fans
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I'll be making a serious effort to attend! :D
Amanda
Waldo
My images: 1
Location 1: Spokane, WA. 99206
Interests: I like fish and fish related excessories

Post by Waldo »

someone want to go in on a room?
I support Water Mart!!! You should too!
Catfish 2006 RegCat

Congratulations to two PlanetCatfish members who on March 31st won first and second prize in the Early Registration random-drawing contest for the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2006!

First Prize
David Rinaldo, Planet Catfish member - Free Registration!

Second Prize
Hirofumi Nonagaki, Planet Catfish member - Free Convention T-shirt!

There will be a surprise gift for the first person (from outside of PVAS) to register for the Convention via the web site. The winner will be announced at the Catfish Convention Awards and presented with the gift.

Chuck
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Nice one Dave and Hiro!

Jools
Waldo
My images: 1
Location 1: Spokane, WA. 99206
Interests: I like fish and fish related excessories

Post by Waldo »

Cudo's for you.
I support Water Mart!!! You should too!
corybreed
Expert
I've donated: $54.00!
My catfish: 8
My cats species list: 74 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Long Island, New York, USA
Location 2: Long Island

Post by corybreed »

Congrats Dave and Hiro. Look forward to seeing you both at the convention.

Mark
Dave Rinaldo

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Jools wrote:Nice one Dave and Hiro!

Jools
Now I'm trying to get sponsers for the Hotel/airline 8)
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Hey, just thought some of the newer forum folks would appreciate seeing pictures from the last catconv two years ago. From left to right, Shane, Andrew (PVAS chairman) and yours truly.

http://www.dignall.com/gallery/catconv04

Halogen days!

Jools
Catfish 2006 RegCat

That's a great picture, Jools! Andrew has just started an AWESOME LFS in Maryland. Probably the best in a state that already has several excellent LFS's.

Chuck
Catfish 2006 RegCat

Registration Q&A's from Catfish Aficionados

Here are a couple of questions I've gotten recently from Catfish folks:

QUESTION #1:

My husband and I are coming to the Catfish Convention, or I should say, I will be accompanying my husband the fish enthusiast! In registering for the convention, do we have to do one for him and one for me and pay twice? Just want to be sure.

ANSWER:

Thank you for your message, and thanks especially to you and your husband (the fish enthusiast!) for planning on joining us in October at the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2006! We really do appreciate your interest and support.

In answer to your question, the fish-show viewing and auction are the only activities at the Catfish Convention where a convention badge is not necessary. All other activities, including speakers' presentations, vendor room and food services, require registration. If it's only your husband who plans to attend these activities, then only he needs to register.

However, if you plan on joining him for:

The Banquet (which features the Fish Show Awards, and a special presentation by Chuck Davis), or the Friday Night Buffet (which includes Salad Bar, Lasagna, Assorted cakes, Beverage), the Saturday Lunch Buffet (Deli express: Roast beef, ham, tuna salad, cheeses, assorted breads, relish tray, cookies, beverage), or the fabulous Sunday Lunch Pizza Fest, then I recommend that you register using the a la carte option (see http://pvas.com/catfish/register/paypal_reg1.htm).

Please feel free to contact me again if you have any further questions. I, along with the rest of the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention 2006 staff, want to ensure that the Catfish Convention 2006 is both an outstanding and fruitful experience for all.

QUESTION #2:

With catfish being my favorite fish to keep (along with U.S. natives) and a native collecting trip being planned I would love to go, the problem is that it's friggin expensive as hell!! All well, maybe next time. :)

ANSWER:

Good news! It's not as expensive as you think. The Early-Registration Convention Package is $100 (which includes the convention fee, the Friday Night Buffet, Saturday Lunch Buffet, Saturday Banquet, and Sunday Lunch Pizza Fest), but you can also register a la carte.

Under the a la carte â??menuâ?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Will there be a silent auction for charity like the last one? Although I will not be attending this convention, it should not be too much trouble for me to find something to donate to the auction (as I did the last one). Plus, I am already starting to pack up my stuff for departing the US, so anything that helps to lighten my load/decrease the amount of stuff I need to ship home helps.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

At this point we're not planning on having a silent auction. However, a few special items could be entered into the Sunday auction with the proceeds going to a specific entity, providing that that entity has something to do with catfishes or the aquarium hobby and is not a for-profit enterprise.

Please contact off list to make these kinds of arrangements.

Good luck on your future adventures HH! Are you going back to Singapore?
kribensis
Location 1: Maryland - USA
Interests: Corydoras

Post by kribensis »

I hope that Andrew will make the field trips of LFS to include his new store â??Scalesâ?
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the kind words! Please understand that as chair of this event and aquarium shop owner I have to be careful about a conflict of interest between the convention and the store. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit though.

We hope to be able to offer field trips including a tour of several of the finer aquarium stores (and we're blessed with a good number of high-quality facilities) in the Washington Baltimore area. Selection of which stores to visit will be up to someone other than me for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately gas prices are making bus trips extremely expensive so we'll have to be creative on this one. Information on field trips will be posted on the convention web site as soon as we can secure reasonably-priced transportation.
Emily
Location 1: Maryland
Interests: Cories, plecos & tropical fish

Welcome to the attendees of the USA Catfish Convention!

Post by Emily »

[
Jamey & I and the rest of the 2006 Catfish Convention Planning Committee are looking forward to welcoming all who can attend this year's All Aquarium Catfish Convention 2006.

Both of us have joined Planet Catfish and now have seven varieties of pl*cos and three herds of corys in our Amazon biotopes. The 2004 and this convention really encouraged us to initiate these new tank setups. Thanks for all of your advice. Pleco Farmer is an excellent resource person.

As the site coordinator, please contact me if we can assist you in any way with confirming that your reservations are within the catfish convention block of rooms. If you have special needs for your room reservations, please let me know. As Kribensis already posted I am very aware and understanding of assisting attendees with accessibility needs.

If you have special dietary needs, contact me.color=darkblue][/color]

The Holiday Inn Laurel West is filling up with Catfish Lovers - in October, 2006!

Emily & Jamey
sitecat@pvas.com
http://www.catfish2006.com
Catfish 2006 RegCat

Catfish Convention - Registration Q&A #4

Question on 6/29:

I was wondering if someone could advise me as to the cost of the Catfish Convention Field Trips so that I can include it in the money order with the money for our convention tickets. We have already reserved our room at the hotel and are anxious to send in our money before the end of July.

ANSWER:

Excellent question! With the end of July, so ends the special, early-registration discount for the All-Aquarium Catfish Convention! Now is the time to register!

There will be two Field Trips:

Field Trip One: Collecting Native Fishes

This field trip is an opportunity to collect and observe some of the fishes local to the Central Maryland/Washington, DC metro area. The collection sites are located within ten miles of the convention hotel. Previous collections at these locations have produced tadpole madtoms, rosyside dace, blacknose dace, fantail darters, and tessellated darters. Also observed in these spots are various sucker, sculpin, sunfish and trout species. At least two technical advisors including a representative of the North American Native Fishes Association (NANFA) will be on hand to assist in identification of any specimens collected. This collection trip is under the auspices of a scientific collecting permit obtained for the purpose of observing local aquatic fauna. The leaders of this trip will have final say on permanent removal of any specimens collected. Collection methods include dip nets and seines. Angling is not permitted at these locations.

Trip Cost: $20.00. This fee covers the cost of collection permit, collection equipment and reimburses volunteer drivers to the collection sites. Depart, 9:00am from the convention hotel, October 20, 2006.

Bring cash for lunch at local restaurants. Availability of the field trip will be limited to a manageable group of collectors.

Field Trip Two: Catfishes at the Smithsonian

A motor coach will bring a group of conventioneers to the heart of Washington, DC. The first stop is at the Smithsonian Institutionâ??s National Museum of Natural History. Dr. Stanley Weitzman, Curator of Fishes, and Marilyn Weitzman, Research Associate, will accompany the group on a private tour of the Division of Fishes, a research facility inside the museum. The collections, library and research offices are available to the group as well as the opportunity to discuss the science of ichthyology with these renowned scientists. Information about the Division of Fishes can be found at: http://www.nmnh.si.edu/vert/fishes/

The second stop is the Amazonia exhibit at the Smithsonian Institutionâ??s National Zoological Park. Staff biologists and keepers will be on hand to discuss the exhibits, the animals on display and the challenges of keeping large-scale aquatic displays. Information about Amazonia can be found at: http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Amazonia/

Trip Cost: $35.00. This fee covers the cost of the bus rental.
Depart, 9:00am from the convention hotel, October 20, 2006.
Bring cash for lunch at museum cafeterias. Availability is limited.

Chuck, Registration Chair
Catfish Convention 2006

Return to “Speak Easy”