Cat-e-log Data Sheet for Corydoras davidsandsi

A historical forum for issues reported in the suggestions and bugs forum that have been subsequently fixed or resolved.
Deb
I've donated: $75.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 8
My cats species list: 38 (i:21, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 11
Location 2: Virginia USA

Cat-e-log Data Sheet for Corydoras davidsandsi

Post by Deb »

Here are a few things that might need to be changed on the Cat-e-log Data Sheet for C. davidsandsi.

Under Other Water Parameters:

"A whitewater species that appreciates "

This is only a partial sentence, so you must add what it is they appreciate!

Under Suggested Tankmates:

"Smaller South American characins, Apistogramma other Corydoras."

Perhaps this would be clearer:

"Smaller South American characins, Apistogramma, and other Corydoras."

Under Breeding:

I made several necessary, small corrections to the paragraph and came up with this,

"Like other Corydoras ; water changes can induce spawning (T-clinch). Adding a small powerfilter/powerhead to the tank can help trigger spawning. Eggs are laid on the tank sides, on driftwood, and in plants. Eggs are prone to fungusing. Suggest keeping the eggs in a floating net in the tank containing the parent fish. Alternatively, Methylene Blue can be used. Fry are fed with microworms after the yolk sac has been used up (3-4 days)."

A note about the word "fungusing" as used in the above paragraph. I am not sure this is a word. I know it has slipped into common usage, but if it is not a word do you still want to use it? Would you rather rephrase the entire sentence to something like this:

"To avoid fungus, keep the eggs in a floating net in the tank containing the parent fish."

and take out this:

"Eggs are prone to fungusing. Suggest keeping the eggs in a floating net in the tank containing the parent fish."

?

Under Notes on ID:

"In C. davidsandsi the line splits above the caudal peduncle (best viewed from above) and in other species it does not split."

Does this mean in the one other species mentioned, i.e., C. melini? If so, the line should be changed to:

" ... and in C. melini it does not split."

:D
Deborah
housewren
Location 1: Berrien Springs, MI
Interests: Cory Cats and Guppy Genetics

Post by housewren »

I would question the Notes on I.D. if it is saying the the line doesn't split on C. melini. This may be a way to distinguish davidsandis from C. metae and some others, but on C. melini the line splits.

I am no expert, so I do not know if this holds true all the time, but the difference may be that: in C. melini it splits below the posterior edge of the dorsal fin, whereas in C. davidsandsi it splits farther back in the caudal peduncle. Also, there is a difference, I think, in head shape.

I wanted to check Ian's site because I think he has an article that may address these species, but it seems to be down right now. Someone more knowledgeable than I will hopefully clarify this.

In addition, re: Deborah's rewrite for Breeding. If you want to avoid the "word" fungusing, I would just change it to read:

"Eggs are prone to fungus. Keep the eggs in a floating net . . ."

This keeps the emphasis on the fact that the eggs in this particular species have more problems with fungus than is usual for many of the Cory species.

Cheri
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Agreed, changes made!

Jools

Return to “All Resolved Issues”