Anybody else hate football?

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
The Stig
Location 1: Doncaster, UK.
Interests: Fish, biking.

Anybody else hate football?

Post by The Stig »

Hi, i would just like to say that football is rubbish. What is the fun in watching a bunch of dollyboys kicking a football and falling over? I'm gutted that there's no Top Gear for 5 weeks though.

I'd rather watch a repeat of crufs instead. :D

Carl
125l
3 Discus.
1 Featherfin catfish.

450L
1 Giraffe catfish.
2 Shovelnose catfish.
1 Marbled Cambodian Whipray.
2 Freshwater Barracudas.
1 Gibbiceps Plec.
akvahenrik
Location 1: denmark
Interests: catfish! motorcycling

re.

Post by akvahenrik »

IT is boring. but i do like roadracing.(its more dangerous) :twisted:
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Yes, I prefer motorcycle racing too...

Didn't Harms do well in the British round of the 600cc? Started something like 16th place and got up to fourth, beating Johan Stigefeldt by about four places...

--
Mats
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

I like motor racing too. F1's alrite, but i like watching NASCAR and rallying and DTM. They are all exciting and theres loads happening.

Its nice to hear that some other people tootball is rubbish by the way. When i become PM i'm going to ban it, so you footballers, you've been warned, you havn't got much time left. LOL

Carl
125l
3 Discus.
1 Featherfin catfish.

450L
1 Giraffe catfish.
2 Shovelnose catfish.
2 Freshwater Barracudas.
1 Gibbiceps Plec.
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

I like football, but I do feel very sorry for those that don't, to have put up with all the cr*ppy adverts and slightly racist flag waving and such.

That Neil and Christine Hamilton Song :roll:

I doubt there's ever been a more shameless act of bandwagon jumping.
akvahenrik
Location 1: denmark
Interests: catfish! motorcycling

re. Mats

Post by akvahenrik »

mats i dont know i dont see supersport every time. but i like harms(he is danish :lol: ) i hope it goes better for valentino rossi in the motogp(he won saturday) i also hopes the best for mika kallio.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

What is the fun in watching a bunch of dollyboys kicking a football and falling over?
I am not a fan of either football nor soccer but someone once made the following observation to me (I think it was Whitepine)...
How is it that a football running back gets hit head on at a dead run and then smashed to the ground by a pair of 350 pound defensive players, shakes it off, and joins the huddle for the next play?
It seems that every time a soccer player trips while jogging across the field they roll on the ground for 15 minutes in "agony."
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
racoll

Post by racoll »

How is it that a football running back gets hit head on at a dead run and then smashed to the ground by a pair of 350 pound defensive players, shakes it off, and joins the huddle for the next play? It seems that every time a soccer player trips while jogging across the field they roll on the ground for 15 minutes in "agony."
What you saying? You Americans are harder than the rest of us? :roll: :D :wink:

Exactly the same thing happens in rugby, but they don't wear 8 inches of armour!
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Just an observation between the two types of athletes, not nationalities. Rugby players get all my respect.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I live less than 5 minutes from <a href='http://www.patriots.com/homepage/' target='_blank'>here</a>. On a clear night, you can hear the roar of the crowd from an open window(when it's not snowing). It's in the blood, baby!!! :D
Amanda
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Yeah rugby i like and they get the same punishment as your footballers. Soon they'll be bringing pedicure kits on for their broken nales. :D

If they were not all just such weaklings i wouldn't mind.

Carl
125l
3 Discus.
1 Featherfin catfish.

450L
1 Giraffe catfish.
2 Shovelnose catfish.
2 Freshwater Barracudas.
1 Gibbiceps Plec.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Aha, a can of worms!

OK, I'm an ex rugby player and, at 35, I still play football every week and I'm only going to accept "football is crap " arguments from people who have played it! I am talking about the world game of football that doesn't involve padding (I might however accept that a whole bunch of pro football players are indeed "dollyboys").

Better to occupy the worlds media with all the world cup TV coverage than some new dam war I'd say!

I will be watching all the games, I managed to only miss two last time.

Jools
PS My Sweden strip arrives Monday. :-)
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

A sportscaster here summed it up pretty good: sports is ersatz war where nobody gets killed(hopefully) and everybody goes home at the end(hopefully). We've pretty much given up on watching the news in my house. We read the newspaper because we can put it down or tear it up or yell at it. We watch almost anything on television we consider sports. We draw the line at "paintball","bass fishing" and any card games. Men tossing telephone poles, pre-recorded two years ago: I'm there! My favorites are still anything with the word "football" in it. :D
Amanda
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Amanda, i dont't know if you understand, but when we say football, to you thats soccor. There are much better and involving sports to watch on TV people.

Carl.
125l
3 Discus.
1 Featherfin catfish.

450L
1 Giraffe catfish.
2 Shovelnose catfish.
2 Freshwater Barracudas.
1 Gibbiceps Plec.
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

The Stig wrote:Amanda, i dont't know if you understand, but when we say football, to you thats soccor. There are much better and involving sports to watch on TV people.

Carl.
Oh, I know. :wink: Two teams play at that stadium: the New England Patriots and the New England Revolution. Add on the Boston Red Sox(baseball), Boston Celtics(basketball), Boston Bruins(hockey), all the minor league teams and all the college teams, we've got quite a lot to follow! You can imagine what the box scores in the newspaper are like. A lot of times, the minor league teams are the best. The play is the purest and the players are trying so hard for a spot in the "big show." The tickets are cheap, so you can take the family without going broke. Plus, the names are cool: Portland Sea Dogs, Lowell Spinners. If you get a chance, the movie "Bull Durham" explains a lot about minor league American baseball. It's quite funny, too.
Amanda
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

In Germany its impossible to see any other high class sport live at the stadiums. So football is the only thing as a result.

And people who say motorracing is much more exiting, havent seen a great football game. I dont even consider motor"sports" sport, an event where the quality of the machines make up 80% of success.
cheers
Christian
Owch
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Leigh, Lancashire, UK
Interests: Tropical freshwater - Plecs, Corys and Discus

Post by Owch »

racoll wrote:I like football, but I do feel very sorry for those that don't, to have put up with all the cr*ppy adverts and slightly racist flag waving and such.

That Neil and Christine Hamilton Song :roll:

I doubt there's ever been a more shameless act of bandwagon jumping.
Sorry, but WTF is racist about waving the English flag, THAT REALLY gets my back up.

Iâ??m English, from England funnily enough; my countries flag is the St Georges Cross, why should I not wave it to show my patriotism. My local curry house even has it flying out front (probably because most of the people that work there are English Pakistanis)

Political correctness gone bonkers again.

Tom (White English Male with no racist tendancies what so ever)
Be thankful for wooden floors!
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

In the US, we're shown idiots waving Nazi flags and idiots who throw bananas at black athletes. That's what ESPN Sportcenter has been showing us. Some people won't go to the games because of it. Is that what you're referring to, Racoll?
Amanda
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

bronzefry wrote:In the US, we're shown idiots waving Nazi flags and idiots who throw bananas at black athletes. That's what ESPN Sportcenter has been showing us. Some people won't go to the games because of it. Is that what you're referring to, Racoll?
Amanda
This stuff happened in Italy with Lazio Roma and is everything but representative for UEFA football. Banana throwing and "ough,ough,ough" yelling happens in Spain from time to time and in our lower league eastern towns. It is a problem but teams get fined if they dont controll their fans and it really is a tiny group.
In most German stadiums youll see flags from all over the world as most teams only feature around +-5 Germans in the starting lineups.
cheers
Christian
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

They never tell us where the stuff happens, being an American broadcast. Everything gets generalized as being "European". :roll: I'm sure too many generalizations are made about Americans. I won't even post those since it's not even worth the bandwidth. Did I tell you I'm trying to teach myself German? I had this urge to read the Wels Band 2 and I didn't want to wait for a translation.
Amanda :peace:
racoll

Post by racoll »

Easy Tom :D
Sorry, but WTF is racist about waving the English flag, THAT REALLY gets my back up.
I wondered how long it would take before someone reacted to that one.

I think the flags are great. It's really good to see the flag of England being taken away from the BNP and the far-right. It was only about 10 years ago when it was still seen as a symbol of racists, which it had been for 30 years.

I guess it may still be another generation before people lose that association.

I try not to associate them, but it's often usually the Sun reading white-van man that reminds me, with some utterly ridiclous (and often slightly racist) comment on asylum policy for instance (probably read in the Sun).

It's good to see kids and women having them on their t-shirts/cars though.

I saw this in Viz which made me laugh.

Gem
Location 1: Australia

Post by Gem »

I am not fond of footy or soccer either. I do like cricket and baseball but we don't have much baseball here.
Cheers

Gem
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Thankyou for all your anti - football comments everyone.

Carl.
125l
3 Discus.
1 Featherfin catfish.

450L
1 Giraffe catfish.
2 Shovelnose catfish.
2 Freshwater Barracudas.
1 Gibbiceps Plec.
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

The whole reason that soccer fans are always singing in the stands is because the game is so boring. They need to occupy themselves somehow.
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
Walter
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vienna, Austria
Location 2: Vienna, Austria

Post by Walter »

I like soccer very much.
Why? Don´t know - but I watch nearly each match of the WC if possible (the 3 p.m. matches are "difficult").
I guess there´s no better game to watch on TV (and of course live).
Today we Austrians are really bad in football - anyway, there´s much enthusiasm at (nearly) all of my friends.

So why I like football that much? I guess, cause we´ve beaten the Germans in 1978 (and 1986)... ;) (and England in Wembley somewhen in the 60´s...).
I also like watching ski races, but - we win everything in skiing, so that´s "boring", cause we have to be angry, if we only are "second winner".

So football is better - we can be happy cause of every little success (hope we will have at least some little succes in European Campionship in 2008).

It´s exiting but "more relaxing" watching WC as a "non participating country" - the last time, we took part at a WC (1998), I (and many others) nearly died of heart attack... ;)
And so there are no "Austrian tears" this year... men can cry (cause of football and if the Terminator dies in T2).

Soccer´s the best - and who doesn´t like soccer, should keep silent in these days, but not complain...
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

ClayT101 wrote:The whole reason that soccer fans are always singing in the stands is because the game is so boring. They need to occupy themselves somehow.
That's total, total nonsense.

Try singing the following with 10,000 other faithful.

We are Hibernian FC,
We hate jam tarts and we hate Dundee,
We will fight wherever we may be,
Cos we are the mental H F C!

Hail, Hail the Hibs are here,
All for goals and glory,
All for goals and glory,
Hail, Hail the Hibs are here,
All for goals and glory now.
For it's a grand old team to play for,
And it's a grand old team to say,
That if you know your history,
It's enough to make your heart go-oh-oh-oh,
We don't care what the animals say,
What the hell do we care?
For all we know
If there's going to be a show,
And the Edinburgh Hibees will be there!

There is a bonnie fitba team at Easter Road they play,
I go along to see them every other Saturday.
Their colours green & white the finest in the land they say,

As the Hibs go marching on........

Glory, glory to the Hi-bees
We are the Hi-bees boys.....

Aside from the fact it has real but very distant choral traditions, they're a big part of the whole coming together experience. Singing "who ate all the pies?" when Wayne Rooney enters play is nothing to do with boredom I can tell you.

Who ate all the pies?
Who ate all the pies?
You fat b*****d, you fat b*****d
You ate all the pies

Now, if you knew anything about football, you would have said a mexican wave, that is nothing to do with football and a good indication that there is a boring game going on or there were too many hospitality tickets sold for the game.

Jools

PS But why do all the German songs go to the tune of "Go West"?
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Jools,
The end-piece of the American magazine "Sports Illustrated" this week is dedicated to this very subject of singing at soccer matches. I just think we're new at it. Red Sox fans sing Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" at the 7th inning stretch and the Standell's "Dirty Water" at the end of every home game. Red Sox fans are as close as you can get to European football fans in the US, but they're baseball fans. There are headstones in cemeteries "I died waiting for the Red Sox to win the World Series." (this was before 2004)
Amanda
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

bronzefry wrote:this was before 2004
Even I watched that game, I was actually in the US at the time, fantastic happening and I was very lucky to stumble across it live. Like Greece winning Euro 2004. Anyway, try as I might, I still find it very distracting watching sport with so much advertising.

Mind you, its not as bad as watching football in Peru, there they have adverts running through the game on screen and on top of the action!

Jools
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

great lyrics Jools :lol:

I can picture you right in there with a couple o' thousand Scotsmen singing and drinkin'.
:wink:

I must say I used to give not a damn dime about football, but most of my friends do.
As a result I usually joined in to watch the match, just for the party atmosphere and ofcourse the singing and drinking (I definitely like to drink beer in good company).

but it somehow rubbed off and I found myself in the pub on friday, all dressed up in orange rubbish and singing with the rest of the crazies :lol: :oops: :roll: :wink:
Valar Morghulis
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

Wow, looks like I struck a nerve. Can you say....Zombie Nation? (oh oh oh song)

Anyhow, someone asked me if I had caught World Cup Fever. I said no, but I am feeling kind of quesy and had the runs right after watching 10 minutes of scoreless soccer.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night and don't forget to tip your waitress.
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us

Return to “Speak Easy”