World Cup 2006

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
andregurov
My cats species list: 11 (i:2, k:3)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: future wetlands of America, Louisiana
Location 2: New Orleans, Louisiana

Post by andregurov »

Ouch. Ukraine really stunk it up after performing so well in qualification. I think there is actually a decent fan base here in the US for futbol. A lot of people are simply sported-out round summer - football is just warming up, basketball is in the finals, baseball still keeps all the old people interested :wink: . Laying an egg against the Czechs did not help - even the Times-Picayune (in New Orleans) led that as their top sports story for the day. 4 years ago there was almost no coverage round here about the WC.

Speaking of Brazil not destroying a very skilled, disciplined, and focused Croatia - whatever happened to Denilson? His career seems to have seriously derailed ... I miss those useless stepovers he'd make 45 yards from goal.

And how about Dwight Yorke? Playing with intensity and focus - haven't seen that out of him in about 5-6 years. Did he impress at FC Sydney?

J
"What did the Caspian Sea?" - Saki
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I agree that there's so much more coverage in the US for this WC than the last. So many more people have hi-definition televisions, too. All the matches are broadcast in hi-def. You can see when a guy really does take cleats to the thigh. There are fan bases for a lot of teams: Mexico, Brazil, Ukraine, Croatia, practically every team when you think about it. I've been transfixed by almost all the matches. The Tunesia/Saudi Arabia match was incredible. Trinidad and Tobago!!!! The Poland/Germany match...WOW!

I feel your pain. For the US, Taylor Twellman was left off the team. DeMarcus Beasley is playing out of position. The US players are now making comments about each other. :roll: Hey, where's the 2010 World Cup? It seems everybody has a favorite athlete left off the team. And, so many people can't stand their coach! It's almost a universal constant.

Ecuador's leading 3-0 right now.
Amanda
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

How come the BBC doesn't broadcast the match between England and T&T right now?? BTW: first half has been played; 0-0....
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

That certainly was a lucky victory for England. Last few minutes, I thought victories like that were patented by Germany :wink:
andregurov

Post by andregurov »

Ouch. Spoiler. I knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread while watching a taped game :o

At least I'll have to watch to the end to see the winning goal, right?

J
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

Sorry. Next time I'll wait a bit longer before starting to tease our England fans :wink:
In answer to your question: 85th and 92nd minute. You can skip the rest.
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

FuglyDragon wrote:--> yannfulliquet re Brazil v new Zealand

Hey we kept them to single digits !!! Not bad considering the total lack of international competition our guys get. We are talking Brazil here, for our guys just to get a game was fantastic.
Yes!! it wasn't too bad...actually the starter didn't play to the level they use to...very relax...really not trying...if the play at 50-60% of the potential ... things light up with the substitues...
Still I never saw the "all whites" playing before that, more accustume to see the "all blacks"...and found they play quite well but surely both team are not on the same planet

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Trinidad and Tobago has nothing to be ashamed of today! Anybody else have a photo to describe a team? I imagine there are quite a few photos for Brasil. :D

The FoxSports Channel is starting to offer a separate soccer channel in the US. It will show the leagues from around the world. Big step forward. If one network offers a channel, ESPN won't be far behind.
Amanda
andregurov

Post by andregurov »

Fox Soccer Channel has been on the air here since last spring. They don't have the rights to too many leagues, though. It looks like they lost the broadcast rights to MLS this year.

Now let us see if the US can get a positive result against the Azzurri. One can but wish ...

J
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Marc van Arc wrote:That certainly was a lucky victory for England. Last few minutes, I thought victories like that were patented by Germany :wink:
Being Scottish, I can quite honestly say I've said in the last few days that England are the new Germany. This is worrying as they might end up in a final...

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Marc van Arc wrote:How come the BBC doesn't broadcast the match between England and T&T right now?? BTW: first half has been played; 0-0....
They are being broadcast, but they only have TV rights to broadcast it in the UK. I can watch it online too but only in the UK. Also, the BBC didn't have rights to this game, it was broadcast by ITV.

Jools
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

The US/Italy match was sick! The officiating was tolerable, until this match. This is turning out to be the "Group of Death" as feared. I'm on my 4th match of the day: New England Revolution vs. DC United. Not looking good for the Revs. The NE Patriots just had their Mini-Camp(American Football). The Red Sox beat the Atlanta Braves in interleague play today(baseball). The NBA finals(basketball) and Stanley Cup Finals(hockey) are in progress. Does it get any better than this for a sports fan? :ohyeah:
Amanda
andregurov

Post by andregurov »

I think Eric Wynalda said it best about officials- there are only 2 types: bad and worse. The Uruguayan ref showed no consistency, backbone, or restraint. What was showing to be a beautiful counter-attacking match got hacked into an ugly, exhausting contest. As a US fan, I'm partial. But that ref ruined a fantastically developing game.

That having been said, the US showed they belong ...

J
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Post by djw66 »

Italy - US; could have been better, but could have definately been much worse for the ole US. Officiating? No comment as this is a family site.

The shocker, at least for me, was Ghana snuffing out the Czech Republic 2-nil. First victory for an African team over a European side since 1964. Amazing. Shame I'm not a betting man.

Amanda, after being a sports editor for 15 years and a closet futbol nut, I agree this is a great time of year. Even shut down the computer and actually have been watching TV lately.

Dave
I dream of L-Numbers . . .
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

djw66 wrote:Officiating? No comment as this is a family site.
I thought the linesmen were at fault at times, but the ref did OK in a very hard game to referee. So, I don't think he was that bad at all. What did he do wrong? 1-1 appeared a fair result to me but the US finished strongly. I still don't rate Beasley. Italy may struggle against the Czechs; but all 4 teams can still go through.
djw66 wrote:First victory for an African team over a European side since 1964.
Err, didn't Senegal beat France in the last WC opening game in Korea? Maybe the stat is first victory over a European side in Europe since 1966 (no WC in 1964).

Given the mess the Italian game is in and their displays so far, I think the tournament would gain more if maybe Czech & Ghana went through.

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Image - Anyone else think McBridge looks like a young Dubya? :-)

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Heh, another excellent world cup story.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5091154.stm
bbc wrote:Football's governing body has explained why up to 1,000 Dutch fans watched a World Cup tie wearing no trousers.

Around 1,000 fans arrived for the Ivory Coast tie in their traditional bright orange trousers - but bearing the logo and name of a Dutch brewery.

To protect the rights of the official beer they were denied entry, so the male fans promptly removed the trousers and watched the game in underpants.

Fifa said an attempt at an "ambush" publicity campaign was not allowed.

Fifteen major companies have paid up to $50m (£27m) each for the right to be official partners at this World Cup.

The American firm Anheuser Busch, which makes Budweiser, won the exclusive right to promote and sell its beverage in the stadiums and other venues.

It's a shame the Scots aren't there, but the dutch fans are BRILLIANT!

Jools
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I thin k it's kinda beyond creepy that big companies now decide what and what not to wear.....

what's next: having your forehead branded with a sponsored logo and being denied entry if you refuse??

freaks the hell outta me, I tell you.

btw I have such pants; they're called "Leeuwenhose" wich is a pun on the German "Lederhosen" (traditional leather pants from Bayern). "leeuwen" means "Lions", wich makes it
"Lionpants" (the Dutch mascotte and royalty emblem is an orange lion); bright orange with a lion's tail.

came free with buying the beer :twisted:
Valar Morghulis
andregurov

Post by andregurov »

Jools wrote:
I thought the linesmen were at fault at times, but the ref did OK in a very hard game to referee. So, I don't think he was that bad at all. What did he do wrong?

Jools
My stance on refs: allow the game to develop naturally as 11 v. 11, interfering with yellow cards for "cynical" fouls and rash challenges, and with red for malice or compilation of yellow. The Uruguayan ref at that game issued a red card to Pablo Mastroeni for a rash tackle. Review the tape - the tackle was not made with studs up. A red card for this? The red card issued against the Italian player was harsh as well. Was the elbow used with bad intent? It certainly was more than leverage, but I'm not certain it was a red card offense. Eddie Pope's red card was more palatable, as he had been booked earlier - his 2nd yellow was for a tackle that he WON the ball on before taking down the player. To remove so many players on such debatable points RUINS the match. It removes players not just from this match but the next as well. But don't take my opinion alone about this - let's just watch and see what other games he and his crew are allowed to officiate. FIFA has higher standards than even a partial US fan :D

On the whole, the ref was inconsistent - how about them fouls at the end of the game? He stopped calling everything with about 15 minutes left! And that is the biggest crime - all one can ask for is consistency in match-calling.

Yes, the linesmen blew a couple offsides calls (to the US' favor, no doubt).

How long 'til the Tartan Army gets back into the WC? Will we see them in South Africa?

J
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

andregurov wrote: To remove so many players RUINS the match.
Agreed. So does the almost constant whistling by some referees, who are under the impression they play the starring roles.
Yet the USA team performed well against Italy. Don't forget Italy beat Germany (4-1) and the Netherlands (3-1) recently.
So you shouldn't be ashamed at all.
Amanda, I think they've found their hotel by now :wink:
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Post by djw66 »

Jools wrote:
djw66 wrote:First victory for an African team over a European side since 1964.
Err, didn't Senegal beat France in the last WC opening game in Korea? Maybe the stat is first victory over a European side in Europe since 1966 (no WC in 1964).

Given the mess the Italian game is in and their displays so far, I think the tournament would gain more if maybe Czech & Ghana went through.

Jools
Teach me to write a post at 4 a.m. What it should have read was "The first victory by an African team over a European side in Europe since 1964."

I know there wasn't a WC in '64. What I referring to was that its been 42 years since an African team beat a European team in Europe in international competition. Yes, in WC play its been 40 years.

Dave
I dream of L-Numbers . . .
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

Marc van Arc wrote: Amanda, I think they've found their hotel by now :wink:
I hope they find the stadium by Thursday. :lol: They say McBride's a bleeder. He's got titanium plates in his face. Probably doesn't feel a thing. I'm sure Dubya had many nights like that in his youth. I should probably stop there before I get myself in trouble. Saturday, I thought Eric Wynalda was going to have a hemmorhage over the officiating. They say no team has ever scored with 9 men. The US had opportunites. Germany looks quite good.
Amanda
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

Current Standings in the "Duffers League" as of June 20th, 2006

# - Team Name - Manager - Total Points

1. - Ameiurus nebulosus - Justin Whitepine - 136
2. - Phya - Teng M - 113
3. - Toontastic - Paul G - 111
3. - Eng1 - Andrew S - 111
5. - lol - Ping Pong - 110
6. - mothcats united - Adrian T - 108
7. - Smustangs - Neil W - 101
8. - Geographica FC - Christian H - 100
9. - Red Zebras - Ron C - 94
10. - Samba Team - Ramon G - 92
11. - wingdings - Julian Dignall - 83

Just thought I would throw a little salt in it.
Cheers, Whitepine

River Tank with Rio HF 20 (1290 gph), Eheim 2236.
- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

I agree, Sid. I also think it's beyond "big brother" that they had to take off their shorts because they didn't say "Budweiser." But, I love the name of the team! :twisted:
Amanda
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

@justin imagine how many points you could have had with a little clue :D and not starting Baros :O
I wonder why I dropped Klose...maybe Im just anoyed that he does his flipflops against international third class defenses and B-teams.

Anybody got a clue how this game works in the late knockout stages? With only 4-2 teams remaining? Will there still be a rule of 2 players per team?
cheers
Christian
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

When they get to this level of competition, you never know who will step up and be the hero or who will be the goat. Who would have thought a man who had a kidney transplant would play a great game to help his team win the NBA championship last night(Alonzo Mourning)?

I couldn't BELIEVE that pk from Mexico! Where was their party last night? :? I'm looking for a "bracket" sheet online to tell me how the games go. The one I got in my newspaper only takes it through the first round.
Amanda
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

have you checked this?
cheers
Christian
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

Caol_ila wrote:@justin imagine how many points you could have had with a little clue :D and not starting Baros :O
I wonder why I dropped Klose...maybe Im just anoyed that he does his flipflops against international third class defenses and B-teams.
I was pretty busy with work and missed the deadline... forgot what time it was with the time difference. I have adjusted and have done a little better. I think as the teams dwindle you can make more or unlimited trades.

Thanks for the link.
Cheers, Whitepine

River Tank with Rio HF 20 (1290 gph), Eheim 2236.
- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
Caol_ila

Post by Caol_ila »

@bronzefry heres the bracket schedule if youre too lazy to search ;)
cheers
Christian
bronzefry

Post by bronzefry »

I found it and was about to post the link to FIFA. I had to get a new router on my system. We had a few electrical storms and it fried like an egg. I was going at less than 5k on a broadband modem.

The US team just found their room keys and now it's time to go home. :evil: On the other hand, you have to feel good for Ghana. I hope they give Brazil a good game.
Amanda

Return to “Speak Easy”