I Found A Paleatus Fry....And More.......

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

I Found A Paleatus Fry....And More.......

Post by bronzefry »

Remember that posting I did that I wondering about parenting skills? Well, I found one of the fry still alive this morning, very robust and eating heartily....and next to a very dead L-187B Rubberlipped Pl*co. I have 2 L-187B's. The other is fine. Ironically, I took a pic a few days ago of the Rubberlipped that died, next to one of the Cories. You can see another Cory behind the rock. This was before I knew the fry was alive. I need to turn on the date feature of my camera!

The rock to the right is exactly where the fry was hiding. The Rubberlipped became territorial over the past few days and would not leave that spot. And I mean that exact spot. Last night, one of the female Cories tried to move that fish, snout to snout. The L-187B came right back to that exact spot. The other L-187B seemed to stay far away from the fracas. But, I don't know what happened during the night, but the result was a dead L-187B. I'm still wondering if the other L-187B is the culprit.

Please pardon the quality of the pics, but I had to try to take some of this little tyke.

When I started to take the above pics, the beta female came to block my view....

These may not be true "parenting" skills. They don't seem to care much about their eggs once they lay them. But, this particular batch of Paleatus I have are very protective of their little ones. Has anybody ever seen territorial Cories or protectiveness by Cories?
dave863
Location 1: N.Y

Post by dave863 »

hummmm, do I detect a new CSI spin off series. CSI aquarium? :lol:
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US