Advice needed

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.

Gravel or not that is the question I pose. I know that a bare bottom tank is easy to clean but it also makes it harder for pl*cos to eat.

bare bottom
No votes
or gravel
100%

Total votes: 10

gemsonthebottom
Location 1: Midwest U.S.A.

Advice needed

Post by gemsonthebottom »

Gravel or not that is the question I pose. I know that a bare bottom tank is easy to clean but it also makes it harder for pl*cos to eat.
CatBrat
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: New Zealand
Interests: Fish, Fishing, sports, Taking photos of fish

Post by CatBrat »

Can you give us some more info please. What will the tank be used for (ie - breeding plecos, a display tank, etc)?
Also why do you say that it makes it harder for them to eat? I have kept them in bare bottomed tanks and never had a problem. Just wondering.

Cheers, CatBrat.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I voted gravel. I think it looks more natural that way, and although it's easier to clean a bare bottom, it also makes it look dirty quicker because the dirt is easily visible on the bare bottom.

This is obviously one of those questions where personal preference comes in.

--
Mats
ramblin man
Location 1: Southampton, UK

Post by ramblin man »

I'd like to vote sand, as I think look looks best in the tank.

But out of these two options I'd go for gravel for sure.
The Ramblin Man
Ramblin since 1977

L18, L66, L91, L104, L114
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

I would not say this is an either/or question. There are very valid reasons for having or not having a substrate. A substrate makes no sense in a hospital or quarentine tank, but a display tank without a substrate never looks really good.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

No Gravel or sand in a pleco breeding tank makes feeding difficult and a lot of food can get filtered unless you lay out the tank very carefully. If you're keeping large plecos and you're not attempting a more audacious breeding attempt then I would go with no substrate and a painted base (external) I've used black and dark green to nice effect.

I didn't vote, but I would have if there was a third button for "Depends on what plecos or what you want to do with them".

Jools
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Gravel or not?

Post by djw66 »

I use dark natural gravel/course sand in all my tanks, as the fish 'seem' more at ease in a properly landscaped tank, quarantine included. Just my two cents.

Dave
I dream of L-Numbers . . .
cich_cat
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: US
Location 2: Fort Wayne, IN

gravel or not

Post by cich_cat »

I like the combination of black gravel and bare bottom. When given the choice :wink: I found most of the catfish in the tank like to lay on/in the wood and on the glass bottom, hardly ever on the gravel. I have some picture if you want to see what it can look like.
L002, L124, L128, L204, L264 ...
gemsonthebottom

Sorry it took so long

Right now I am trying to breed L-005 L-007 L-260 LDA-08 and dwarf albino Bristlenose, They are all in bare bottom tanks, like Jools said feeding live and frozen foods is the problem, By the way I would never set up a show tank with out gravel,I cannot believe that anyone would even think that someone would do such a thing! Oh well.
Thanks for any and all advice.
djw66
Location 1: Arkansas
Location 2: Arkansas

Re: gravel or not

Post by djw66 »

cich_cat wrote:I like the combination of black gravel and bare bottom. When given the choice :wink: I found most of the catfish in the tank like to lay on/in the wood and on the glass bottom, hardly ever on the gravel. I have some picture if you want to see what it can look like.
Lets seem them, then :)
I dream of L-Numbers . . .
gemsonthebottom

no camera

I would love to post some pics. but I do not have a digital camera. :(

Return to “Tank Talk”