Amzon abyss on Discovery channel 8/21 8-11pm et

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Amzon abyss on Discovery channel 8/21 8-11pm et

Post by WhitePine »

Just saw this was going to be broad cast in the states on Discovery channel - Amazon Abyss 8/21 8-11 pm et.

Link

I remember every one who seen it on BBC saying it was a let down... I guess I will see it for my self.

Cheers, Whitepine
Cheers, Whitepine

River Tank with Rio HF 20 (1290 gph), Eheim 2236.
- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I think it wasn't the greatest TV program I've ever seen, but the good pictures that you do get are worth waiting through the "dull" bits.

The biggest cause for complaint was that it was a lot of babble about how difficult it was, and how dangerous it was, etc, etc. And whilst I understand that they have to think about their own safety and perhaps also express some of their fears to the audience, I think they went a bit too far. It also felt like they had "filled out" several minutes in each piece, by adding "useless" content [in the UK it went out as half hour pieces over 5 days].

There were some nice shots of plecos, other catfish and some nice pictures of some Geophagus[?] type fish guarding it's fry.

--
Mats
kev
Location 1: Lancashire
Interests: Catfish and Stingray's

Post by kev »

I agree with you Mats, they mae it sound like they where expecting someone on the trip to DIE. Me and a friend where in brazil last year and had nowhere near the equiptment they had and got better footage and photo's than thy did, and guess what we both came back alive!!.

Kev
Put me dinner in the oven, im off to the Xingu!!!.
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

It's the hype.

the croc-hunter thing.

if it isn't agressive, dangerous and evil; make it so, to sell it.

That's why I refuse to watch it;
last night I watched another episode of David Attenborough's "The Life of Birds"

now if HE would make a series about fish; now THAT's a great documentary maker.

they don't make em that way anymore; people like him, I mean.
Valar Morghulis
retro_gk
Location 2: India
Interests: FISH!!!!

Post by retro_gk »

sidguppy wrote:It's the hype.
the croc-hunter thing.
if it isn't agressive, dangerous and evil; make it so, to sell it.
That's why I refuse to watch it;
last night I watched another episode of David Attenborough's "The Life of Birds"
now if HE would make a series about fish; now THAT's a great documentary maker.
they don't make em that way anymore; people like him, I mean.
I'll second that. Loved his "Zooquest" series when I was younger. And the best part is, most of his documentaries are available as books (I learnt to read out of "The living planet"). IMO, he has the best narrative style ever.
Rahul
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

I'll watch it! We have On-Demand, or whatever it's called. Most of the programs that are on the Discovery Channel are re-run On-Demand so that you can fast-forward through the boring parts or re-watch the good parts. Thanks for the heads-up, Whitepine. :D
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I actually think if you watched it knowing what we said about it when it was first aired on the BBC, you'd get more from it. There are some great shots, just no loch ness monsters and, as had been said above, way too much whinging.

Jools
WhitePine
I've donated: $51.00!
Location 1: Washington State

Post by WhitePine »

Anyone have a Tivo or recordable dvr?
Cheers, Whitepine

River Tank with Rio HF 20 (1290 gph), Eheim 2236.
- Apon boivinianus, Bolbitis, Crypt balansae, Microsorum Windelov, Vallisneria americana, Crinum calamistratum, Nymphaea zenkerii, Anubias barterii.
TiGrInUs
Location 1: USA

Post by TiGrInUs »

im glad they found the jau cat
lotsabettas
Location 1: Pa, USA
Location 2: Pittsburgh
Interests: reptiles, animals

Post by lotsabettas »

would have been nice if they had spent a bit longer on the species commonly found in aquariums rather than the brief 10 seconds with the angel fish near the end still it was worth watching and recording :D
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Location 2: USA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

lotsabettas wrote:would have been nice if they had spent a bit longer on the species commonly found in aquariums rather than the brief 10 seconds with the angel fish near the end still it was worth watching and recording :D
I agree completely. I finally managed to watch it last night, and was dissapointed. I think that there was really not enough footage for 2 hours...it seemed like there was lots of filler.

I think it would have better if they had concentrated on a clearer river (Xingu maybe, I believe it is clear) instead of the mearky Amazon.

I think a good show would just be on fish collecting in S. America for the aquarium trade. I would love to see more of the fancy plecos or common aquarium fish in the wild.
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us

Return to “Speak Easy”