"Plecostomus" Calaveras Lake , Texas.

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
MacAAA
Location 1: San Antonio, TX

"Plecostomus" Calaveras Lake , Texas.

Post by MacAAA »

Was not able to get out on the water today 07/13/06, but some fishing buds took pictures of what they ran into.

Fishing was good so Plecostomus took a back seat on this trip.

Two Plecostomus were caught in the bait net, only one was photographed.

All three pics are of the same fish.

Fish were caught by Jason and photographed by his dad Jack.

Plecostomus was caught and released as per â??Texas Parks and wildlifeâ?
KathyM
Location 1: Keighley, West Yorkshire

Post by KathyM »

Can't wait to see what the experts think - what a whopper! Looks liposarcus to me from the pattern and the dorsal, but I'll leave it to the experts to ID. How long was he? I think we need Shane here!
plecto
Location 1: australia
Interests: aquaria

Post by plecto »

That is a big one but not liposarcus i think. They don't get that big do they ?
Plecs: - L168's, L127's, L104, L001, L183's.
Syno's: - Multi's, Eupterus
KathyM

Post by KathyM »

It's been a matter of discussion on another board for some time. Most people I've spoken to about it believe that liposarcus can grow a LOT bigger than the scientific documentation. That's why it'd be interesting to know if this one is a liposarcus. I'm not saying it is, but I'm excited to find out - it certainly looks like the biggies I've seen :D
robby1619
Location 1: Cyprus

Post by robby1619 »

Wow..that is one of the most beautiful plecos i have seen,i mean especially that big :)
I will be reading this post later on because i would like to know what kind of pleco it is!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

MacAAA,

It's just your regular common pleco, they look great fresh out of the "wild". Off the top of my head, the "scientific documentation" reckons this fish to grow to around 45cm SL, and that looks about right given the size of the picture.

Nice catch. I'm amazed the correct thing (i.e. legal regulations) to do is return it to the water. Isn't there a local bye-law or something on exotic species?

Plecto,

Liposarcus do get this big, you're looking at one that is!

KathyM,

People may reckon, but I've not seen any much larger than this. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Jools
KathyM

Post by KathyM »

Hi Jools - Shane said there is no scientific documentation of one over the PC size, and that they don't grow over 11-12" SL as far as he knows - which is why we were trying to find pics of ones over that. this has got to be over 12" SL - way, way over *lol*. It'd be nice if this helped towards providing the proof Shane wanted to update the PC size.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

KathyM wrote:Hi Jools - Shane said there is no scientific documentation of one over the PC size, and that they don't grow over 11-12" SL as far as he knows - which is why we were trying to find pics of ones over that. this has got to be over 12" SL - way, way over *lol*. It'd be nice if this helped towards providing the proof Shane wanted to update the PC size.
I'm not sure Shane's 100% right about the documentation, he was maybe referring to the original description which was certainly bereft of size info. fisbase has it at just over 40cm and it doesn't look "way way" over to me - maybe 16" SL max? Was it measured?

Anyway, yes, the size info. is too small, I should probably change it...

Jools
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Is CLOFFSCA scientific documentation? If so, 40cm is the size listed there [well, even if it's NOT scientific, it still lists 40cm, as books don't change their contents based on their status ;-)]

--
Mats
KathyM

Post by KathyM »

I'm sorry, I'm not as up on plecs as you lot - just going on what Shane said on PF which was that maximum SL was 11-12", and that they didn't go over that to his knowledge. I've personally seen what I would class as liposarcus at much bigger than 11-12" (but as I said to Shane if there's a very similar species that gets bigger I don't know - they weren't gibbies and were being sold as "commons"). Shane was eager to see some proof of liposarcus going over his maximum as he has never seen one, or proof of one. That's why I'm so excited about this - it looks a good 18" to me (I've lightened it up in my photo editor and the fish is slightly twisted in the pic), but 16" SL sounds reasonable too - either way it's way way over what Shane said was possible! :D
Chrysichthys
My images: 1
My cats species list: 43 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Oxford U.K.
Interests: catfish!

Post by Chrysichthys »

Everything grows bigger in Texas, doesn't it?
STOP AND SEARCH TO BE REPLACED WITH GOOD, OLD-FASHIONED VIOLENCE
(Daily Mash headline)
Mike_Noren
I've donated: $30.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 37
My cats species list: 5 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Sweden
Location 2: Sweden

Post by Mike_Noren »

That is probably the best-looking common pleco I've ever seen.

Just out of idle curiosity... would it be possible/legal to collect and sell loricarids from US waters?
Perhaps it's already done?

Also, I note that the Army Corps of Engineers list L. disjunctivus as being introduced and established in Texas - how would one separate it from L. pardalis?
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Mike_Noren wrote:Also, I note that the Army Corps of Engineers list L. disjunctivus as being introduced and established in Texas - how would one separate it from L. pardalis?
No idea as they are very similar to look at, perhaps there is some clue in the catfish atlas vol2 and some German speaker can investigate?

Jools
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Mike_Noren wrote:Just out of idle curiosity... would it be possible/legal to collect and sell loricarids from US waters?
Perhaps it's already done?
I know of at least one group of aquarists that collect exotics in Florida and take them back up to NY state to sell or auction them - more as a good deed thing than for any profit.

Jools
pureplecs
I've donated: $40.00!
My images: 5
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 12 (i:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 2: USA, Florida

Post by pureplecs »

KathyM wrote:I'm sorry, I'm not as up on plecs as you lot - just going on what Shane said on PF which was that maximum SL was 11-12", and that they didn't go over that to his knowledge. I've personally seen what I would class as liposarcus at much bigger than 11-12" (but as I said to Shane if there's a very similar species that gets bigger I don't know - they weren't gibbies and were being sold as "commons"). Shane was eager to see some proof of liposarcus going over his maximum as he has never seen one, or proof of one. That's why I'm so excited about this - it looks a good 18" to me (I've lightened it up in my photo editor and the fish is slightly twisted in the pic), but 16" SL sounds reasonable too - either way it's way way over what Shane said was possible! :D
Perhaps he was speaking to the size they grow in the aquarium? In the wild a lot of species tend to grow larger then would in captivety...
MacAAA
Location 1: San Antonio, TX

Post by MacAAA »

Thank you, to all that have replied.

I found this site when trying to determine just what these strange fish we saw in the water and catching in our bait nets were.

I have only seen them in the San Antonio river and the two lakes that are feed from it.

I asked Jack and Jason to take any pictures of Plecostomus they came across while fishing on 7/13/06 so that I could post them here (I couldnâ??t make the trip).

Jack didn't measure the one pictured but said it was a good 18".

When I spoke to Jack today he said that another Plecostomus was caught. He also said that it was much smaller and had a different dorsal fin. Unfortunately a picture was not taken.

I'm interested in finding out how many different types of Plecostomus are in the wild in this area and maybe help add to this site.

In Texas you can't kill anything just to kill it.

I'm not sure on the collecting of exotics to sell in Texas, probably need a license or permit to do it.

When measuring a Plecostomus how should it be done. In Texas the official way to measure a fish is to pinch the tail and measure from tip of nose to end of pinched tail. If it needs to be done differently for proper I.D. how should it be done?

Yaâ??ll have to remember Iâ??m just a fishermen.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

The fish should be measured from the snout to the caudal peduncle. I have found the easiest way to measure is to set the fish on a good flat spot in the boat and use a pencil to mark the tip of the snout and caudal peduncle (basically where the caudal fin starts and the fish's body ends). Then take a measuring tape and measure the distance between the two pencil marks.
either way it's way way over what Shane said was possible!
Kathy,
You are greatly misrepresenting what I said. We have yet to positively identify the above sp and it was not (unfortunately) measured.
By way of background:
Kathy posted on another forum that PC's sizes for the various "common plecos" were wrong and cited, as proof, that 24" L. pardalis were "ten a penny" in the UK.
My response was, "PC has been around for 10 years and in that time none of us has ever seen or been sent a photo of an 18-24" SL L. pardalis. The second someone provides one we will make the necessary changes to the site to reflect this information."
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Judazzz
My images: 24
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 18
Location 1: Groningen, The Netherlands
Interests: Loricarids/Piranha's, Photography, Webdesign, Travelling, Electric Guitar, Webdesign, Beer...

Post by Judazzz »

Jools wrote:
Mike_Noren wrote:Also, I note that the Army Corps of Engineers list L. disjunctivus as being introduced and established in Texas - how would one separate it from L. pardalis?
No idea as they are very similar to look at, perhaps there is some clue in the catfish atlas vol2 and some German speaker can investigate?

Jools
The Mergus Wels Atlas vol. 2 states that in their natural range, L. disjunctivus is not as succesful as L. pardalis, because of which it is restricted to its current range (upper Rio Madeira) - expansion of this species to other area's in Brazil is called unlikely. Equally unlikely is the taking over of L. disjunctivus's habitat by L. pardalis, because of a number of natural boundaries (rapids, water falls) to difficult to take.
So all in all there's not much data about how these two species interact when found in the same habitat, for the simple reason that they are divided by natural barriers and thus not found together.

Hope this helps.

btw: Mergus states the maximum size of all Liposarcus species mentioned (4 in total) is 20-24"...
swoodruff
Location 1: Cypress, TX

Plecostomus in Texas

Post by swoodruff »

I was able to net one of about 8 adult Plecos that were scavanging on some rocks on the bank of a local bayou here in northwest Houston. I have a pond that has become the new home to this big guy. There are several nesting holes along the bank in a very confined space (a depressed area of the bayou with a depth of about 3 feet maximum & a length of about 30-40 yards depending on inflow). See photos in album

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/albu ... er_id=6255

There were several others that got away with much lighter coloration, one was nearly white & dark grey in color & could be a Florida Common but what was unusual was that they were feeding in the late morning sun against a concrete errosion control bank. I thought these guys only fed @ night. It also did not seem to bother their eye sight. This same bayou system (Upper White Oak) supports many other unusual fishes like Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) which is considered a Prohibited Exotic Species by TPWD as well as Rio Grande Cichlid (Cichlasoma cyanoguttatum).
Woody
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My articles: 6
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Shane, are the breeding holes usually in the sides of the bank? Have you seen them dig holes in the ground? If I remember correctly, the pictures from your trip showed pictures in the side of the river bank. Are there many fish farms in this area?
Amanda
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Amanda,
I have always seen holes in the actual bank. I am not sure if these are actually dug by the fish or are dug by land animals during the dry season and simply renovated by loricariids during the wet season. Many holes are dug in the dry season by iguanas on the banks. What types of holes they could be using in Texas... I have no idea.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
swoodruff

Plecostomus holes

Post by swoodruff »

I observed this pleco at dusk clearing his hole out. Image They definitly dig their own holes near the bank preferably along a gentle slope. The holes I have observed did not exist 2 weeks ago. They are usually within about a half foot of the water surface. At least that is what they are doing @ my location in Texas. This one seems to like to clean his hole out every notw & then, there are deposits of clay just outside of the hole & the opening is wider each time it is observed. They don't like it so much when you shine a beam of light in @ night. That was all it took to get him out of the hole & into a net.
Woody
taksan
My images: 3
My cats species list: 7 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: Australia and Uk
Location 2: Sydney and Surrey

Post by taksan »

Shane wrote: My response was, "PC has been around for 10 years and in that time none of us has ever seen or been sent a photo of an 18-24" SL L. pardalis.
-Shane
Oh Shane come on! I cannot believe you seriously believe that statment..... :roll:
The one in this thread looks much bigger then 18 inches to me and the first pic in the caterlog is of a fish that is 45cm ++ ...not to mention a couple of others in there. They grow big ....really big ....like it or not.
KathyM

Post by KathyM »

Shane wrote: Kathy,
You are greatly misrepresenting what I said. We have yet to positively identify the above sp and it was not (unfortunately) measured.
By way of background:
Kathy posted on another forum that PC's sizes for the various "common pl*cos" were wrong and cited, as proof, that 24" L. pardalis were "ten a penny" in the UK.
My response was, "PC has been around for 10 years and in that time none of us has ever seen or been sent a photo of an 18-24" SL L. pardalis. The second someone provides one we will make the necessary changes to the site to reflect this information."
-Shane
No, you're misrepresenting me. Anyone can read PF and see what I said. I said I've seen tonnes of "common plecs" characterised as liposarcus pardalis as handins in my LFS at way over 9.8" which your site is saying is the maximum, You said that you could believe that one might reach 11-12" maximum, but anything over that is "exaggeration". Now I personally have seen a common that looked to me to be nearing 2ft in TL. I can concede that it could've been less, maybe 18" SL, then tail added on. What I saw was to me identical to pics you've IDed on PF as liposarcus pardalis, and looked the same as this one. I've seen them sold on eBay regularly way over 9.8" SL, although if these "albino commons" and "commons" are a different species I'm happy to stand up and say I'm wrong, along with everyone else that has IDed them as such. I'm not the only person who has seen big commons, most people on PF who are more experienced than me warn people regularly that liposarcus pardalis reaches 18"-2ft, I myself have seen the whopper I posted above about, and several nearly 18" ones. I suspect just as I might judge slightly over, you must judge a fair bit under - someone measured their gibby on PF and you told them they were wrong by over 6" despite the photograph - your reasoning was that it was away from the tapemeasure (which I can concede makes it inaccurate, but doesn't distance take away size, not add to it?), etc, but that gibby was a fair bit bigger than you suggested to my eyes at least. I respect you have good intentions and want to be sure, but you can't deny everyone else's experiences or shut them off as liars as you have with me - I'm quite happy to be wrong on this, tell me what I've seen and I'll take it all back. "Commons" (whatever they turn out to be) DO go over 11-12", I've seen them bigger than that with my own eyes - like I have said over and over, show me a plec that is sold as "common" that isn't a gibby and is close enough to liposarcus pardalis to be identical to the untrained eye and I'll be happy to change my views. I don't want a fight, I just want to know the truth. I'd personally love a common but daren't get one in case I was right about their adult sizes, along with everyone else that has warned me. It's not helping me if I turn out to be right, it's hindering, so if you have an alternative explanation, you'll make my day ;)

Edited to add: Hey Shane - if I buy one of them and it exceeds 12", can I have your address to ship him to you? *lol* That can be my backup plan!
swoodruff

Large L. pardalis

Post by swoodruff »

Kathy,

We do grow them bigger here in Texas. The photo of the L. pardalis from Calaveras Lake does look to be bigger than my Goliath here in Houston. I have also seen one about 18-20 inches just last night but was unable to get a photo before he swam away. No doubt, seeing is believing.
Woody
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

KathyM wrote:which your site is saying is the maximum
Kathy,

For your info., it's my site, I enter the data. I also don't like the word liar - let's keep this civil please.

Jools
Last edited by Jools on 17 Jul 2006, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Anyway, this is all getting a bit silly, just lie one on its back and run a measuring tape along its belly, get someone else to take a picture and post it - can't be that hard if they're so common.

Let's see if they get near 24" TL.

Jools
Last edited by Jools on 17 Jul 2006, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

MacAAA wrote:I'm interested in finding out how many different types of Plecostomus are in the wild in this area and maybe help add to this site.
I think others have answered about measuring the fish, but as the post is veering a little, I just wanted to say that it is interesting to see these fish and we'd certainly like to help ID different ones you may find.

Jools
KathyM

Post by KathyM »

Jools wrote:
KathyM wrote:which your site is saying is the maximum
Kathy,

For your info., it's my site, I enter the data. I also don't like the word liar - let's keep this civil please.

Jools
I was using it in reference to the scoffs that were made at me, insinuating I'd made it up - I haven't called anyone here a liar. I've got nothing to gain either way (apart from a common if your site is right *lol*). I do apologise for getting site ownership wrong, it was implied elsewhere that it was Shane's site and I'm genuinely sorry I got it wrong.

I don't feel that this is working, I'm not going to learn anything from this. I didn't say I'd seen flying saucers carrying people off to distant planets, I said I'd seen a big plec. *lmao*
KathyM

Re: Large L. pardalis

Post by KathyM »

swoodruff wrote:Kathy,

We do grow them bigger here in Texas. The photo of the L. pardalis from Calaveras Lake does look to be bigger than my Goliath here in Houston. I have also seen one about 18-20 inches just last night but was unable to get a photo before he swam away. No doubt, seeing is believing.
Thanks Woody :) I'm not crackers then *lol*.

Return to “What is my catfish?”