Orange Spot Bristlenose

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Cicolid
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Bouvard Western Australia
Interests: Native Plants, Photography & Aquaria

Orange Spot Bristlenose

Post by Cicolid »

G'day All,

What is the general concensus on the correct name or L number of the Orange Spot Bristlenose ?

I have 4m & 6F, I am having trouble findng breeding requirements and info' on them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Col
Borbi
Expert
My articles: 4
My images: 64
My cats species list: 32 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 20
Location 1: Easton, PA
Location 2: United States

Post by Borbi »

Hi Col,

that´s the problem with all those trivial names: what´s an "orange spot bristlenose" for you?
It could either be this guy:

Which would be an Ancistrus sp. "Rio Paraguay" (at least here in Germany it is called like that) and has no L-Number. Questions about breeding those, I could answer.

And then, there is Ancistrus sp. "L110", which is a comparable Ancistrus, but with a lot more and smaller spots.

Greetings, Sandor

P.S.: There definitely are some more Ancistrus ssp. that would deserve being called "orange spot".undefined
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don´t know.
It´s what we know for sure that just ain´t so."
--Mark Twain
ndoboi
Location 1: Australia

Post by ndoboi »

G'day Col,
There is always a lot of debate over what we have in Aus in the way of 'Ospot BN'. There is a lot of breeding done with them in Brisbane where they are fairly common - I suggest that you drop by the Aus section of Plecofantics.com and see if any of the members there can help you out with breeding advice.

Cheers
Steve
Cicolid
My cats species list: 11 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Bouvard Western Australia
Interests: Native Plants, Photography & Aquaria

O/S. B/N

Post by Cicolid »

G'day all.
I finally found the correct name for what we in Western Australia call a Orange Spot Bristle nose. Have been informed it is an Ancistrus leucostricta..
Now all I have to do is some research on breeding them..
Thanks to all

Cheers
Col
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

To be correct, it should then be Ancistrus leucostictus.

There is a picture of one in fishbase Here, and to be honest, I don't think it looks much like the fish above, but I can't REALLY tell, as it's not anywhere near a "perfect" picture.

However, searching for "Orange spot bristlenose" turns up equivalence with L110, which has a location of Rio Negro/Amazon basin.

A. leucostictus is from Essequibo River basin and Oyapock River. Rio Negro isn't exactly next to this area [not half a continent away either, but I'd guess that they have different species of Ancistrus in them].

I'm by no means saying you're wrong - it's hard to say what fish is which species.

Without a capture location, it's pretty difficult to identify any Ancistrus spp., not helped much by the fact that many scientific descriptions are pretty "loose" in many cases [brown fish with lighter spots covers quite a few fish]. If I were a multi-millionaire with any sort of influence over research(ers), I'd ask for a revision of the Ancistrus genus, so that we'd get modern, reasonably accurate, descriptions of these fish with morphological and geographical data to allow us to correctly identify the species that are found in the trade.

--
Mats
Shaun
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
Location 2: Australia
Interests: Catfish...

Orange-spot

Post by Shaun »

G'day, there is an interesting thread on this species: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... hp?t=14146
The Orange-spot Bristlenose in Australia is not Ancistrus leucostictus or Ancistrus sp.L110.
In the thread above Borbi provided pics of a species sold in Germany as Ancistrus sp. "Rio Ucayali", this species is a fairly good match to the Australian Orange-spot in its juvenile and adult colours.
That said, without knowing the collection locality of the ones in Oz, their identity is probably always going to be uncertain.
They're quite easy to keep though, and not too difficult to breed. The parameters outlined for
Ancistrus dolichopterus in the cat-elog would be a good place to start as the Orange-spot is probably a blackwater species judging from it colouration.
HTH
Shaun undefined

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”