RO water problems

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
bigward
Location 1: Hartlepool - U.K.
Interests: Anything Fishy ........

RO water problems

Post by bigward »

I am getting tired of going backwards and forwards with bottles of RO water from the local shop - so I have decided to buy one.
I have 2 4x2x2 tanks so I am looking at a 50gpd unit from RO-man (3-stage with DI unit), my questions are thus:

Are they easy to install - if possible I was going to connect it to the outside tap - which is used for watering the garden. (and switch it from one-to-another)

What is the best method for storing large quantities of water - I was looking at a large garden water container (are these safe ?)

Is there anywhere specific to purchase cheap water barrels ?

Thanks very much
"Toodle ooo"

Comic Book Guy
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

I will start by saying that I'm reasonably familiar with plumbing and can and will solder pipes for water supply [have done so in my house for both central heating and hot/cold water supplies in kitchen + bathroom].

The one I bought recently came with a "clamp connector", which just clamps over an existing 15mm water-pipe, so I pulled a piece of pipe into my fish-room from the bathroom, and attached the clamp-connector to that. Works well. For ease of use, I'd recommend getting one a full-bore 15mm lever ball-valve Screwfix direct page with picture (You can get one from any decent local plumbing supplier for a little bit more - comes in three colours for your choice). These valves are much easier to use than any other option, and as they are full bore, they don't restrict waterflow (at least nowhere near as much as other similar things).

If you want to attach to an outside tap and don't want to plumb in a 15mm pipe on your existing line, you caould get a hose connector and connect it to a piece of pipe, with a stop-end on the other end. Most DIY and plumbing shops sell 15mm pipes in 2m lengths. Easy to cut with a hack-saw (or a pipe cutter if you want to get one of those into your tool collection).

I use a set of two 25g[1] loft storage tanks to hold water, which I placed about 1.5m (5ft) above the floor to get some gravity to get the water into other the tanks. The two tanks are connected with a piece of pipe and I put a Eheim pump in one of the storage tanks, which pump water from that tank into the other tank, to keep it "fresh" when it's not being used up. [I also have a valve between the storage tanks, so that I can move all the water to one tank if I wish, and I have a piece of hose connected to the side of the tank for "level checking"].

I also bought some PVC pipe (same as you use for external filters) to get from my storage tank to my big tank in the middle of the house. Don't buy this from your LFS until you know that you can't get it elsewhere - elsewhere is probably much less expensive for the same thing [it may not be green or grey, but you'll save a bundle!]

[1] 25g is the nominal volume. As I've installed it, I get about 30-35g in them, since I don't need room for a ball-valve or any of the other stuff that normally resides in a loft-tank.

--
Mats
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My articles: 1
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I bought an RO Garden hose adapter so I can take advantage of the higher water pressure. It greatly increased my output of product water compared to my indoor water pressure. I have a 60 gpd RO/DI unit.

The apapters are made of plastic although they are also available in ss/steel. Cost in US $ =$6.50 to $10.00.
They have the same hose locking connections as the machine.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Funnily enough I am just setting my RO up in the greenhouse from a garden tap.

Most garden taps have a 3/4" thread, so you will need a Tap Connector Compression Fitting 15mm x 3/4" to join to 15mm copper pipe.

Then you have 6" of copper pipe with an end cap.

As Mats said, the RO comes with the clamp connector which can be used as a valve.

When you need to water the garden, just close the clamp valve and unscrew the whole apparatus from the tap.

I store my RO water in 40L camping containers (you have to remember to switch containers though). This way I can transport large amounts of water quickly (not good for your back).

I would ditch the DI unit though, as this greatly reduces production (in my experience) and is only really needed to remove the final 10-20 or so microsiemens (not required for fish use).

:D
racoll
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Also, you can use the waste water from the RO to water your garden. :D
bronzefry
I've donated: $100.00!
My images: 13
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 7 (i:7)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Sharon, Massachusetts, US

Post by bronzefry »

Once you purchase the unit, you can change up or down in size. You need to buy a little gadget called a flow restrictor(about $4 American) plus the cost of a new membrane(and if you have difficulties like me and can never get the membrane housing open once it's sealed, another membrane housing :oops: ). I started at 50 gpd. The longer I went at this rate, I realized it wasn't enough. When it was time for a new membrane, I upsized to the 100 gpd.

Another thing to take into consideration is your water pressure directly out of the tap. If you've got a good, strong flow, you'll likely get the "true" 50 gpd. If the flow is weaker, it may be more difficult to get the amount of water you need.

I also use the waste water for the garden and house plants. :D
Amanda
bigward
Location 1: Hartlepool - U.K.
Interests: Anything Fishy ........

Post by bigward »

Thanks for all the reply's. I am going to phone RO Man today and get one.

Cheers
"Toodle ooo"

Comic Book Guy

Return to “Tank Talk”