Question about Channel Catfish

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from other parts of the world (North America, Europe and Australia). If you don't know where your catfish is from, post a query in the identification category.
WhiscashPKMN
Location 2: Meteor Falls

Question about Channel Catfish

Post by WhiscashPKMN »

How long can a Channel Catfish survive out of water?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: Question about Channel Catfish

Post by Shane »

I have never seen an actual study, but certainly not more than several minutes.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
WhiscashPKMN

Post by WhiscashPKMN »

I'm not sure about that. Yesterday, some friends and I caught some at a secret place near Woodland, California. The first one was placed on the ground for a few minutes, then was moved to a water-filled bucket when he tried to flop back into the river. I later took him home in a plastic bag with no water. It was a 30 minute trip, and when I got home at 7:30 PM, he was still alive. We put him in the refridgerator. Next day, at 5:00 PM, we took him out and he was STILL alive!
Richard B
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 9
My images: 11
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:47)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: on the sofa, or maybe at work?
Location 2: Warwickshire: UK
Interests: Tanganyika Catfish, African catfish, Non-loricariid sucker-catfish.
Running, drinking, eating, sci-fi, stapelids

Post by Richard B »

WhiscashPKMN wrote:I'm not sure about that. Yesterday, some friends and I caught some at a secret place near Woodland, California. The first one was placed on the ground for a few minutes, then was moved to a water-filled bucket when he tried to flop back into the river. I later took him home in a plastic bag with no water. It was a 30 minute trip, and when I got home at 7:30 PM, he was still alive. We put him in the refridgerator. Next day, at 5:00 PM, we took him out and he was STILL alive!
& what was the purpose of this? Are you eating the fish? If so it would have been better to prevent the suffering it has experienced. Chances are the conditions in the bag were "moist" & that being in the fridge has slowed down bodily functions but this is an unusual occurance for this type of cat to survive so long - especially in inhumane conditions :(
Lou: Every young man's fantasy is to have a three-way.
Jacob: Yeah not with another fu**!ng guy!
Lou: It's still a three-way!

Hot Tub Time Machine: 2010
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

It was a 30 minute trip, and when I got home at 7:30 PM, he was still alive. We put him in the refridgerator. Next day, at 5:00 PM, we took him out and he was STILL alive!
There may have been some muscular reflex, but he was no longer "alive" and would not have recovered even under the best of conditions.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
WhiscashPKMN

Post by WhiscashPKMN »

Yes, we ate the fish.
Bristlenose 94
My cats species list: 15 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 10
Location 1: NJ
Location 2: USA

Post by Bristlenose 94 »

.......after it sat an a fridge for a day, alive?

Return to “Other Catfishes”