Breeding C. Julii?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
jeffreyrichard

Breeding C. Julii?

Post by jeffreyrichard »

I have a colony of 12 C. Julii I acquired from a friend who imports from SA. I've had them for almost 6 months. How easy is it to breed Julii? Should I do anything special? How big should they be? I have no idea how old they are.

Thanks

Jeff
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My aquaria list: 21 (i:13)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Breeding C. Julii?

Post by Jools »

jeffreyrichard wrote:I have a colony of 12 C. Julii I acquired from a friend who imports from SA. I've had them for almost 6 months. How easy is it to breed Julii? Should I do anything special? How big should they be? I have no idea how old they are.

Thanks

Jeff

12 is a good number indeed. You almost certainly do not have C. julii (see other posts within this forum) - they will probably be C. trilineatus. Have a look at the CotM article on them.

If you really do have 12 C. julii then tell your importer friend to post here!

Jools
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

Post by philtre »

hi jeffreyrichard,

any pics?

:wink:
Bathos
I've donated: $20.00!
Location 1: USA, Pennsylvania
Interests: Corydoras and other freshwater fish

Post by Bathos »

my C. trinlineatus spawned for me rather unexpectedly. feed them well, then try doing a water change with cooler water. worked for me! (even though i didn't mean it to...) just be sure to give them some time to settle in before you try to breed them, and watch very carefully for eggs/fry. i watch my tanks carefully, but didn't see the little guys 'till they'd hatched and were swimming around. they were probably 3 or 4 days old by that point.
-Liz
jeffreyrichard

Post by jeffreyrichard »

Based on the info in this site, I believe these guys to be in fact Trilineatus. If I get a chance I'll shoot some pictures and post them. Thanks.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”