Pimelodus ornatus info plz!!!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
bigamefish
My images: 5
My cats species list: 9 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: birtle mb
Location 2: manitoba canada
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Pimelodus ornatus info plz!!!

Post by bigamefish »

Hello everybody I am new to this forum thing but I figured when nobody else could help me maybe
This could and my question is everything pimelodus ornatus!!! Good experiences, bad experiences, anything would be a help to me! Thanks
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Re: Pimelodus ornatus info plz!!!

Post by MatsP »

Have a look at .
There are links there to the "Catfish of the Month" and "Shane's world" articles on this species as well.

--
Mats
bigamefish
Interests: anything catfish!!!! also in the summer i am a full time sport fisherman and winter is downhill skiing and icefishing

Post by bigamefish »

cmon there has to be more people with anything pimelodus ornatus!!!!
"Fishing provides that connection with the whole living world. It gives you the opportunity of being totally immersed, turning back into yourself in a good way. A form of meditation, some form of communion with levels of yourself that are deeper than the ordinary self."

Ted Hughes
racoll
My articles: 6
My images: 182
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 238
Location 1: Bristol
Location 2: UK

Post by racoll »

Try and be more specific in your questions. Despite wanting to I'm sure, not everyone has time to sit down and write an essay on everything they know about the species!

Hope this helps.
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

ok i am a forum beginner so i will try more specific questions next time!! thanks

Ted Hughes
Redtailrob
My cats species list: 48 (i:20, k:11)
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hertfordshire
Location 2: England
Interests: Rare Catfish, P Bass, Predatory Fish, Sport Mad, Boxing, Thai Boxing, Weight Lifting, Nutrition, Fishing, Oceanography, sharks, Natural world, Travel, Culture, Good coffee, Good wine, Foodie

Post by Redtailrob »

Bigamefish, what exactly do you need to know?
P.Ornatus are terrifc fish for the larger community aquarimum, When i say that i mean with fish that are too big to be eaten or too timid to be hassled easily.
P.Ornatus can exceed 10" in length, they are a very active Pim & thrive well in a large set up containing a few hiding places, some large Bogwood pieces, that kind of thing, plus plenty of swimming space.
As with most SA pims excellent water quality & filtration is required.
They will readily accept almost anything you wish to feed them, items such as worms, prawns etc are especially apprecaited.
These are truly beautiful fish especially when larger.
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL
Location 2: USA

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Welcome, Bigamefish! Have you taken a look at what Mats provided? If you read that, this will eliminate a need for a written lecture. I second what Rob says above. They are a typical smallish-to-mid-size pim catfish with a typical behavior and requirements. They are awfully cute and more rare than other similar pims in the trade - hence, priced higher. They can exhibit nervous, flighty behavior in small tanks, especially of their long barbels can touch both front and back glass panels of a tank at the same time, if the lighting is not subdued or flat out very dim, if there is little cover and no dither fish to make them feel safer, etc. They have a quirky character and can interact with the owner, eventually can even be hand-fed. They can eat tank-mates that can fit in their mouth. They can make croaking noises. IME, they like each others' company.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Thanks well I got one a very beautiful on too!! I also got a nice L128 pleco and a tiny cuckoo cat he is very cute!!

Ted Hughes
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

I hope not in the same tank....

the Cuckoo Cat is from Tanganyika in Africa and needs completely different water than South American pleco's or Pims

they should not be in the same tank at all.

adding to that: the Cuckoo Cat is a shoaling fish. it must be properly kept in a group.
Valar Morghulis
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Haha don't worry the cuckoo is in an African tank
And the other two in a south American tank! And I am getttig more cuckoos

Ted Hughes
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

Pedantically speaking, SidGuppy is correct. But it is also known that majority of imported fishes adapt just fine to the majority of the water types found in the US.

I wouldn't squabble over the majority definition, e.g., 51% or 99% or something in between.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Viktor Jarikov wrote:Pedantically speaking, SidGuppy is correct. But it is also known that majority of imported fishes adapt just fine to the majority of the water types found in the US.

I wouldn't squabble over the majority definition, e.g., 51% or 99% or something in between.
Yup I'll likely end up putting him with them anyway he is getting harassed by my cichlids and
My south American tank Is all catfish !

Ted Hughes
sidguppy
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Pedantically speaking, SidGuppy is correct. But it is also known that majority of imported fishes adapt just fine to the majority of the water types found in the US.

I strongly disagree with this, Victor; your comment is uncalled for!

first: calling advice 'pedantic" is dumbing it down and/or ridiculing the one who gives it; i flat out refuse to accept that kind of behavior from anyone when it's pointed at me.
if I am forced to accept people heaping ridicule on me simply because I give advice that one does not like to read, I might as well quit with this forum here and now.
that is unacceptable

second; the advice on this forum is based on what is good and proper for the fish, it is NOT however based on the lines of "what we can get away with".

Rift catfishes do not belong in South American tanks.
their requirements are different.
a GOOD hobbyist should always strive to keep his or her fish the way they should be kept: with the right waterparameters, tankmates and furniture.
Valar Morghulis
Marc van Arc
Expert
My articles: 20
My images: 61
My catfish: 9
Spotted: 35
Location 2: Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Post by Marc van Arc »

The word "pedantic" has a very negative ring in Dutch, so I wouldn't have used it either.
On the other hand Alex, pls don't forget Victor is not a native speaker and knowing him a bit, I'm sure he has no intention to offend you. I'm sure he will tell you so himself.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

I would not bother about pedantic

Still, a rift catfish will need a pH of over 8, while a catfish from the Amazon river will not like a pH of over 7

And a black water one will not even like 6

I see no opportunity for a compromise. Compromizing this @ pH 7.5 will be bad for all.

Therefore I strongly agree with Sidguppy.

Still, as the question - are the fish in the same tank? has satisfyingly been answered with a 'no', I wonder whether this discussion is about something anymore.
cats have whiskers
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

Not quite sure whether your last conclusion is correct, Bas
bigamefish wrote: Yup I'll likely end up putting him with them anyway he is getting harassed by my cichlids and my south American tank is all catfish !
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

oops
cats have whiskers
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

U guys can RELAX!!! They are in proper tanks correct water hardness and all they are happy and ok!!! Alright ???

Ted Hughes
unblinded
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Hooks, Texas
Location 2: United States

Post by unblinded »

One must realize we can never truly duplicate in the enclosed settings of a glass box what the fishes are accustomed to in nature. The goal is to get it as close as possible. Catfishes are very adaptable to different water conditions to what they are found in the wild. But we mustn't be so naive as to think we are recreating exactly what they are accustomed to in nature. Some people prefer to keep common plecos or ancistrus in every tank for algae control, regardless of the ph, hardness, etc. Is this wrong? It's not my place to police what others do, only myself. What can be done is not always what should be done. That being said, Syno multipunctata would be happier in a different setup than a Pim Ornatus would. But, to each his own. And, like Sid says, if you want to see that cuckoo thrive, buy some more--a school is an awesome sight. One by itself is usually just in hiding.
Catfish Addict Posing As Cichlid Enthusiast
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Guys,

Here we have a newbie to the forum asking, a little generally, about experience with a particular species.
bigamefish wrote:Hello everybody I am new to this forum thing but I figured when nobody else could help me maybe
This could and my question is everything pimelodus ornatus!!! Good experiences, bad experiences, anything would be a help to me! Thanks
We appear to have gone a bit off-topic. Can, from this point onwards, we please talk about the question quoted above?

Jools
PS Great fish, make sure they have open swimming space where their barbles don't touch hard objects.
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Thanks jools!! Do People really rant about random crap like this all the time ? Cuz thats stupid and really I could do whatever the hell I want and you people couldn't do anything! But luckily I care about my pets and take good care to make sure there happy

Ted Hughes
Marc van Arc
Expert

Post by Marc van Arc »

Temporarily locked.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

bigamefish wrote:Thanks jools!! Do People really rant about random crap like this all the time ? Cuz thats stupid and really I could do whatever the hell I want and you people couldn't do anything! But luckily I care about my pets and take good care to make sure there happy
Well, I can't say people generally don't have a rant now and again. I've been known to do it about people who use CAPITALS or shorten words like because to cuz. :-) As a newbie, I should perhaps explain that this is an international forum, so sometimes there are misunderstandings due mainly to the fact that some people's English understandably isn't as good as others. Contractions and slang also increase confusion. Also, there is a broad range of ability in terms of using technology. We are also all in different timezones and have different work/life situations that mean that replies will not often be as quick as you may expect. Many of us have also been around long enough to recognise when we are firing out an angry reply and just stop, take 24 hours, and come back to it. In writing this response, I've need to pause, go comfort a crying baby and come back. Yet, even with such varied backgrounds, we all try to get along in the pursuits of catfish knowledge and all that good stuff.

I appreciate your post was hijacked a bit, but using words like stupid to describe a fellow forum member will get you into hot water pretty quickly. If you "do whatever the hell" you want, you will likely be banned by "you people". Which, I am sure, would be your loss and ours. So, I appreciate that some of the responses in your thread were a bit OTT, but they happened because of a passion for catfishes and for the rooting out and correction of misinformation.

The thread was (wisely) locked by Marc to allow the heat to dissipate and so now, hopefully, we can discuss any specific queries you might have about the Pim or, I'd suggest in other threads, your other catfishes.

Jools
wrasse
My images: 9
My cats species list: 22 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 5
Location 1: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Location 2: Pailton, Warwickshire, UK
Interests: catfish, photography, gym, cooking

Post by wrasse »

Hi bigamefish,

I've kept pims and synos, but not P Ornatus or S Multipunctatus. What I do know is that, ideally, they are both best kept in a group of their own kind, that way you see more of them and more natural behaviour.

P ornatus will eat most foods, they are greedy. Cuz ( :d ) they are fast its best to keep them with other fast fish so they all get their fair share when you feed. If you kept them with plecs, the plecs may slowly starve.

Pier Aquatics in the UK has a show tank with several Pim Ornatus, a shoal of myleus (dollars) and a group of pike characins. It works well because its a big tank, well filtered, water that suits all 3 species. When the food goes in its a feeding frenzy but because they're are all well-matched... it works.

Richard
Viktor Jarikov

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

I didn't and still don't think much of what I said. It was just my opinion, just like yours and anyone else's and that opinion was directed at the topic, not your words whatsoever. I am truly sorry, Alex, that you appear to take it the wrong (IMO) way. If you need it deciphered:

"If I were Pedantically speaking, I'd say that SidGuppy is correct. But I'd also say that it is also known that majority of imported fishes adapt just fine to the majority of the water types found in the US."
sidguppy wrote:first: calling advice 'pedantic" is dumbing it down and/or ridiculing the one who gives it
To this moment, I have no idea where you are coming up with my calling/ridiculing something something. Neither do I see it as because of my insufficient English (still thanks Marc!).

If none of this is satisfactory to you, please, accept my humble apologies.

Back to topic: Bigamefish, P. ornatus is a rather rare fish, IMO and IME. But their care and behavior is not much different from that of their brothers, the most common pims of their kind in the trade - P. blochii and P. tetramerus. Almost every LFS has them. Read up on these and you should be all set.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com
bigamefish

Post by bigamefish »

Thanks! Then I should feel lucky then!!! Mine is a rather large one too! He is a fascinating fish to watch! A true gental giant! Exept for smaller fish of course!
Also I too apologize for my comment a bout the ranting and all I was out of line and I understand that the rest of you are just as serious about fish keeping as i am! And also all the fish that we argued about are in proper tanks and are happy!

Ted Hughes

Return to “South American Catfishes (Everything else)”