Parotocinclus sp. Nanay Eanea

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
James0816
My images: 8
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:1)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Virginia

Parotocinclus sp. Nanay Eanea

Post by James0816 »

These guys are listed as Parotocinclus sp. Nanay Eanea. Question is, are they actually listed under a different name? I haven't heard of sp. Nanay Eanea before. They kind of remind me of Parotocinclus sp. 'Peru' just not sure.

Any assitance will be greately appreciated.
Parotocinclus sp. Nanay Eanea.jpg
Acanthicus
My articles: 5
My images: 91
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 79
Location 1: Kiel
Location 2: Germany

Re: Parotocinclus sp. Nanay Eanea

Post by Acanthicus »

Look like P. sp. "Peru". Any lateral shot available?
Daniel
James0816

Post by James0816 »

Unfortunately, the only shots were from above. Here is the other pic I have:
Parotocinclus sp. Nanay Eanea 2.jpg
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
Nanay is the river, so I think Eanea is probably the collection site. Julio Melgar is active in that area (Upper Amazon region, nr. Loreto Peru) and several commercially available Corydoras and Apistogramma species were collected from the Rio Nanay.

This fish was sold under the same name (by Aquajardin) in the UK in 2010.

cheers Darrel
MatsP
My articles: 4
My images: 28
My cats species list: 117 (i:33, k:0)
My aquaria list: 10 (i:8)
My BLogs: 4 (i:0, p:97)
Spotted: 187
Location 1: North of Cambridge
Location 2: England.

Post by MatsP »

Parotocinclus sp peru = ?

--
Mats
Acanthicus

Post by Acanthicus »

MatsP wrote:Parotocinclus sp peru = ?

No. That two belong to different species, very different pattern and the Nannoptopoma grows a bit larger (about 10mm).
Last edited by Acanthicus on 11 Jan 2012, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
The.Dark.One
I've donated: $26.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 20
My cats species list: 41 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Castleford, West Yorkshire, England
Location 2: Castleford

Post by The.Dark.One »

IMO these are . The pattern is quite distinctive, especially that on the head. The ones in these shots have gone a bit pale but the pattern is still there.
Acanthicus

Post by Acanthicus »

Yes.

P. sp. "Peru" = P. sp. "3"
Daniel
James0816

Post by James0816 »

MatsP wrote:Parotocinclus sp peru = ?

--
Mats
Definately not Nanno's. I have a group of them and they look nothing like what is pictured.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

The.Dark.One wrote:IMO these are . The pattern is quite distinctive, especially that on the head. The ones in these shots have gone a bit pale but the pattern is still there.
I agree with Steve (TDO). not sure they are really Paraotocinclus, but its the best fit. Same fish as the OPs pics IMHO.

Jools
The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One »

Yeah, they are are probably a member of an undescribed genus. My friend found them very difficult to keep. He just couldn't get them to eat.

http://www.scotcat.com/thedarkone/loric ... p_peru.jpg
http://www.scotcat.com/thedarkone/loric ... _peru2.jpg
http://www.scotcat.com/thedarkone/loric ... _peru3.jpg

The regular exporter from Peru calls them 'Enana', which is similar to the name in the thread of your post.
Last edited by The.Dark.One on 11 Jan 2012, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
AleGer
My articles: 2
My images: 31
My cats species list: 34 (i:21, k:0)
My aquaria list: 6 (i:0)
My BLogs: 13 (i:53, p:562)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Ukraine, Kiev
Location 2: Ukraine, Kiev
Interests: Fishing

Post by AleGer »

Almost 3 years ago we reciwed some small paratocinclus from river Nanay, and it was called Eanea. We Identified it as Paratocinclus sp. 3.

Here the picture from Cat-e Log of that fish:
Acanthicus

Post by Acanthicus »

The.Dark.One wrote:Yeah, they are are probably a member of an undescribed genus.
There is somebody who is working on the description of a new genus for the Parotocinclus longirostris - group. Means: P. eppleyi, P. aripuanensis, P. britskii, some undescribed species and P. longirostris itself of course.
Daniel
dw1305
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
I haven't kept these, but if they won't eat conventional food, I would try them in a tank with a lot of leaf litter, and possibly feed micro-worms as well. I these get snagged on the leaf surface they may be eaten. I've found both Otocinclus and Corydoras pygmaeus showed a lot of feeding activity on leaf, plant and sponge surfaces after I'd fed both microworms and rotifers, although there were no visible food items.

cheers Darrel
Acanthicus

Post by Acanthicus »

Hi,

leaf litter is very good. Even better is in my opinion a tank full of algae. I´ve kept P. eppleyi in a very small tank, but full of algae, wood and leaves without problems. Some friends kept them in normal ("clean") tanks, and they all died within a few weeks.
Daniel
dw1305

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
leaf litter is very good. Even better is in my opinion a tank full of algae. I´ve kept P. eppleyi in a very small tank, but full of algae, wood and leaves without problems. Some friends kept them in normal ("clean") tanks, and they all died within a few weeks.
I only have planted tanks and I think the periphyton ("biofilm") is a much under-rated resource. I like to set up a new tank, inoculate it with oak leaves, plants and wood, and mulm and a starter pack of Ostracods, Copepods, Planaria, Daphnia etc and then wait for several months until the biofilm has developed, before adding any fish. The fish arrive in a stable tank with a lot of live food available.

After that I don't do any regular tank maintenance (I do remove dead leaves from plants and thin the floaters etc), other than a daily 10% water change, and an occasional front glass clean.

I also like to have an exposed sponge surface that isn't cleaned too regularly, an HMF is ideal, but a large pre-filter sponge on an external or air powered sponge filter will do.

cheers Darrel
James0816

Post by James0816 »

I currently have my Nanno's in a 20long river tank setup. Running one power head with an air tube for maximum oxygenation. No maintenance to the tank other thank topping it off for the time being. Photo period is 16hrs to encourage algae growth. Like Oto's, they seem to like Zucchini as well. I'll have to look into the leaf fodder and see about adding a few oak leaves in there as well. Just don't want any tannins to be released.

Trying to get a small group of the Parotocinclus' to add to the tank. We'll see if they come in.
bsmith
My cats species list: 2 (i:0, k:1)
Location 1: St.Louis, MO

Post by bsmith »

The tank that I am planning on putting the six I get from mark is inhabited by CRS and I put almond leaves in it. I tear the singular leaves into chunks about one square in. Hopefully there will be plenty of Aufwuchs feeding on the litter.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

Here is a cool story/article about the Rio Nanay in Peru. From all the pics I have found, it looks more like a blackwater Amazon bio-tope rather than a whitewater bio-tope.

http://www.aquatic-experts.com/Searchin ... TICLE.html

What do you all think, will tannins be an issue in the tank with these guys?
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

Several years ago I bought a group of about 20 of these.
I bought them as Parotocinclus cf. eppeleyi but they were identical to your specimens.
I guess now they are more accurately
I kept them in a 20 long equipped with a lot of aeration and sponge filter.
I used a well established black water 20 long tank.
I used almost pure RO water with a pH kept between 3.5 and 4.0.
Mine only ate Spirulina sticks well.
I had strong currents supplied by a MaxiJet 600 power head attached to on of two sponge filters and the other was run using
a conventional airlift.
I planted the tank with Java Moss which they kept very clean. I also regularly added a couple T. cattapa leaves.
They did well for two years but then the power head failed and I lost all my specimens.
I consider them to be black water fish which must have high dissolved O2 levels.
I kept mine at about 80*F.
I kept them with about 16 Black Darter Tetras, Poeciliocharax weitzmanni, another demanding black water species.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
James0816

Post by James0816 »

Great info indeed. In my research, I found somewhere that it was mentioned to keep the water crystal clear. I'm wondering now if that was to encourage better aglae growth. I'll try to dig that up again. I believe I originally found it on a German forum.

The Nanno's and Paro's are two different species. It's also mentioned to keep the Paro's in the same conditions as the Nanno's. If it's blackwater, that is soooo much better for all parties. I love the look of tannins and provides a more natural element.

Seems the common ground I found on both species where the higher temps (around 80), lower pH ( < 7) and lots of O2. It almost reminds me of a Hillstream environment except the higher temps. Wonder how well they would do in the same tanks?
The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One »

Nannoptopoma is no longer a valid genus. All Nannoptopoma belong in Hypoptopoma. The clog will be changed at some point. The fish in this thread are not Hypoptopoma or Parotocinclus IMO, they probably belong to an undescribed genus.
James0816

Post by James0816 »

The.Dark.One wrote:Nannoptopoma is no longer a valid genus. All Nannoptopoma belong in Hypoptopoma. The clog will be changed at some point. The fish in this thread are not Hypoptopoma or Parotocinclus IMO, they probably belong to an undescribed genus.
Curious....why do you mention that these fishies are not Parotocinclus?
Acanthicus

Post by Acanthicus »

The.Dark.One wrote: The fish in this thread are not Hypoptopoma or Parotocinclus IMO, they probably belong to an undescribed genus.
Like I already said:
There is somebody who is working on the description of a new genus for the Parotocinclus longirostris - group. Means: P. eppleyi, P. aripuanensis, P. britskii, some undescribed species and P. longirostris itself of course.
It´s obvious that these fish are no Parotocinclus sensu stricto and belong to antother genus.
Daniel
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

Does anyone feel that a tank kept at 74-76 would pose a risk to this fish?
apistomaster
I've donated: $90.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Location 1: Clarkston, WA, USA
Location 2: Clarkston, WA, USA
Interests: Aquaculture and flyfishing

Post by apistomaster »

I recommend a range between 76*F and 82*F.
Avid Trout fly fisherman. ·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

I just retread all the message from Anubis designs yahoo group and Mark (the importer/seller) has been keeping them in the low to mid 70's with no losses at all. Seems better the lower the temp can be for o2 reasons.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

Larry I think I was constructing my post as you submitted yours. Just didn't want you to think I Was trying to dispute your post. ;)

The tank I have is the temp of my office building which in the summer the tank is right around 80 and in the winter/now 74-76.
James0816

Post by James0816 »

I would recommend 76 as the low end as well. Not sure what impact lower temps would have on them.

All the renaming and reclassing can get so confusing at times. I just recently read that one of the shrimp species I've been working with was renamed as well.

Well, until a new class is released, I will still consider these guys as Parotcinclus sp. 'Peru'. And if they are any thing like Nannoptopoma sp. 'Peru' (or whatever their new name will be), it will be a nice tank.

And while I was driving to the post office today, I got to thinking about the clear water requirement. I may have confused that with the Stiphodon's. I've been doing a ton of research on them of late as well. My river tank was originally set up for them and then the Nanno's finally showed up and now the Paro's.

Now all I have to do is track down Otocinclus Flexilis and Mimulus and my list will be complete.
The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One »

Acanthicus wrote:
The.Dark.One wrote: The fish in this thread are not Hypoptopoma or Parotocinclus IMO, they probably belong to an undescribed genus.
Like I already said:
It´s obvious that these fish are no Parotocinclus sensu stricto and belong to antother genus.
I was replying to the post by apistomaster.

And I too had already said - on 11 January 2012

Return to “What is my catfish?”