Diseases to humans.

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
magnum4
Location 1: UK wirral
Interests: all things aquatic.

Diseases to humans.

Post by magnum4 »

This question is aimed at all of you who are out there collecting you catfish yourselves. There has been talk latley about trips of this nature and i've just read a good book which disscusses such travles; Last chance to see by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine. (not many fish though apart from the Baiji dolphin)

My question is which diseases do humans stand a chance to catch, have any of you stories which you would rather not share?
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

You mean diseases you catch as a result of field work? I've suffered food poisoning and have been stung, but thankfully have not caught any diseases from fieldwork (of course, it's possible that I might have melioidosis-causing bacteria lying dormant inside of me, but that's something I don't want to think about).
Might catch a dose of chloroquine-resistant malaria this December if my luck is bad, since I'll be heading to an area where it's endemic.
magnum4

Post by magnum4 »

No bilharzia thats good just possible;
chloroquine-resistant malaria
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Two other things that I seem to collect are tropical ailments and innoculations. Lots of food poisoning. Salmonella once (that was bad, two weeks in the hospital), but the absolute worse was Dengue Fever. The Denegue, known as Breakbone Fever in English, had me down for a month and it was about another 45 days before I was fully recovered. HH has had Dengue twice I believe. If a US Government employee gets Dengue twice, they are not allowed to work in the tropics any longer. There are four strains of Dengue and one is hemorrhagic causing you to bleed to death through your eyes, nose, and ears if you do not get a blood transfusion. Once you have had Dengue twice, your chances are 50/50 that it will be hemorhagic the third time.
The thing is that there are more undescribed tropical parasites and bacteria than undescribed fishes. Most of the time you will never know what you had. Just pass the rum and cipro! Joking aside, I am home to write this, vice at work, as I am currently fighting off a nasty amoeba I picked up somewhere. I do want to state these maladies were all from living in the tropics and not directly from collecting fishes. I can not think of a specific disease that I ever contracted from collecting. Oh yeah, I had a spider bite me on the ass as I was sleeping in my hammock one time in the Venezuelan llanos. Swelled up like a golf ball. I guess that was not directly related to collecting either.
-Shane
Maybe Jools will read this and post his St. Paddys Day feet shot from Venezuela. I love that photo. I know it is on the forum somewhere...
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Actually, I cannot remember whether I had dengue twice or thrice. Sure hope it's not the latter, as it'll mean the next time I get it, it'll definitely be hemorrhagic.
One thing I'm glad I'm not is a herpetologist. Scientists working on snakes have died from being bitten by venomous snakes they were collecting, the most well-known recent case being that of Joe Slowinski.
JohnnyOscar
Location 1: London, UK

Post by JohnnyOscar »

I caught a rare strongiloides species in Aceh, possibly from the orangutans I was trailing. Also amoebic dysentry (several times), possible dengue fever and various low fevers.

I've also had some stupidly close encounters with wild animals while crawling through the bush on my hands and knees, including tigers (often), bears :shock:, pigs, pig-tailed macaques :evil:, orangutans, various snakes and seriously poisonous caterpillars. It keeps things interesting.
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 16
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

Methinks maybe my definition of interesting and yours differs a wee bit! To me, a tank full of cichlids, plecos, or synos, are interesting. Fevers and other maladies just aren't going to be listed in the same category!

Hopefully you'll feel better soon Shane. That sounds like the pits.

Any chance of you just skipping the third or more time HH?

Barbie
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

Any chance of you just skipping the third or more time HH?
Sure, if I move to more temperate climes permanently and stop doing field work altogether. ;)
But that'd be like asking me to chop off an arm or something (actually given the two to choose, I'd opt for the latter anytiime). ;)
There's no way I'm afraid. Short of making myself mosquito-proof (since you never which of the mosquitoes biting you is carrying the disease).
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

yikes, many unpleasant things... anyone ever cursed with a botfly? I saw a particularly unpleasant picture of one the other day... being removed from the tissue just under the eye of a child... ick.
JohnnyOscar
Location 1: London, UK

Post by JohnnyOscar »

Silurus wrote:
Short of making myself mosquito-proof.
Have you ever heard of the old pawangs' trick of eating young papaya leaves and flowers every day? The leaves taste horrible, but are supposed to make your skin taste nasty to mosquitos. I also I heard (western) people swear by vitamin supplements. I think it is one of the B vitamins, but don't quote me on that.
ClayT101
Location 1: Baton Rouge, LA
Interests: Plecos, Pro Wrestling, Football (Pro & College)

Post by ClayT101 »

All I know is if you are in the Amazon, don't urinate underwater (especially if you are a guy). Not a disease, but painfull non the less :)
It's True! It's True!

Southeast Louisiana Aquarium Society: http://www.selas.us
magnum4

Post by magnum4 »

clay you stand just as much chance of being a victim of that which i can not speeak of regardless of sex!

ps why did you have to lower the tone bringing that up i'm gonna have nightmares now!
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

You can both rest easy. The myth of the Candiru is just that, an old wives tale to scare Gringos. Read Stephen Spotte's "Candiru: Life and Legend of the Bloodsucking Catfishes." A very poor scientific work because he started out with the thesis that Candiru attack people and then went about trying to prove it. Even he admitted that all of his experiments were failures and the only SINGLE case of a Doctor treating a Candiru patient that he found was clearly bogus. Spotte's witness would have us believe that a guy was urinating from the riverbank and the catfish swam up the man's urine stream and into his penis. If you believe that tall tale, I have some beautiful ocean front property in Arizona for sale. I used to ask the natives about this legend everywhere I went, but stopped because I got tired of them laughing at me and saying, "Damn, where the hell do you gringos get such stupid ideas."
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
magnum4

Post by magnum4 »

The rumer i read appart from that one shane. I think there is a link to this story from PC.
the one were a scientist put candiru next to a cut on his arm and it went straight into his vain. :lol:

Don't no about you but i still wouldn't piss in those waters wouldn't like to be the first. :shock:
Silurus

Post by Silurus »

This is the only single recent case reported.
The chance of this happening is still as rare as hen's teeth.
S. Allen
Location 1: Colorado Springs, USA
Interests: Fish: catfish, discus, stingrays. Alcohol: Vodka, Gin, Rum, Beer, Cider. Tobacco: cigars, pipe, hookah/shisha. Dogs, Literature, Music

Post by S. Allen »

actually, the discovery channel runs a show on parasites every few months, I've seen it twice now, but it does have a substantiated case of a candiru wangal attack... more recent then the book you mentioned and I believe they've got the specimen preserved somewhere.... Not sure where you'd find all the info on the show though.
Shane
Expert

Post by Shane »

HH,
That is the same case Spotte cites. I want to meet the ichthyologist that can duplicate the experiment and show a Trichtomycterid swim up out of the water and through a urine stream! Anyone else disturbed by the fact that it plays "Dust In The Wind" while you look at the photos?
-Shane
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 946
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 448
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re:

Post by Jools »

Shane wrote:Maybe Jools will read this and post his St. Paddys Day feet shot from Venezuela. I love that photo. I know it is on the forum somewhere...
http://www.dignall.com/gallery/v/jools/ ... G.jpg.html

Jools
grokefish
My images: 3
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 1: The Vandart Aquarium South Wales
Interests: Life the universe and everything

Re: Diseases to humans.

Post by grokefish »

Ouch!
One more bucket of water and the farce is complete.
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Lesson being, don't drink Guinness bare footed in the Llanos.

Solution was to stand in a bowl of vinegar. Certainly stopped the itching.

Jools
exasperatus2002
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:4)
Spotted: 13
Location 2: allentown PA

Re: Re:

Post by exasperatus2002 »

Jools wrote:
Shane wrote:Maybe Jools will read this and post his St. Paddys Day feet shot from Venezuela. I love that photo. I know it is on the forum somewhere...
http://www.dignall.com/gallery/v/jools/ ... G.jpg.html

Jools
New movie....When mosquito's attack!!! Starring Jools.
andywoolloo
I've donated: $100.00!
My cats species list: 12 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
Location 2: Sanger, California

Post by andywoolloo »

ouch! was that from fire ants?
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Well, if I knew what it was, I'd not have let them do it! :-)

Jools
Viktor Jarikov
My images: 11
My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Naples, FL

Post by Viktor Jarikov »

It took 8 years, Jools, but you have made it! :)

I've recently posted a related question about leptospirosis bacteria to Shane's thread. See post #13 here http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 26&t=31849

...which sounds like a day in the park vs. Dengue fever... though it does kill 1% (?) of those who get it.
Thebiggerthebetter
fish-story.com

Return to “Speak Easy”