Chaetostoma aff. Milesi?

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Amneris3
My cats species list: 2 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:33)
Location 2: United States

Chaetostoma aff. Milesi?

Post by Amneris3 »

Could I get a positive ID please? Bought 3 of these as "rubber lip" plecos.

I had them in 3 separate tanks, but decided to move them all into one. They seem very territorially aggressive towards one another, which according to the Cat-eLog is to be expected. Lot's of bumping, body slamming and chasing. Does anyone know if this behavior will die down? As I write, they have only been together about 10-15 minutes.

Would also like to know if anyone has experience with adult length and growth rate? Cat-eLog says 4.7", so hoping they stay under that. Small size and voracious algae appetite is why I bought them.

Smallest is not quite 2", larger 2 are about 2". Is it too early to determine gender? Had a look at their pelvic fins and based on that, all appear female.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_2902.JPG
IMG_2903.jpg
IMG_2904.JPG
Mountain
My cats species list: 14 (i:10, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Berlin, Germany
Interests: Aquarium, Guitar, Fotography etc.

Re: Chaetostoma aff. Milesi?

Post by Mountain »

Amneris3 wrote: I had them in 3 separate tanks, but decided to move them all into one. They seem very territorially aggressive towards one another, which according to the Cat-eLog is to be expected. Lot's of bumping, body slamming and chasing. Does anyone know if this behavior will die down? As I write, they have only been together about 10-15 minutes.
Yes, this will end. They need their "caves" under flat stones and if the aquarium is not a small one they'll soon have their individuel districts there.
Would also like to know if anyone has experience with adult length and growth rate? Cat-eLog says 4.7", so hoping they stay under that. Small size and voracious algae appetite is why I bought them.
Here they are about 7 to 8 cm.
Thanks!
B W
Klaus
Amneris3
My cats species list: 2 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:33)
Location 2: United States

Post by Amneris3 »

Thanks for your response!

Does the ID seem correct?
Mountain
My cats species list: 14 (i:10, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:0)
Spotted: 2
Location 2: Berlin, Germany
Interests: Aquarium, Guitar, Fotography etc.

Post by Mountain »

Amneris3 wrote: Does the ID seem correct?
This should be decided from others here... :-)
B W
Klaus
Durlänger
Location 1: near Biel/Bienne
Location 2: helvetia

Post by Durlänger »

Yes, Chaetostoma aff. milesi or also called Chaetostoma cf. milesi
is the nearest match looking at "planetcatfish" and "Back to Nature Handbuch für L-Welse"

@Jools and other moderators, Question: Compareing those two sources, why is "Villavicencio I", which is not the asked fish, on planetcatfish include in Chaetostoma aff. milesi, for me it looks more like a variety (bigger dots on the snout) or even a other species :-?? or did you put simply all nearby C. milesi in C. aff. milesi?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

There is only one "gray with black spots" Chaetostoma sp shipped from the area around Villavicencio, so it stands to reason that Ingo's "Villavicencio I" is the same fish listed here as aff. milesi. I think the differences you noted are just individual variation within the sp., but with only a single photo in Ingo's book for comparison it is impossible to say for sure either way.

This is one of the few cases where using the L number makes good sense as the real milesi is from a completely different drainage than this fish.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Shane wrote:This is one of the few cases where using the L number makes good sense as the real milesi is from a completely different drainage than this fish.
I agree, however for some reason it is more often sold as C. milesi than the L-number. Maybe that's just because it is a relatively new l-number. Also, having it affiliated to C. milesi means that folks (and search engines) searching the site for the keyword "milesi" will find a "no picture or keepers" species entry (C. milesi) AND a "lots of pictures and keepers" entry (C. aff. milesi) entry and hopefully select the right one. We lose that if I change it to just C. sp. L445.

Jools
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Makes sense Jools as the point is really to align the hobbyist with the info they need in the best way possible.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Durlänger
Location 1: near Biel/Bienne
Location 2: helvetia

Post by Durlänger »

Agree, makes sense.

What about separating the pics a bit;
if you move the mouse over the little pics they al say "Chaetostoma aff. milesi", if you look at the big pics they all say "Common Name(s) L445, Spotted Bulldog Pleco, Black Spotted Bulldog Pleco, Spotted Rubbernose Pleco, Villavicencio I",
is it technical possible the change this to for example this http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/ima ... ge_id=2504 to little pic "Chaetostoma aff. milesi - Villavicencio I" big pic "Common Name(s) L445, Spotted Bulldog Pleco, Black Spotted Bulldog Pleco, Spotted Rubbernose Pleco, Villavicencio I" or would that give attachment-problems for the side?

As we are offtopic maybe move this part to Site Suggestions and Bugs :- Naming it more general: "Seperation inside Cat-eLog Data Sheet for variations of the same (or not 100% clear if it is the same) species" b-)

Return to “What is my catfish?”