how much room is needed

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Reprisal
Location 1: sydney

how much room is needed

Post by Reprisal »

well recently i just bought another bristlenose a male
so i have a pair right now in a 40 gallon tank
is that enuff room to house the pair?
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

It depends on the species. Most pairs are happy, and will spawn, in a ten gallon tank. For larger species a 15-20 gallon tank should be fine. That said, bigger is better and 40 gallons is probably about ideal for a pair.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
hazard
Location 1: Wi
Interests: fish

Post by hazard »

I have 4 pairs of bristlenose plecos in a 10g. They are spawning all of the time now and there is no aggression that I have seen. I have moved them a few time and this setup seems to work the best for me.

Good luck
Chris
The plecos are calling!!!
Barbie
Expert
I've donated: $360.00!
My articles: 1
My images: 15
My catfish: 2
My cats species list: 58 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 8
Location 1: Spokane, WA
Location 2: USA

Post by Barbie »

I'm assuming you mean a pair each in 4 ten gallons, not 8 4 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank...

I initially spawned my bristlenose in a 10 gallon tank, but found that its far too difficult to maintain optimum water quality for fast growth rates, even with moving the pairs with every spawn. The fry just need too much food for the water volume to handle, IMO. I use 20 gallon long tanks for my breeders now, and I remove all but 1 spawn from the tank to grow out at a time. It takes them about 3 months to reach 1.5" TL this way. Otherwise they can be quite slow growing, IME.

In a 40 gallon tank you could raise two or three spawns at a time with just a couple 50% water changes a week, without a problem, I think. I usually give any tank with ancistrus fry in it a 70-80% change twice a week. It does seem to make a noticable difference.

Hope that helps :)

Barbie

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”