albino adonis pleco?.....

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Location 1: ca.
Interests: tropical fish

albino adonis pleco?.....

Post by 2121 »

anybody seen an albino adonis pleco?....i have it on me peruvian pricelist and worth $1,200.00
i do not know if i should import it or not he only have 1 pieces. :roll:
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

More than likely, it was a single mutation that happened to show up in the catch. I've never heard of an albino Acanthicus of any sort.

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:8, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

pl*co_breeder wrote:Hello,

More than likely, it was a single mutation that happened to show up in the catch. I've never heard of an albino Acanthicus of any sort.

Larry Vires
Nah, these turn up from time to time. Always as small juveniles, always imported from SA. I guess someone has access to large numbers of young fish either near to spawning sites or is captive breeding them.

Pictures in the cat-elog under .

Jools
Location 1: ca.
Interests: tropical fish

Post by 2121 »

so do you think it is worth importing it?..or that price is way up there.how much do you think would somebody pay for this kind of specimen?... :lol:
pleco_breeder
My articles: 2
My cats species list: 17 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Arizona
Interests: breeding plecos and corys

Post by pleco_breeder »

I just checked the elog. Wheres a drool emoticon when you need one? Very cool fish. The bright white spots on an albino is quite surprising. I guess I got further out of the loop than I realized.

Larry Vires
Impossible only means that somebody hasn't done it correctly yet.
Walter
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vienna, Austria
Location 2: Vienna, Austria

Post by Walter »

Hi,
Jools wrote: Nah, these turn up from time to time. Always as small juveniles, always imported from SA. I guess someone has access to large numbers of young fish either near to spawning sites or is captive breeding them.
I heared of collecting/buying the clutches and hatching and raising the fry in tanks by the exporteurs. That´s the reason for the big number of baby Acanthicus adonis of equal length offered in European aquaristic shops in these days?
lizardking
Location 1: Singapore
Interests: Aquarium Lover

Post by lizardking »

Yeah, one of the lfs here in Singapore had lots and lots of juveniles adonis but sadly I haven't really seen an albino live specimen in Singapore. On of the importer show me the price list for the albino adonis and I almost fainted! :shock: :shock: :shock: But its a really stunning fellow isn't it..... :wink:
Last edited by lizardking on 25 Dec 2003, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Jools and Walter are correct. Collectors hate this fish as a specimen of any size can destroy a perfectly good net. I suspect that in some areas, collectors are collecting the very young fry from the spawning holes or specific areas where the fry gather to feed and bringing them in to collecting stations. This would also explain why the naturally occuring albinos, that would normally be eaten by the first passing Pimelodid, are surviving and being sold at high prices.
BTW, this fish has a bad reputation and collectors were surprised I was fascinated by it. They are most abundant near human habitations where they are considered garbage eating fish. Because of this reputation, I have never seen one in the cooking pot despite the fact that they grow big and are abundant near human settlements.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Walter
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vienna, Austria
Location 2: Vienna, Austria

Post by Walter »

Hi,
it´s a shame. That´s also the reason for the very cheap price of A. adonis these days, 10 to 20 � per baby specimen.
They are even sold cheaper, if you buy three specimen by a well known catfish dealer in Germany. But who has a hudge tank for three specimen of Acanticus adonis?
The old story, similar to Hypostomus and Gylptoperichthys :(

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”