RO unit

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
Kotty
Location 1: London, UK
Interests: Fishkeeping

RO unit

Post by Kotty »

Ive looked through the site and still dont know the answer to a couple of my q's

I was thinking of buying an RO unit

My ph is 7.5 and water is very hard (london, uk)

Ive had a go at breeding corys but had no luck and understand they like softer water.

So should I

- buy RO water from the LFS for my small breeding tank
- buy a Unit and use the water on my community setup as well

I know that RO water needs adding to before using and wastes a lot.

Does RO water benefit plants?. I can keep things like hornwort, vallises, anubis but really struggle with anything like amazon swords or big leafy plants - will soft water help here?

Thanks

Kotty
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Post by Shane »

Kotty,
There are nice advantages to having an RO system and a number of disadvantages. By disadvantges I mean that if you do not have a dedicated fishroom where you can plumb the RO unit to a holding tank, you will find that it is a lot of work to start making RO water every week in the kitchen sink. My suggestion, if what you are really after is breeding Corys, is to just buy RO water at your grocery store. It costs less than a dollar a gallon and in a small 7-10 gallon breeding tank you only need about 4 gallons to get the fish spawning. Keep 2-3 gallon in the fridge over night to cool them, do a water change, and presto. With more difficult fish you may have to this once a week for a couple of weeks or do 2 gallons per day water changes over a week or so. Just make sure that after the spawn, you adjust the water back slowly with water changes of 1/2 RO and 1/2 tap water, then 1/3 RO 2/3 tap, etc. until the water chemistry is pretty much back to normal.
-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey

Return to “Tank Talk”