sutable catfish?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of catfishes from Africa.
Adam_J
Location 1: United Kingdom
Interests: Aikido, cycling, Malawi cichlids

sutable catfish?

Post by Adam_J »

Hi, my name is Adam. I have a 400l tank (105.5 gallon) with 6 Labidochromis caeruleus 4 juvinle haplochromis venustus and 2 young upside down catfish. Substrait is crushed coral sand, and I have large white holey ocean rock, and live plants. I dont mind the plants being chewed a bit. Are there any sutable catfish to go in there? Adam. :?:
plesner
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 12
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by plesner »

Lots of different kinds of catfish could go into that tank except for one thing: If we're talking about the same thing, crushed coral sand is way to sharp for the barbels of most catfish.
plesner
Adam_J

Post by Adam_J »

mabee it isnt CRUSHED coral sand then, because it loods fairly smooth and fine and I cant see anything sharp. I could just be coral sand. Could you list a few fish for this? Thanks, Adam.
plesner
I've donated: $30.00!
My images: 12
Spotted: 3
Location 1: Copenhagen, Denmark

Post by plesner »

In that case, quite a few species of Synodontis would do nicely. S. petricola and S. multipunctatus would in my mind be good choices. I'm sure other people can add to the list.
plesner
Adam_J

Post by Adam_J »

Thank you for your help
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

There are already 2 syno's in your tank, described as "upsidedown"catfish.....

if these are THE upsidedowncat (Synodontis nigriventris), you'd better find another home for them....

They will not last very long, as they're soft water fish that need a neutral to slightly acidic pH, and not compatible with many cichlids either.

In a planted tank with a few nice fish like Nanochromis or Pelvicachromis, this is a fine suitable catfish. Not in a Malawi tank.

As already suggested; the more easily keepable Tanganyika Synodontis are very nice for your tank. Unlike most riverine Syno's (such as the Upsidedowner), they're more or less diurnal, especially if you keep them in groups, not pairs. 4-6 fish of a single species will do fine.

And -let's not forget!- Syno's from both Tanganyika and Malawi are "used" to cichlids! and thus less likely to be terrorized by them.

My choice for that tank would be Synodontis njassee, but this one is often hard to get by. It's THE Malawi Syno, and your tank is quite big enough for this gracile 8" cat. It's a grouper like its' cousins from lake Tang.

I take it, you ARE aware of the adult size of Nimbochromis venustus and its' voracious appetite? 10" for a healthy male and about 8"for a female. In your tank you'll find out that only a single adult male and 3-5 females can be kept. Apart from that, it's a very easy to maintain Malawian, and it'll breed like a rabbit!
Valar Morghulis
Adam_J

Post by Adam_J »

Yeah, lol, I do know about the adult size for the nimbochromis, as soon as they mature and get to a decent size, I will take 2 back, hopefully leaving a male and female. Also, so far, the upside down catfish seem to be doing fine. However, if you think that I should take them back, then I will concider it, but I havn't noticed any trouble for the past 3-4 weeks. Thanks again, Adam.
Electricmbunas
Location 1: Buffalo NY

Post by Electricmbunas »

syno. eupterus i dont know if spelling is correct there is often sold under upside down cat to thats what he could also have and as for the venstus i would recomedn getting mroe then 1 female in there the male will harass the only female if you do just 1you will need at leat 3 females
sidguppy
My articles: 1
My images: 28
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Adam, I strongly suggest to keep a GROUP of females or you will end up with a single male survivor!!

maternal mouthbrooders (all Malawians and others) are very rough on their females.....you'll need at least three.
Valar Morghulis
Adam_J

Post by Adam_J »

Ok, I can only hope that 3 are female and one is male lol, thanks. :)

Return to “African Catfishes”