New aqualog all l-numbers

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

What price is it retailing at?

Jools
Erwin
My articles: 1
My images: 6
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Augsburg, Germany
Interests: esp. cichlids, catfish

Post by Erwin »

If I got them right, it's 69 Euro, shipping fee within Europe should be about 7.10 Euro.

Erwin
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

:shock: That's around 50 pounds for the book alone!

Jools
domi
Location 1: Toronto

Post by domi »

[quote="Erwin"]If I got them right, it's 69 Euro, shipping fee within Europe should be about 7.10 Euro.[/quote]

Are you shipping to Canada ? Price ? CAN$ ?

Domi
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

There are two ways to ship the book oversea. The cheaper way is via ship and takes some weeks, the more expensive way is within a few days, but airfright is pretty expensive. I can try to find out how much it would cost, but please contact me off list.

Erwin
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

Erwin,

I presume amazon et al will be selling it, but do you know if the publisher has plans to sell it online? I have bought from animalbook.de before and it wasn't too bad (but I did have to translate the German). May I also say that despite the price, I do think this book is a great idea if for no reason than to "correct" the first book. It's MUCH cheaper than the first book if you include the stickers!

Jools
Walter
My cats species list: 38 (i:0, k:0)
Location 1: Vienna, Austria
Location 2: Vienna, Austria

Post by Walter »

Hi,
Jools wrote: It's MUCH cheaper than the first book if you include the stickers!

Jools
anyway, it´s very expensive. Nearly as expensive as the "Das Gro�e Buch der Welse".
(Nevertheless I´ve bought the Aqualog already).
Many of the new book are unbelievable expensive now, if you compare them to elder editions.
Don´t know, how the publishing houses are calculating...
BTW: the new "Datz Lexikon" (two volumes) will cost 149 â?¬ :(

Some years ago I thought, books for about 50 â?¬ (or 100 DM) would be very expensive, times change... :(
Mika
Location 1: Helsinki,Finland

Post by Mika »

BTW: the new "Datz Lexikon" (two volumes) will cost 149 ?
What`s that?
Well i wish i was a catfish
swimmin in a oh, deep, blue sea (Muddy Waters, Catfish blues)
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Hi Jools, and others,

I am also forewarding interested people to animalbook.de (http://www.animalbook.de), because they are familiar with the procedere how to ship books. I think they have somewhere a button on their page where you can switch to English(?). But also the book can be ordered via amazon, you might need the ISBN-no, because the book might be to new and is not listed there yet?

ISBN is: 3-936027-51-X

Why are books today so expensive? Well, the main reason is, that nobody today buys a book with black and white pictures and line-drawings only, or with color-photographs concentrated on some pages, while the rest is printed in black&white. The print-paper is today of much better quality, and so is the quality of the prints also. You can notice this also in the new L-number book, the print quality is better as in any other aqualog before. Another problem are the mailing costs which are dramatically more as some ten years ago.

About the Ulmer-Lexicon, this book is not out yet. I made parts on the Malawi- and Victoria-C ichlids in it, so I got informations that it should be out sometime in april or may this year. It is a book covering all aspects of aquaristic. I don't know about its catfish part, but probably it will not cover all the L-numbers. But DATZ is planning also for april or so an extra-issue celebrating 15 years L-numbers.

Erwin
sidguppy
My images: 29
My aquaria list: 5 (i:0)
Spotted: 9
Location 1: Southern Netherlands near Belgium
Location 2: Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Hi Erwin
you're obviously on top of things, and German too...

Perhaps you've heard about the Mergus Wels Atlas?
part 2; containg all the Lnumbers (Ancistrinae) should have been out in 2003, but....

Mergus is quite slow on issuing a book, or?
have heard anything about it, perhaps?
Valar Morghulis
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hi Sidguppy,
Mergus "Welsatlas 2" should appear to Interzoo in spring 2004. But, as it happened with Welsatlas 1 too, it´s not for sure ;) (f.e. coauthor H-G. Evers told me in September 2001, that "Welsatlas 1" will appear before Christmas for sure. Finally it appeared in May 2002. First date for edition should have been spring 2001).
Delays are normal, but the year 2004 is "for sure".
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hi Mika,
Mika wrote:
BTW: the new "Datz Lexikon" (two volumes) will cost 149 ?
What`s that?
here´s the link:
http://www.ulmer.de/cms/artikel.dll/Zei ... D1423F6E85

You can see, also a large delay, no the website is announced appearing on 13. Oct. 2003, hopefully it will appear to Interzoo in spring 2004.[/url]
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I split this topic off from the original post in Taxonomy news as it was wandering somewhat.

Jools
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

The informations which Walter posted are also the ones I have. But if Vol.2 of the Wels Atlas will really be out at the Interzoo, is not for 100% sure. Lately there is also some politics behind these announcements. Because if one editors says his book will be out only a short time after the book on the same subject made by another editor, people will wait for the second book and see what is better. But if it takes too long, they buy the first one, and probably not the second one too.

Erwin
Caol_ila
My images: 53
Spotted: 23
Location 1: Mainz, Germany

Post by Caol_ila »

But if it takes too long, they buy the first one, and probably not the second one too.
the whole thing doesnt seem to be very clever marketing wise! Or dyou think there is a need for 3 Lnumber books within a few months?
For a poor student like me only the DATZ Sonderheft (ETA March) is affordable at 25 euros. But with lots of high priced Lnumbers out there maybe the consumers are ones with bigger wallets?

greets
Christian
cheers
Christian
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Or dyou think there is a need for 3 Lnumber books within a few months?
Hear, hear! Loricariids aren't the be all and end all of catfish.
I would rather see the effort and money spread out to cover other catfish groups.
Dinyar
My articles: 3
My images: 228
My catfish: 10
My cats species list: 3 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 94
Location 1: New York, NY, USA
Interests: Mochokidae, Claroteidae, Bagridae, Malepteruridae, Chacidae, Heteropneustidae, Clariidae, Sisoridae, Loricariiadae

Post by Dinyar »

This is the one of the main reasons we stay away from L numbers. To me, L numbers mostly mean big $ numbers.

There are so many hidden gems among catfishes. This hobby should be about discovering what others have not yet found, not about making fashion statements.

Dinyar
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

When the whole thing with L-numbers started, nobody could know that it will become a "self-running process". Already before we had in the aquaristic the attempt to introduce newly discovered fish with numbers. When I was a boy there was for instance a fish called "U-2" (a raffael catfish), but all these attempts stopped soon. Only L-numbers became so popular (even over here in Germany C-numbers for Corydoras are much less public).

In Malawi-C ichlids, which are also several hundred new "species", we have trade-names. And I think it was a pretty good idea to use L-numbers for Loricariids, because we have world-wide one popular "name/number" for a fish, and not dozends of trivial-names.

Indeed have the numbers to do with making money. A greyish colored Loricariid catfish is hard to sell until it has a L-number.

Erwin
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi!

Ok these are the date for the German written Wels Atlas but what about the english written atlas??
Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Another question, is the first Vol. already translated?

Erwin
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

If you go to the Mergus website, they say it's a work in progress and available in 2004.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hi,
Caol_ila wrote: For a poor student like me only the DATZ Sonderheft (ETA March) is affordable at 25 euros. But with lots of high priced Lnumbers out there maybe the consumers are ones with bigger wallets?
I wouldn´t call the "Welsatlas" high priced, 39 � for volume one, it´s worth the money easily.
And it´s no sense lamenting, there are more than enought possibilities to earn money also for a "poor" student ;)
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

Walter, you are right, when I was a student, I really had more money to spend on things which I thought to be nessessary. This has changed. Today I make more money as that time. It must be, that I am not student any more, or what do you think is the reason for my poorness ;-)

Erwin
Walter

Post by Walter »

I don´t know, Erwin.
It´s similar with me. Today I don´t have enough money, when I was a student, I always had money... (not from my parents, only to be said... ;) ).
Maybe life get´s more expensive, the older you get... (or the claims rise...).
Jools
Expert

Post by Jools »

I find some of the comment above amusing. I mean, thank God it's not another Cory book. Not that I have anything against keeping corys (I have lots), but do we need more books on them in the next few years?

The fact remains that the only english language l-number book available is the photo rich, information poor and accuracy retarded aqualog 1.

Jools
Erwin

Post by Erwin »

A new Cory-book? Hmh, thanks for the idea :lol:

Erwin
sidguppy
Interests: African catfishes and oddballs, Madagascar cichlids; stoner doom and heavy rock; old school choppers and riding them, fantasy novels, travelling and diving in the tropics and all things nature.

Post by sidguppy »

Lately there is also some politics behind these announcements. Because if one editors says his book will be out only a short time after the book on the same subject made by another editor, people will wait for the second book and see what is better.
#########!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Bl$$dy politics.....

I bought Wels-Atlas 1, through the internet, expecting it to be an all kinds of catfish book.
pretty expensive too. However it turned out to be a Pleco-book, but without the Ancistrinae (L numbers).
needless to say, I was feeling quite ripped off. :(
BUT since I already spend an arm and a leg on getting 1, I want it to be complete.

Now this! Politics! the worst of the worst.
To rip of a genial signature from someone else:
"poly" means "many", and "tics" means "small bloodsucking critters"
says it all, I think

Anybody interested in two things?
-Welsatlas part 1
-joing me and a couple of wiseguys with access to holotypes and the rest: let's write a book about Synodontis, shall we?
Valar Morghulis
Yann
I've donated: $20.00!
My articles: 8
My images: 280
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:90)
Spotted: 108
Location 1: Switzerland
Location 2: Switzerland
Interests: Catfish mainly form South America, Cichlids, Geckos, Horses WWII airplanes, Orchids

Post by Yann »

Hi all!

Well don't be to sad guys... you still have more book than French speaking will ever have.
THere is one book in french talking about Loricariidae, the little Hobby book, same thing for Corydoras and finally the Back to Nature Catfish as general catfish book...
Strangely catfishes have very few fanatic like Charly and me in the French speaking world...

HH point is also good there is almost or no litterature regarding asian catfishes, this must be the most underlook region in catfish speaking...

The only thing that they need is just being under the light and I am sure it could change...
Also so little is known about them.... and most of the time they are being given a bad reputation at least for some of them...

Cheers
Yann
Don't Give Up, Don't Ever Give Up!
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hi,
sidguppy wrote:
I bought Wels-Atlas 1, through the internet, expecting it to be an all kinds of catfish book.
pretty expensive too. However it turned out to be a pl*co-book, but without the Ancistrinae (L numbers).
needless to say, I was feeling quite ripped off. :(
but where did you get this imformation from???
It has been announced long time before appearing, that it will _not_ be a all kinds of catfish book, even not a all kind of loricariidae book.
But only the first common parts, e.g. the parts about the habitats, is worth the price.
What price did you pay for it? Here it costs 39 â?¬.
sidguppy

Post by sidguppy »

I ordered it through the internet, when it was just about brandnew.
And the site from wich I ordered didn't give any info at all, save that it was an excellent new catfishbook from the makers of the famous Mergus-series...

I paid -with shipping and all- well beyond 50E.... :( :razz: :( :evil: :evil: :evil:
Valar Morghulis

Return to “Speak Easy”