Uprading to Larger Tank

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
SirHelm
Location 1: San Jose, CA USA

Uprading to Larger Tank

Post by SirHelm »

So. Did a quick circuit of the LFS today to see what the best deal I could get for a glass 55 gal tank. So far found a place which was selling a 55 gallon glass tank kit (hood, light, dual filter + cartridges, net, food) for 169.00 US. Is that a good deal?

Thanks

Sir Helm
vulkoq
Location 1: Northern California, USA
Interests: Guitar

what's the equipment, exactly?

Post by vulkoq »

$169 is cheap, but there may be stuff you have to replace. Maybe they'll upgrade the equipment for a little more $$ if it's substandard.
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Thanks.

I am gonna grab it while I can!

SH
vulkoq
Location 1: Northern California, USA
Interests: Guitar

starter kits' equipment

Post by vulkoq »

Some of the starter kit equipment I've seen around is pretty weak. If you are a shrewd negotiator, you can get them to throw in a better filter for a little more, and perhaps a two-bulb light if you want high-light plants.
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Well I started to look at used tanks and found a 55 gallon acrylic with heaters, powerhead, filter, cartrige, gravel, etc... and Pine Hood and Pine stand for 150.00.

I am calling to find more about it now. (How old, scratches, damage, algae, etc....)

SH
Rusty
Location 1: New York, NY
Interests: Mochokidae, Clariidae, Heteropneustidae, Malapteruridae, Chacidae, Cetopsidae, Bagridae, Amphilidae

Post by Rusty »

One thing to keep in mind about acyrlic tanks is that a pleco's teeth can scratch it :(
Try and go w/ glass if you can, and stay away from perfectos. The seem to be quite shoddy in their construction.
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Really? I did not know that! I heard that you can fix scratches in acrylic. is that true??

Thanks

SH
BobsUncle
Location 1: Victoria, B.C. Canada

Scratches in acrylic

Post by BobsUncle »

Yes, it is possible to remove scratches from acrylic...depending on depth. Bear in mind that removing scratches also involves removing thickness from the tank walls - not a good thing. As well, the areas that have been fixed will not be optically correct. Add to this the fact that the tank can only be polished when completely empty, and that your pl*cos will add new ones, it's not a good choice of tank.

However, if you really want acrylic, here's the scoop:
Very fine hazy scratches can be made somewhat better by (carefully!!) using a hair dryer to smooth them and then a product like Novus plastic polish. Slightly deeper ones can also be fixed using a coarser polish followed by the fine finishing compound. Don't even try to get a gouge out of the tank, it will be far too weak by the time you get it out, and it will look like a funhouse mirror. Bear in mind that the plastic polishes are very toxic to fish; only use it on an empty tank, and make sure you clean the tank very, very well after usage. Then clean it again for good measure. :wink:

Personally, I'd skip all the hassle and buy glass. :D
SirHelm

Post by SirHelm »

Well as things go... I have decided to go big.. or go home.. lol... I am now looking for a 90 or 100 gallon tank and stand! I have found some real beauties out there on the used market. However my budget is only 200.00 so i gotta be very very patient. Anyways, my question for the gurus is this.... I have a 25 gallon tank right now with established micro enviroment. My wife will not allow me to have both tanks going (when i get the new one), so my plan is to move everything to the new 90 or 100 gal when i get it. Will i still need to cycle the new tank or is there enough bacteria, etc... in the old stuff to do a straight move??

Thanks

Sir Helm

Return to “Tank Talk”