You think it won't happen

A members area where you can introduce yourself, discuss anything outwith catfish and generally get to know each other.
JamesFish
I've donated: $23.00!
Location 1: UK
Location 2: Kent
Interests: Fish, IT

You think it won't happen

Post by JamesFish »

Like most people with a tank that has a sand bottom I syphon it on a regular basis.

I have one Dwarf mothball catfish in the tank and I hadn't seen it for a while. Not unexpected as they don't tend to show up.

Several buckets later and still not seen and considering I am moving the remaining plants onto rocks or bog wood am starting to worry. Last bucket and draining out slowly into the loo. Caught a couple of snails I wanted to keep and then to my horror I see a shape swimming in the loo. Queue swearing and a quick panic on how to retrieve it. 1 empty king British algae wafer tub and some bailing out and water level down but can't get it in the tub. Lowered water some more and still no luck. Now stuck thinking what can I use. Answer kitchen roll and a glove. Into the bucket for the little catfish and drained some tank water in. Half hour later was still fine so put into a bag and floated back into the tank. Haven't seen him again since.

A rapid clean up, lots of bleach, soap and other cleaning on the bathroom and me so the Mrs does not kill me.

Does this sort of thing happen to anyone else? Or am I just crazy to go to that effort for a little catfish. Am thinking of draining through a mesh in future to avoid a repeat. I am keen to get more these catfish in future.
Shane
Expert
My articles: 69
My images: 161
My catfish: 75
My cats species list: 4 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:4)
Spotted: 99
Location 1: Tysons
Location 2: Virginia

Re: You think it won't happen

Post by Shane »

I have probably rescued a dozen fish from the toilet over the years. Happens to all of us. I now have clear plastic buckets. They help a lot.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 22746.html

-Shane
"My journey is at an end and the tale is told. The reader who has followed so faithfully and so far, they have the right to ask, what do I bring back? It can be summed up in three words. Concentrate upon Uganda."
Winston Churchill, My African Journey
Dave Rinaldo
I've donated: $601.00!
My images: 238
My cats species list: 64 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 97
Location 2: Austin, Texas

Post by Dave Rinaldo »

Different situation. I position my photo tank by the kitchen sink with a Gal plastic ice cream bucket with specimen(s) I'm planning to shoot in the sink. Forgot to have strainer in. This is the garbage disposal side. Fish jumps out of bucket and ends up in garbage disposal. Luckily my wife's hand fit and she was able to retrieve it!!
Contribute to Planet Catfish!

Use this Amazon.com link to benefit Planet Catfish!!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:38)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2674)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Egads.

I've lost a couple of albino BN fry down the drain when siphoning. Now I siphon into a bucket to avoid that and add a garden sprayer with screen insert to block fish from entering my garden hose siphon.

Regards, Eric
Attachments
8588392_ed001 (2).jpg
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Bas Pels
My images: 1
My cats species list: 28 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 7
Location 1: the Netherlands
Location 2: Nijmegen the Netherlands
Interests: Central American and Uruguayan fishes

Post by Bas Pels »

In tanks with small fish, I either siphon into a bucket, or use a glass jar to siphon from. Very few fishes go into that jar, so this does help me preventing siphoning fishes into the loo
cats have whiskers
MarcW
I've donated: $152.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 5 (i:3)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Post by MarcW »

I use a bulkhead screen on my syphon pipe, however its not great at getting debris from the bottom, I still use a regular hose for that and spend a few minutes inspecting the bucket before I tip it away!
Jools
Expert
My articles: 198
My images: 948
My catfish: 237
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:8, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 450
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I just converted the toilet (or bog, as we call it in Scotland) to a temperate biotope and get the family to pee in the garden. :-)

Seriously though, reminder to self to post the video of "lucky" the horse faced loach. He was some jumper....

Jools

Return to “Speak Easy”