Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:15 pm
- Location 1: Orange County
- Location 2: California, US
Hi...so, attached is a picture of Melvin. He lays on his side a lot, or props himself up against a log, resting on his fins. We know we must have bought him, but can't remember when. Or WHAT he is. He likes to pretend he is dying... he isn't. None of our other fish are sick, no signs of ick or bloat. Thanks for helping me figure out what type of fish he is!
- Melvin 2
- Posts: 7248
- Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:50 pm
- I've donated: $40.00!
- My articles: 4
- My images: 76
- My cats species list: 111 (i:37, k:46)
- My aquaria list: 29 (i:13)
- My BLogs: 36 (i:125, p:1867)
- My Wishlist: 39
- Spotted: 136
- Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
- Location 2: USA, California, Stockton
That fish is a suncat, Horabagrus brachysoma
It does look horribly unwell, but as you say, maybe this individual just likes to rest in unsettling positions.
Good luck with it.
- Posts: 4255
- Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:11 pm
- My images: 11
- My cats species list: 25 (i:0, k:0)
- Spotted: 4
- Location 1: Naples, FL
- Location 2: USA
- Interests: Big freshwater catfish and Co.
Interesting case. This is not how suncats are supposed to behave. If you will, provide more pics to check it out better and/or tell us more. Does it feed? If it has appetite, that means it is not doing too badly.