Hemiloricaria

Did you know fantastic help is an anagram of Planet Catfish? This forum is for those of you with pictures of your catfish who are looking for help identifying them. There are many here to help and a firm ID is the first step towards keeping your catfish in the best conditions.
Charly EON
My images: 53
My catfish: 23
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 59
Location 1: Bordeaux - FRANCE

Hemiloricaria

Post by Charly EON »

Hello

What are the key typical characteristics of the genus Hemiloricaria ?

Where can I find an updated genera identification key to sort out the Loricarinae ?

Thanks for the ones who will take some time to answer this (difficult ?) question.

Charly
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Charly

I am almost certain that the information your after can be found in the new book 'WELS ATLAS 1' by Hans-Georg Evers & Ingo Seidel, published by Mergus. At this time it is only availabe in German.

Ian
Achim
Location 1: Europe, Germany,federal state Hessen, Marburg, Lahn river.
Interests: south american catfish, catfish in general, ostariophysi in general.

Post by Achim »

Hi,
I am almost certain that the information your after can be found in the new book 'WELS ATLAS 1' by Hans-Georg Evers & Ingo Seidel
No :). The Welsatlas was finished long before the description of the genera Hemiloricaria, Leliella and Fonchiichthys.
You can find the description of these genera here:

Isbrücker, I. J. H. et al. 2002
Diagnose vierzehn neuer Gattungen der Familie Loricariidae Rafinesque, 1815 (Teleostei, Ostariophysi)
DATZ-Sonderheft Harnischwelse 2, Ulmer Verlag 72 S

The Genus Rineloricaria is split there into the genera Rineloricaria, Hemiloricaria, Leliella and Fonchiichthys. Unfortunatly the descriptions are very short and imo vague and i doubt they will survive a revision of the genus Rineloricaria.
What are the key typical characteristics of the genus Hemiloricaria ?
I don't have the time right now to translate it, i'll do it later if noone else does, ok? ;)
Where can I find an updated genera identification key to sort out the Loricarinae ?
There isn't one afaik.

Achim
Charly EON

Post by Charly EON »

Thanks for your answer Ian
Danke fur ihne Antwort Achim.

I'm interested to know how I can separate Rineloricria from Hemiloricaria.

Cheers/ Mfg

Charly
Achim
Location 1: Europe, Germany,federal state Hessen, Marburg, Lahn river.
Interests: south american catfish, catfish in general, ostariophysi in general.

Post by Achim »

Took a little longer, i had to finish a report, sorry:

The translation may sound a little odd, i tried to stay as close to the text as possible and my english is far from perfect:

"Hemiloricaria Bleeker, 1862.
Rediagnosis (Isbrücker): Hemiloricaria is distiguished by Rineloricaria; thereof the genus is distinguished as follows.
Hemiloricaira: pubescent males with hypertrophied Odontodes (as described and pictured for Rineloricaria lanceolata by Isbrücker 1973: 68-87, figure 3 and 4), firstly located between interorbital and predorsal region (thin, long and nearly straight)and secondly between the suborbital and the opercular region (closely bundled, long and very thin, slightly convoluted Odontodes and a line of less numerous, convoluted, spike-like Odontodes, that are four time shorter than the other Odontodes in that area) and thirdly are located on the pectorals (numerous upright, convoluted backwards, spike-like Odontodes)
All species are slim with the abdomen comletly covered by plates and usually with a filament like extension of the upper and lower not branched caudal ray.

***a species list follows***

Pubescent Rineloricaria males have hypertrophied Odontodes to be found firstly on the suborbital- and opercular-region (closely bundled, long and very thin, slightly convoluted Odontodes) and secondly on the pectoral (numerous quite small, upright, convoluted backwards and spike-like Odontodes).
A revision of the genus Rineloricaria appears very urgently required to me. The Abdomen of most (***Rineloricaria***) species is not completely covered with plates and the not branched rays of the caudal don't have any filament-like extensions."

So the differences between Rineloricaria and Hemiloricaria according to Isbrücker et al are:

1. Different Odontode pattern in adult males as described.
2. No filamentous extensions of the caudal fin spines in Rineloricaria vs. extensions in Hemiloricaria.
3. Abdomen in most Rineloricaria species not completely covered by plates vs. completely covered in Hemiloricaria.

The genera Leliella and Fonchiichthys belong in this group too, but i have to grab some sleep before i translate that :roll: .

Achim
Charly EON

Post by Charly EON »

Thanks for your great job !!

Return to “What is my catfish?”