Reappraisal of Rhamdia branneri and R. voulezi

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Reappraisal of Rhamdia branneri and R. voulezi

Post by Silurus »

Garavello, JC & OA Shibatta, 2016. Reappraisal of Rhamdia branneri Haseman, 1911 and R. voulezi Haseman, 1911 (Siluriformes: Heptapteridae) from the rio Iguaçu with notes on their morphometry and karyotype. Neotropical Ichthyology 14: e140111.

Abstract

The species Rhamdia branneri Haseman, 1911 and the subspecies Rhamdia branneri voulezi Haseman, 1911 from rio Iguaçu are currently recognized as synonyms of Rhamdia quelen (Quoy & Gaimard, 1824). However, recent karyotype and ecomorphology studies distinguish R. branneri and R. voulezi as different species. Examination of Rhamdia populations from rio Iguaçu, including type specimens, together with other congeners from rio Tibagi, allowed to properly reexamine the situation of these Haseman's taxa and references given to Rhamdia in the Iguaçu. The species R. branneri and R. voulezi have strong serrae with large basis on both margins of the pectoral-fin spine, uncommon in the remaining species of Rhamdia and different from the fine serrate margins of the pectoral spine of R. quelen; a regular dorsal profile, slightly curved between supraoccipital and dorsal fin; with dorsal dark-brown or light-gray coloration along body, abdomen pale, without profuse small black spots, common in populations of the upper Paraná species and the type-material of R. quelen. Also the following morphometric characters discriminate these species: Rhamdia voulezi, adipose fin elongate; smaller distance between dorsal and adipose fin; smaller length between adipose fin to base of caudal fin and smaller distance from posterior margin of eye to opercular border. Rhamdia branneri, larger distance from dorsal and adipose fins; deeper caudal peduncle; higher trunk depth in the vertical distance through adipose, between pelvic and anal fins; larger scapular bridge; shorter maxillary barbel; shorter external mental barbel; shorter interorbital distance; shorter length of dorsal fin basis and shorter adipose-fin base length. A PCA between the populations of Rhamdia from Iguaçu and a population from rio Tibagi, upper Paraná basin, discriminates the population from Tibagi on basis of dorsal to adipose fin distance, dorsal-fin spine length, maxillary barbel length, eye diameter, and pectoral-fin spine length. This morphometric study allied to the karyotype known differences suggest R. branneri and R. voulezi as valid species. The complex state of R. quelen with the neotype recently designated from rio Samiria recommend new studies on basis of molecular genetics and provision of the names R. branneri and R. voulezi in the Iguaçu basin.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”