New Parotocinclus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New Parotocinclus

Post by Silurus »

Silva-Junior, DE, TPA Ramos & AM Zanata, 2020. A new species of Parotocinclus with reduced adipose fin (Loricariidae: Hypoptopomatinae), from the rio Jacuípe basin, Bahia State, Brazil. Neotropical ichthyology 18:e190137.

Abstract

A new species of Parotocinclus, apparently endemic to the rio Jacuípe basin, Bahia State, Brazil, is described. The new species is distinguished from congeners, except P. bidentatus, P. cabessadecuia, P. dani, P. halbothi, P. muriaensis, P. pentakelis, P. seridoensis, and P. spilurus, by the presence of a reduced adipose fin. The new species differs from the aforementioned species by the absence of unicuspid accessory teeth, abdomen with broad naked areas between lateral and medial patches of plates, and snout tip completely covered by plates and odontodes. The adipose fin of the new species is restrict solely to the adipose-fin spine, lacking the adipose-fin membrane, a reduction pattern previously described to P. halbothi, a congener from rivers of the Amazonas and Marowijne basins.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”