Two new Trichomycterus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Two new Trichomycterus

Post by Silurus »

Costa, WJEM, JLO Mattos & AM Wertz, 2021. Two new catfish species from central Brazil comprising a new clade supported by molecular phylogeny and comparative osteology (Siluriformes: Trichomycteridae). Zoologischer Anzeiger doi:10.1016/j.jcz.2021.05.008

Abstract

The Trichomycterinae is a diversified catfish clade exhibiting numerous ecological specializations, thus offering fine opportunities for studies on vertebrate evolution, but insufficient knowledge on phylogenetic relationships and taxonomy impedes advanced evolutionary studies. Recent studies have contributed to a better taxonomical resolution of some trichomycterine groups, but several taxa remain poorly known, with taxonomical placement still undetermined. This study is directed to two similar undescribed species with unclear generic placement, collected in the savannahs of central Brazil, in the headwaters of the two most important South American river systems, the Amazon and Paraná basins central Brazil. A multigene phylogeny integrated to a comparative osteological analysis supports a clade, with the new species forming a subclade sister to a trichomycterine subclade endemic to southern South America. The comparative osteological analysis provided some characters from the jaw suspensorium, opercular series, branchial arches, neurocranium, and pectoral girdle that are useful to diagnose members of the clade. The two species may be distinguished by meristic data, morphometrics, osteology, and colour pattern. Following recent efforts for a better understanding about diversity and relationships of trichomycterines, the present study provides phylogenetic and morphological basis for the taxonomical resolution of this important trichomycterine clade. However, much more research is necessary to improve trichomycterine taxonomy, including further studies providing a proper generic classification encompassing the whole Trichomycterinae.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 943
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 446
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Re: Two new Trichomycterus

Post by Jools »

Thanks for posting HH. Any chance I could get a copy of the description or you could let me know at least the n spp. names?

Cheers,

Jools
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

Trichomycterus chapadensis and Trichomycterus jatobensis
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 943
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 446
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Many thanks,

Jools

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”