New Liobagrus

For the discussion of catfish systematics. Post here to draw our attention to new publications or to discuss existing works.
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 885
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 420
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

New Liobagrus

Post by Silurus »

Chen, Z-G, Y-S Guo, Y-T Dai, X-C Huang, J-H Huang, J Jiang, S Ouyang, A-X Wen & X-P Wu, 2024. A new species of Liobagrus Hilgendorf, 1878 (Teleostei, Siluriformes, Amblycipitidae) from the lower Changjiang River basin in southeast China. Zoosystematics and Evolution 100: 555–563.

Abstract

A new catfish species, Liobagrus chenhaojuni Chen, Guo & Wu, sp. nov., is described from the Tiaoxi River, a tributary of Taihu Lake, located in Zhejiang Province, China. This description is based on morphological characteristics and phylogenetic analysis. This species belongs to a group defined by the presence of a smooth posterior edge of the pectoral-fin spine and can be distinguished from other species in the group by a unique combination of characteristics, including: an upper jaw longer than the lower jaw; maxillary barbels reaching the middle of the pectoral fin; irregular blotches present on the lateral body; a rounded caudal-fin with a length ranging from 16.5% to 19.9% of the standard length; 39 to 41 post-Weberian vertebrae; and 15 to 17 anal-fin rays. The validity of this new species is further supported by the molecular phylogenetic analysis based on Cytb sequences.

Return to “Taxonomy & Science News”