Catfish for 10 gal with betta?

Post pictures of your beloved catfish aquaria here. Also good for pictures of your (cat)fish rooms or equipment discussions. If you are posting pictures of identified catfish, please do so in the appropriate husbandry and reproduction forum above.
aquarianibis
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Rochester
Location 2: NY

Catfish for 10 gal with betta?

Post by aquarianibis »

Hello, all! I’m fairly new to the fishkeeping hobby, so please be patient with me... I am setting up a 10 gal tank and I am planning to move my male betta into it. I’ve read that fish that live at a different water level (eg bottom-dwellers) are sometimes successful as tankmates with bettas. Also, I just love catfish! I’ve been leaning toward corys (maybe a small group of pandas?) but I am certainly open to suggestions! What do you think would work in my tank? (Keeping the betta in a separate tank is an option, but I’d rather put him in the bigger tank.) In the forums over at PRAquatics someone suggested , so that’s on my list of ideas. I also really like plecos. Thanks for any ideas you have!
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Re: Catfish for 10 gal with betta?

Post by bekateen »

Hi aquarianibis,

Welcome to Planetcatfish.

As for your question, panda corys should be okay with your betta. I haven't combined these before, so I do have some thoughts. 1) Corys can be quite active, but bettas are less so. Will the high activity of the corys annoy or stress your betta? 2) Corys are a schooling/shoaling type of fish,
so whatever type of cory you buy, plan on getting 5 or more to reduce their stress (5 is not a magic number, but I feel it is a minimum). 3) Panda corys enjoy (but don't "need") some current in the tank, but bettas prefer still water as far as I know. So if you put the two together, keep the water sufficiently oxygenated (with your filter flow or an added airstone) but not too strongly moving.

Good luck,
Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
aquarianibis
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My Wishlist: 1
Spotted: 4
Location 1: Rochester
Location 2: NY

Post by aquarianibis »

Thanks, Eric!
TwoTankAmin
I've donated: $4288.00!
My cats species list: 6 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:48)
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Mt. Kisco, NY
Interests: Fish and Poker

Post by TwoTankAmin »

A long time ago I decided to see why some folks were into Betta splendens. So I set up a pair of 2.5 gal. well planted tanks placed end to end on a shelf six feet up a wall. Into each tank went a male splendens and 3 panda cory. The two Bettas were too busy most of the time displaying at each other through the end glass to care about the pandas. About 8 months later I had to admit I was not a splendens person.

So I gave away the two bettas and replaced the two 2.5 gal. tanks with a single 5.5. The plants and 6 pandas from the 2.5s went into the bigger tank. Over the next few years I kept an assortment of smaller shorter lived fish on this tank. The corys are gone and today the tank holds and long standing colony of cherry shrimp and a small herd of Celestichthys margaritatus (Celestial Pearl Danio).

At a later time I kept a trio of Betta imbellis in a planted 10. They bred through another generation before I lost them. When in spawning mode these fish look amazing.
No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Return to “Tank Talk”