PLECOS and Indian Almond Leaf

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
Are06n
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 14 (i:10, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:21)
Location 2: Wamberal

PLECOS and Indian Almond Leaf

Post by Are06n »

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone is using Indian Almond Leaf in there tanks. Have you noticed any benefical outcomes from using it. They say it has antibacterial properties, helps stabilize water parameters, promotes breeding and good for Fry growth.

Any input would be appreciated on this topic.
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Re: PLECOS and Indian Almond Leaf

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
just wondering if anyone is using Indian Almond Leaf in there tanks. Have you noticed any benefical outcomes from using it. They say it has antibacterial properties, helps stabilize water parameters, promotes breeding and good for Fry growth.
I think a lot of us use Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa) Alder (Alnus spp.) cones or Oak (Quercus spp.) leaves in our tanks, and they all act in a similar manner. I'm convinced that they are an important aid to fry growth and survival.

Have a look a these threads: <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =6&t=37029>, <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... hp?t=19561>, <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =6&t=34496> & <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... =6&t=35069>.

cheers Darrel
CoryfanAad
My images: 2
My cats species list: 1 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 2: Holland

Post by CoryfanAad »

ImageImage use them in all my thanks. Love them, looks natural, its an natural "antibiotic" and shrimp (bamboo) love to eat them when they are getting softer.Image this time i have huge ones. Think the next time i'll takensome smaller. Cheers Aad
Are06n
I've donated: $20.00!
My cats species list: 14 (i:10, k:0)
My aquaria list: 2 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:0, p:21)
Location 2: Wamberal

Post by Are06n »

Thanks for the information and pictures guys.
ali12345
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:2)
Location 2: Surrey

Post by ali12345 »

Hi,
If you use oak leaves, when should they be collected - as soon as they fall? Do they need then to be dried?
Have got some oak trees in the garden and would love to give it a go but a bit overcautious I think.
thanks
dw1305
Location 1: Corsham, UK
Location 2: Bath, UK
Interests: Natural History, Ecology, Plants, Biotopes, Taxonomy, Nitrification, Cricket & Northern Soul

Post by dw1305 »

Hi all,
If you use oak leaves, when should they be collected - as soon as they fall?
In the autumn, although some Oaks will hang on to their leaves until spring. You can store them dry, or freeze them. If there are intact dead leaves under the tree you can still collect them now. Evergreen Oaks like Quercus ilex and Q. suber (Holm and Cork Oak) shed dead leaves through-out the year.

cheers Darrel
ali12345
My cats species list: 37 (i:0, k:0)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:2)
Location 2: Surrey

Post by ali12345 »

Thanks. I will look later but I think they are all destroyed by the weather.
wijnands
My images: 1
My cats species list: 2 (i:2, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:1)
My BLogs: 1 (i:2, p:21)
Location 2: netherlands

Post by wijnands »

Probably. American readers should avoid black oak though, that's not suitable for aquarium.

My ancistrus sometimes use the leaf cover to sneak up on an unsuspecting piece of veg. Great fun to see.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”