L128 Spawn!

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
MarcW
I've donated: $150.00!
My images: 4
My cats species list: 46 (i:9, k:19)
My aquaria list: 3 (i:1)
My BLogs: 12 (i:16, p:575)
My Wishlist: 55
Spotted: 42
Location 1: Hampshire
Location 2: UK

Re: L128 Spawn!

Post by MarcW »

I've just returned from a 10/11 day business trip, when doing water changes yesterday I found all 4 adult L128 dead, all my other fish are fine, including the 6 young which are in a different tank. I've added some pictures below but I believe there were several factors which caused this, hopefully by sharing them others can avoid similar issues. I don't believe it was leaving the fish for 10/11 days which caused them to die, but:

1. I recently started trying a new food which they didn't seem to take to as well as the previous one, I left instructions that they be fed this 3 times while I was away, they didn't eat much if any of the food, which was decaying in the tank when I returned. Next time, I will not leave instructions to feed any larger fish while I'm away, they will be fine for a week or two without food. Maybe just a small pinch of flake for small tetras to keep them going once a week.
2. The flow from the filter (air powered HMF) was very slow when I returned, the same for the air driven sponge filter, I should have cleaned these before I left, and with the decaying food maybe there was an issue with low dissolved oxygen in the water, due to the significantly reduced flow.
3. From looking at the faeces a while back I thought they may need to be wormed soon, but I kept putting it off, maybe this didn't help when combined with the other factors above.
4. I noticed a yellow oily like substance, in some of the caves and floating on the water, maybe fats from the fish decaying, maybe something else? I've not seen this before, there is a picture below.

I tested for Ammonia, but found none, I was expecting to find some, the smell wasn't great, after that I didn't perform any further tests.

One fish, I believe the female, was in a worse state than the others, had maybe been dead for 2-3 days, very swollen, with eyes popping out, I guess this further contributed to the loss of the others, who only showed very early signs of swelling. The one with the hollow looking stomach in the pictures below is the one which was most swollen but deflated while I was removing it from the tank.

The young look great, so I will concentrate on raising them for now, hopefully they will breed in a year or two once they put on some more size.
Yellow oil like substance floating on the water
Yellow oil like substance floating on the water
L128 top.jpg
L128 bottom.jpg
Fundulopanchax76
My cats species list: 12 (i:7, k:0)
My Wishlist: 2
Location 1: Bulgaria
Location 2: Sliven

Post by Fundulopanchax76 »

Sorry for your fish ! I just found my 128 eat with big appetite raw potatoes so i have not problem with food anymore. Of course they have ever been eating flakes and tablets. Maybe you can find some new big 128 on market ?
But yes decaying food is reason for death of yours - it makes bacterias breed explosively and they atack and kill fish ! That happens everytime someone let too much food in the tank !
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

Sorry to hear you lost them! It happens to us all..... :((

Chuck
MrRRunner
My cats species list: 6 (i:6, k:3)
My aquaria list: 4 (i:1)
Spotted: 6
Location 1: Stafford
Location 2: Staffordshire
Interests: Pleco's

Post by MrRRunner »

Sorry to hear of your loss too,
CHRIS
GirlsGotFisshues
My cats species list: 25 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 16 (i:0)
My BLogs: 2 (i:3, p:91)
Spotted: 27
Location 1: DC Metro, United States
Location 2: MD

Post by GirlsGotFisshues »

Fundulopanchax76 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 11:18 Sorry for your fish ! I just found my 128 eat with big appetite raw potatoes so i have not problem with food anymore. Of course they have ever been eating flakes and tablets. Maybe you can find some new big 128 on market ?
But yes decaying food is reason for death of yours - it makes bacterias breed explosively and they atack and kill fish ! That happens everytime someone let too much food in the tank !
Raw potatoes? Really? huh.

Sorry for your loss. Getting them grown to a point where you can reliably identify a pair and get them spawning takes a lot of time, patience, and love.
bekateen
I've donated: $40.00!
My articles: 4
My images: 130
My cats species list: 142 (i:102, k:39)
My aquaria list: 36 (i:13)
My BLogs: 44 (i:149, p:2671)
My Wishlist: 35
Spotted: 177
Location 1: USA, California, Stockton
Location 2: USA, California, Stockton

Post by bekateen »

Sorry for your loss. That is always disappointing. And frustrating.

Regards, Eric
Find me on YouTube and Facebook: http://youtube.com/user/Bekateen1; https://www.facebook.com/Bekateen
Buying caves from https://plecocaves.com? Plecocaves sponsor Bekateen's Fishroom. Use coupon code "bekateen" (no quotes) for 15% off your order.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I think it's mostly reduced DO - been there. That said, I also learned never to clean a filter less than three days before a trip because they can sometimes break due to cleaning. If I were travelling on a Monday, I'd always hit the maintenance on Friday night or Saturday morning.

I've left fishes in the fish room for 2 weeks without food, no issue. It's failure of filters and less so heaters that account that have caused me the most grief.

HTH,

Jools
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

Thanks Jools, next time I won't feed when I'm away, I guess I've got lucky with everything being fine in the past.

I didn't think the HMF would clog so quickly, I have a feeling it may have been something to do with the gelling agents in the Repashy food, as the two tanks where I heavily feed Repashy had the foam clog, but none of the others have. I'll feed that a bit more sparingly in future.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

Also consider adding cherry shrimp to infest the HMF.

Jools
MarcW

Post by MarcW »

Good idea I'll look out for some this weekend!
ElTofi
My articles: 3
My images: 47
My cats species list: 33 (i:13, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
My BLogs: 7 (i:0, p:373)
My Wishlist: 4
Spotted: 16
Location 1: Châtel St Denis
Location 2: Switzerland

Post by ElTofi »

you know how much I understand what you just lived...

but most of all, finding solutions not to repeat this defeat/error/drama (choose the right word) and to raise again.
the Potamotrygon adventure has begun...
Tony4143
My cats species list: 81 (i:0, k:30)
My BLogs: 3 (i:0, p:27)
My Wishlist: 34
Spotted: 44
Location 1: Tampa, Florida
Location 2: USA
Interests: Church, Family, Plecos, Corys, and fast cars

Post by Tony4143 »

So sorry for your loss