How to keep my new L340?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
AvielBS
Location 1: Israel
Location 2: Petch Tikva

How to keep my new L340?

Post by AvielBS »

Hi everybody :)
3 days ago, iv'e got new 6 X L340. (had 12 and 6 go to a friend so the pic is just to show size :) )
Their size is about 2.5-3 cm.
Their in 240L tank with those partners:
1X Discus (probably more will be added later)
6X Otocinclous
2X Butterfly Loach

As can be see in pic, it's planted tank (light on for about 6-6.5 hours a day)
and there is 2 woods and one ceramic cave (hiden with some moss)

Is it ok for they?
I tried to find them now and didn't find even one. Did they just worry and little stressed and go out later?
More tips will be very welcomed :)

Thanks and hi everybody, i'm new here.
:)
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Re: How to keep my new L340?

Post by stuby »

Welcome to planetcatfish Aviel,

They should be fine in that tank. L340's are a skittish fish and you will not see a lot of them. But the more they feel safe the more they will come out and you will see them more too. Make sure to feed them after the lights are out and check for any uneaten food in the morning. Meaty foods are a must but should also have a little vegie matter in it as well. Some caves would be in order.... but till they have some more size to them isn't a "must have".

Take care,
Chuck
AvielBS

Post by AvielBS »

Thanks Chuck :)

Iv'e got some waffers (veggie) and my meatie food is a mix of Tetra bits and Tetra pro colour also I feed with Tetra pro algae. Is it enough for them?
I hope that the woods and the cave make them feel safe but right now there is nobody in the cave
stuby
I've donated: $25.00!
My images: 1
My cats species list: 1 (i:1, k:0)
My aquaria list: 1 (i:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: USA
Location 2: Big Rapids, MI.

Post by stuby »

They will not eat much of the algae wafers as they are primarily carnivores. But the others should be eaten well! By some vegies I refer to not all meat pellets and such... some vegie matter in their diet is good for them and a very small amount of algae wafers every so often is good. L340's also enjoy chewing on wood a bit..... not a wood eater but they do eat a bit of it.

Take care,
Chuck
AvielBS

Post by AvielBS »

Well,
because I missed them and a little bit afraid (and also because some of my plants and moss decided to get out from substrate\woods) I decided to clean some mess in my tank and take out the woods (there are 2 woods) and some of the plants to plant them again so I hope I will get to see some of my new buddies (even not all the 6 together, I just want to know they are OK and be calm again) so after that I will update.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I would keep changes to the tank decor to a minimum if you want to get the best chance to see your plecos. Every change "resets the clock", and it normally takes a few months of regular feeding and water maintenance for them to regularly be seen for feeding.

Jools
AvielBS

Post by AvielBS »

Undersood.
You think they should grow better in the small tank (30X30 cm, about 27 literes)
or I should let them stay in the big tank? I'm afraid they can't get food because the tank is too big for them and also there ar some other fish's that can take the food from them?
I see that almost always some food left on the ground but i'm not sure if they eat.
Jools
Expert
My articles: 197
My images: 944
My catfish: 238
My cats species list: 87 (i:13, k:1)
My BLogs: 7 (i:7, p:202)
My Wishlist: 23
Spotted: 447
Location 1: Middle Earth,
Location 2: Scotland
Interests: All things aquatic, Sci-Fi, photography and travel. Oh, and beer.

Post by Jools »

I think moving them may cause more disruption than good. Perhaps the smaller tank would have been a good idea, but it is quite small. I would not move them until they are settled, which could then be counterproductive.

The main thing is to keep the water quality good and feed them well, because it's a larger tank, regularly at the same spot, they will get used to this and start feeding. I wouldn't add any more fishes for a while (months) to avoid food competition.

Jools
AvielBS

Post by AvielBS »

Sounds good Jools, thanks.
Yesterday I had to rearrange the woods in the tanks because some plants problems and some moss that released from the woods, and when I took out the woods from the water I got to see those guys :YMHUG: :YMHUG: I bringed the woods exactly where their was and I will keep feed in the same spot. Today I will go to buy some meaty sinking food to make sure they have a plenty varies of food.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”