Gold Nugget pleco, how compatible?

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
saylaveev
Location 1: West Coast Canada

Gold Nugget pleco, how compatible?

Post by saylaveev »

I have a chance to head over to Vancouver to pick up a 5 " gold nugget pleco. (for the charming price of $75 CDN).

Before I really consider it, I already have a royal pleco, and numerous other bottom feeders.

I noticed in the catelog that they don't like sharing space with other bottom guys... is this true?

Is it a space thing? will the royal and gold fight???

Its a 90 gal tank with lots of hiding spaces, so far, each bottom guy has his own spot, but the raf cats and royal grumble at eachother once in a while while they fight over the favorite rock.
Just one obsessed fish lover looking for more fish lovers.
Moderator at about.com freshwater aquria forum.
My fishy friend include: 1 african butterfly, 4 silver dollars,3 rope fish, 2 raf cats, 2 bristlenose plecos, 1 royal pleco, 3 yellow labs, 3 acei's, and a blue crayfish.
Sadly missing, Spot, dearly departed 7" ghost knife
der Ingo
Location 1: Southern California
Interests: Plecos!

Post by der Ingo »

I would only be worried about the gold nugget being able to get enough to eat. With many other bottom feeders, the nugget often has trouble getting the food it needs. As for the size of the tank, it seems fine. A 90 gallon is plenty big, although you may want to move the nugget if the others get too big. If you do get it, make sure you quarantine and deworm first. That will help get the nugget on its way instead of throwing it in a tank and forcing it to immediately compete.
Meganfitz
Location 1: Oregon

Post by Meganfitz »

I recently purchased a gold nugget and he's in a 55g with a liposarcus, violet/bruno, and a L205 pleco. He is out and about all day long cleaning the glass and cruising for food. Now, I don't know if he's out because he can't get along or if he just likes being out during the day, but I thought I would share my experience. HTH :D
saylaveev
Location 1: West Coast Canada

Post by saylaveev »

Interesting, Thanks for the tips.

Of course they would be in a qtank for at least a month. I like to know they are eating already. I always feed quite a bit for my bottom guys. So I don't think lack of food would be a problem.

Anyone else with advice?
Just one obsessed fish lover looking for more fish lovers.
Moderator at about.com freshwater aquria forum.
My fishy friend include: 1 african butterfly, 4 silver dollars,3 rope fish, 2 raf cats, 2 bristlenose plecos, 1 royal pleco, 3 yellow labs, 3 acei's, and a blue crayfish.
Sadly missing, Spot, dearly departed 7" ghost knife
Birger
Expert
My articles: 10
My images: 112
My cats species list: 49 (i:43, k:0)
Spotted: 35
Location 1: Edmonton,Alberta
Location 2: Canada

Post by Birger »

Saylaveev,just to give you something to compare to,Gold Nuggets are quite often available in Calgary and are usually around $60 Canadian,no matter which L-number they put on it.

Return to “South American Catfishes (Loricariidae - Plecos et al)”