C. Elegans vs. C. Pestai

All posts regarding the care and breeding of these catfishes from South America.
philtre
My images: 3
My cats species list: 29 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 1
Location 1: sg

C. Elegans vs. C. Pestai

Post by philtre »

Hi all ...

is C. Elegans is different from C. Pestai right? Came across some info where they list

C. Elegans
synonym C. Pestai

and according to m-w.com, synonym could mean " a taxonomic name rejected as being incorrectly applied or incorrect in form"

So in this case, does it mean that C. Pestai was once wrongly identified as C. Elegans?

appreciate your thoughts on this.

thanks,
philtre
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

No, this just means that <i>C. pestai</i> is considered the same species as <i>C. elegans</i> (according to Nijssen & Isbrücker, 1980). This will not be particualrly easy to verify, since <i>C. pestai</i> was described from aquarium material without exact locality and the holotype (which was deposited in Munich) was destroyed in World War II.

Heok Hee
Coryman
Expert
My articles: 12
My catfish: 5
My cats species list: 83 (i:0, k:0)
My BLogs: 1 (i:0, p:1)
Spotted: 194
Location 1: Kidderminster UK
Location 2: Kidderminster, UK
Interests: Cory's, Loricariids, photography and more Cory's

Post by Coryman »

Philtre

They are indeed two distinct species.

C. elegans male,

C. pestai male.

Within this group (So called 'elegans') there a number of species that look similar especially at first glance, I have them all displayed on one page at http://www.corydoras.pwp.blueyonder.co. ... _group.htm

Ian
philtre

Post by philtre »

Hi Ian,
thanks very much for the clarification. After you did an ID for us, me and my pals were wondering what the synonym meant. hehehe ... and we were getting a little confused. this helps.

Heok Hee,
thanks for the explanation. hmmmm ...which brings me to this question:

could someone please advise what does it mean when a species is listed as a synonym under another ? same family?

thanks!
Silurus
I've donated: $12.00!
My articles: 55
My images: 884
My catfish: 1
My cats species list: 90 (i:0, k:0)
Spotted: 419
Location 1: Singapore
Location 2: Moderator Emeritus

Post by Silurus »

When species A and B are said to be synonyms, this means that they are regarded as the same species. Whether the name A or B should be applied to the species depends on which is the older name: if A is the older name, then the correct name to use would be A and vice versa.
There are two kinds of synonymy: subjective and objective. Most of the synonymies encountered are subjective synonymies, because the two species names were described from different specimens collected at different times (and in many cases, different localities). Since scientists use different species concepts (according to individual beliefs), the subjective synonymy is not "fixed" in the sense that one person may consider A and B to be distinct species, while another may consider A and B to be the same species (for which EITHER A OR B as the name is used).
Objective synonymy is more clear cut, since both the names A and B are described from the same specimen(s) collected at the same locality and the same time. In this case, only the older name (either A or B) is applied and the younger name is never used when referring to the species.
If this sounds confusing, I can try to explain further off this forum (and stop boring everyone else).

Heok Hee
philtre

Post by philtre »

Hi Heok Hee,

thanks very much for the explanation. I think I got it. :wink: I think. heh. ; )

IT was very detailed and enlightening ... heheh ... gonna keep it in my little mental pouch for reference.

cheers
philtre

Return to “South American Catfishes (Callichthyidae - Corys et al)”